Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Midway chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Midway Park Saver gets recommended here often, but for me, that's all the way at the furthest corner of the airport. Southeast of the terminal. So I've never tried them and probably never will.

My only complaint about the economy garage is that the busses sometimes run on random schedules. A big delay, then there will be six busses in ten minutes.
For me, the benefit of Midway Park Saver is the lack of a need for a bus - just lock the car and walk to the terminal and, upon returning, walk from the plane to the car without stopping (when driving versus Orange Line). For $12/day, it is a decent value/convenience proposition for me.

However, the heated garage at Fast Park may be enough to lure me away in the winter months if the busses are quick and reliable.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: Southwest
Midway is not in a "bad" area. But travel 5 miles east and you're in trouble.

I do agree with OP that it appears to be simple for anyone off the street to just walk up to a baggage carousel and walk off with whatever baggage they want to. They'll surely be caught on video, but a lot of the bad people here in Chicago don't really care about that.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
I wanted to say how much I like Fast Park ( https://www.thefastpark.com/airport-...ago-midway-mdw ) at MDW. It is on the corner of Cicero and Archer with an entrance on both streets.

I have parked 4 times in the last 3 months. Parking is in a heated garage. You are told where to park and the shuttle bus is there waiting for you. Shuttle bus promptly leaves for airport. On pickup the bus was waiting for me twice and I didn’t wait for the bus more than 2 minutes the other times. After the first person gets on the bus, the driver hits a timer and after 2 minutes leaves for the garage, even if you are only person on bus. Bus drops you off at your car.

Parking is $11 per day which is $4 less than economy lot. I would use these guys if they were $4 more than economy lot.
I stay at Park and Fly.

pnf.com

About $11. 10% off AARP and probably others. Stay 7 days, get one free. Coupons sometimes. Never have to wait more than a few.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Putnik
Frozen Home Run Inn is actually better than their restaurant pizza. I've buying their frozen pizza for years and a couple years ago went to their restaurant location in Darien. The pizza was not that good.
I had it once at Midway and was disappointed. Surprised it could exist in Chicago with so much other amazing pizza to pick from.

Never tried a frozen one.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:51 pm

Midway manages to get worse and worse. Why is it that their "renovations" and "upgrades" remove all the convenient and good concessions and replace them with worse ones?

I am still not over Potbelly leaving and being replaced with the most disgusting "pizza" place ever. "Who wants fresh made-to-order sandwiches when you can eat pre-made frozen pizza?!" said no one ever. But I noticed on my last trip, they got rid of Dunkin Donuts and a Mexican restaurant and something else, and replaced it with a wall of terrible snacks in a long, slow line. It's such a bizarre design decision. At this point, I avoid layovers through Midway. It sucks.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Dunkin Donuts is getting its own large space in the middle of the concourse - I forget if it is A or B.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Dunkin Donuts is getting its own large space in the middle of the concourse - I forget if it is A or B.
It's not there yet. And once they got rid of Potbelly, the next best vegetarian option for me was that Mexican restaurant. I don't think there's any Mexican food in Midway at all anymore, despite it being, I'd guess, in the top 3 most popular types of cuisines in America.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
No its not there yet, but should be soon.

I am in total agreement that MDW went from one of the worst food offerings in the midwest to the worst food offering in the midwest.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:31 pm
glg

Originally Posted by oreocookies
It's not there yet. And once they got rid of Potbelly, the next best vegetarian option for me was that Mexican restaurant. I don't think there's any Mexican food in Midway at all anymore, despite it being, I'd guess, in the top 3 most popular types of cuisines in America.
Quite a bit of the SW side of Chicago (where Midway is located) is majority hispanic as well.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oreocookies
Midway manages to get worse and worse. Why is it that their "renovations" and "upgrades" remove all the convenient and good concessions and replace them with worse ones?

I am still not over Potbelly leaving and being replaced with the most disgusting "pizza" place ever. "Who wants fresh made-to-order sandwiches when you can eat pre-made frozen pizza?!" said no one ever. But I noticed on my last trip, they got rid of Dunkin Donuts and a Mexican restaurant and something else, and replaced it with a wall of terrible snacks in a long, slow line. It's such a bizarre design decision. At this point, I avoid layovers through Midway. It sucks.
Because it’s Chicago and somebody is getting bribed.

Yes, it is that simple.

Hard for folks not from around here to understand the depth of corruption in this area. It’s absolutely everywhere.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:18 am
glg

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Because it’s Chicago and somebody is getting bribed.

Yes, it is that simple.

Hard for folks not from around here to understand the depth of corruption in this area. It’s absolutely everywhere.
Note that the bribes for bigger contracts these days are rarely straight up cash in an envelope. It'll be something like "okay, company A, you can have this contract ... if you give my kid a do-nothing job paying 6 figures." Or "I'll give this contract to B's kid's company. He'll help my kid get one in the future." Smaller stuff like developers buying zoning changes are more likely to be cash in an envelope.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Because it’s Chicago and somebody is getting bribed. Yes, it is that simple. Hard for folks not from around here to understand the depth of corruption in this area. It’s absolutely everywhere.
What is Rahm doing nowadays?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:31 am
glg

Originally Posted by Tanic
What is Rahm doing nowadays?
He's got much bigger connections than running a contract. He went back to investment banking, which is what he did from '98 (after leaving the Clinton administration) and '02 (when he was elected to Congress). He's also been doing the talking head/commentator thing on ABC and writing for The Atlantic.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:14 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
We made the escape from Illinois last year to Tampa. The differences between ORD/MDW and TPA are shocking. Management of TPA is very concerned about their reputation and public perception. They are active on social media and will take criticism and suggestions seriously and they protect their reputation with vigor. First time I came home on a flight into TPA I was grinning like a kid in a candy store. There are good quality restaurants on both sides of security, it’s clean and bright and people are nice. One of my favorite features is that you can use your toll pass for parking. No ticket required. Just pull up to the gate and go. Illinois is so broken.
jmw likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Does MDW need improvement, of course. But to compare a airport sitting on a plot of land of one square mile to one on over five square miles that allows for more flexibility, isn't exactly comparing apples to apples, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.