Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Agent hung up on me for using F word during IRROPS rebook call!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Agent hung up on me for using F word during IRROPS rebook call!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:27 pm

Why should any customer service agent have to put up with your vulgar language? I am guessing that along with your inappropriate language you were feeling stressed out and your tone and volume may have been escalating at the same time.

None of us say or do things perfectly when under stress. I get that. What I don't get is that you think the customer service agent did something wrong by ending an abusive conversation.
wrp96 and Proudelitist like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pt flyer
Why should any customer service agent have to put up with your vulgar language? I am guessing that along with your inappropriate language you were feeling stressed out and your tone and volume may have been escalating at the same time.

None of us say or do things perfectly when under stress. I get that. What I don't get is that you think the customer service agent did something wrong by ending an abusive conversation.
I don't know, guys.
Seems like dealing with irritated customers is a significant part of the job. And stressed, irritated people are usually not very pleasant. The skill of
CSAs is not becoming unpleasant themselves in the face of it. (I couldn't do it and respect those that can).
Reading his own description, the OP was stressed and unpleasant. Either he encountered a CSA who doesn't prefer to deal with unhappy customers or he got hung up on over a dirty word. Not even directed at the agent; I dispute the conversation as reported was abusive. Though I understand the presumption that it could have become so.
It's not that big a deal, he can call back. But I don't think the single utterance of a word in that context should be that big a deal either.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:58 pm
Suspended

It is standard CS practice in almost every company, no matter what the industry, to disengage the second profanity is used. My company tells that to front line workers as well. Whatever the customer's issue is, once profanity is used the interaction is terminated.

I suggest you get a grip on yourself when in a charged situation. It's always more effective to be cool, collected, and factual when dealing with representatives.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
As I said, I curse all the f’n time. But if someone did that to me in the context of business, I would hang up immediately.

There is a time and a place. Conversing with someone you do not know is not the time or place. Case closed, the end.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lordy...I hope there's a tape (for SWA to review).
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
It is standard CS practice in almost every company, no matter what the industry, to disengage the second profanity is used. My company tells that to front line workers as well. Whatever the customer's issue is, once profanity is used the interaction is terminated.

I suggest you get a grip on yourself when in a charged situation. It's always more effective to be cool, collected, and factual when dealing with representatives.

Thats NOT standard practice!!!! It's standard practice to warn the customer after the first use of a curse word.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I interned on Capitol Hill back in college, and one of the things I did was cover the main phone line when the receptionist was at lunch. One of the first things I was told was that my office's rule was that I could indeed disengage and hang up at the first profanity if I felt uncomfortable.

IMO, it's not unreasonable to say your customers are not allowed to swear at employees, and the customer is NOT always right.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rickg523
I don't know, guys.
. But I don't think the single utterance of a word in that context should be that big a deal either.
There is a thread on here where a poster was incensed that the FA jokingly told him Diet Coke was bad for him.

Another one upset that the FA referred to passengers as 'you guys'.

Another thread has a guy wanting to get a CSR fired for returning his sarcasm with sarcasm.

If the CSR had dropped the F Bomb, would it have been a big deal? You know it would have been grounds for dismissal.

I assume that I never treat a CSR any differently than I would want to be treated.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by DCAAA
she hangs up because of foul language!!!!
As was her right.

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Whatever the customer's issue is, once profanity is used the interaction is terminated.
Standard policy.

Originally Posted by jep8821
Thats NOT standard practice!!!! It's standard practice to warn the customer after the first use of a curse word.
Actually, every customer service operation I have worked with allows the agent to hang up when the customer uses profanity.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
It's also entirely possible the connection fell through.

But you seem to think you can be the only one in the right here, so it must be my mistake.

I don't have the cleanest mouth, and everyone gets frustrated, but in this exact same situation I would've said the same thing as you, but omitted the F word, I'd guess my experience would've been different.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
Wow, thats some victim blaming. Should all airline passengers, when booking flights, also pre-emptively develop backup plans?
Absofreakinglutely. See what I did there.

But seriously yes. I always think of worst case scenario what can I do?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by DCAAA
Flight canceled and I’m trying to rebook. 25 minutes wait on hold. Agent says to rebook us in next available flight there is a change in fare (more $$$). I say “how the F can there be a price increase if you canceled my flight???”

she hangs up because of foul language!!!!

I’m sorry if some religious nut or whatever doesn’t like the F word but I’m upset and this makes my situation worse
Methinks there’s a bit more to it. Were you changing your city? If yes, then you pay fare difference. If not, she was in the wrong.
Also calls drop all the time. Are you completely sure it was intentional? Did she announce she was releasing the call?
NextTrip likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
There is a thread on here where a poster was incensed that the FA jokingly told him Diet Coke was bad for him.

Another one upset that the FA referred to passengers as 'you guys'.

Another thread has a guy wanting to get a CSR fired for returning his sarcasm with sarcasm.

If the CSR had dropped the F Bomb, would it have been a big deal? You know it would have been grounds for dismissal.

I assume that I never treat a CSR any differently than I would want to be treated.
As I was trying to say, CSR is a difficult job that requires a considerable amount of patience dealing with upset customers. I couldn't do it and respect those that can. But relative equanimity in the face of a maelstrom is what they get paid for. So yes, I can see a higher standard on their side of the ledger.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Agents make mistakes. Guess what... so do computers! In fact I would say that computers make more mistakes than experienced employees do.

A response of "but Southwest canceled my flight, why would there be a fare difference?" would have resulted in a "oops, sorry, I missed that [insert reason here, if any]", and a re-booking at no extra charge.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
OK, the curse word argument aside, why in the world would the OP need to pay more money if his flight was cancelled? I've changed flights many times under weather waivers/flight cancellations and I've been able to change the origin or destination city with no charge/fee. Heck AA once changed my flight at no extra charge to me when I missed my flight by being late to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.