FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Tour of 10 cities promotes new RR Priority CC; up to 65K bonus, $149 fee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1920732-tour-10-cities-promotes-new-rr-priority-cc-up-65k-bonus-149-fee.html)

toomanybooks Jul 19, 2018 8:06 am

Tour of 10 cities promotes new RR Priority CC; up to 65K bonus, $149 fee

john398 Jul 19, 2018 8:28 am

I signed up but can't tell when hey will be in Dallas

synergistic Jul 19, 2018 8:56 am

Looks like: July 21, 4 – 8:30 pm, Globe Life Park

Nothing near me, or any overlap with our upcoming travel. Ah, well.

john398 Jul 19, 2018 9:10 am

Originally Posted by synergistic (Post 29990958)
Looks like: July 21, 4 – 8:30 pm, Globe Life Park

Nothing near me, or any overlap with our upcoming travel. Ah, well.

Thanks, although I probably be at Mesquite Rodeo Saturday for $1 hot dog night

ursine1 Jul 19, 2018 9:34 am

New Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card: up to 65k bonus, $149 fee

Earn up to 65,000 points.* Plus perks on perks on perks.

• 7,500 anniversary points
  • 4 Upgraded Boardings** per year
  • $75 Southwest® annual travel credit
  • 20% back on inflight purchases
*Offer ends 8/22/18.
**When available.
$149 annual fee.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sou...Dual?CELL=653G

colvin84 Jul 19, 2018 10:15 am

Seems like a no brainer if the 75$ can be used to order a SW gift card. Whose going to be first data point? Gift card not listed as exclusion, but inflight and boarding are (which can buy with GC).

I have the premier and was offered 5k points to upgrade. Makes my decision easy. I actually keep my SW premier card and find value in the anniversary points to justify keeping in a least one primary account holders name. They don’t advertise, but intermittently send coupons for free alcoholic drinks as an added perk.

screeton Jul 19, 2018 10:17 am

The new card sounded interesting until I read the fine print that neither the 40,000 initial bonus points nor the 25,000 later bonus points would be awarded to holders of any current SWA credit cards. It might still be worth a second look, but I'll probably wait and see if any less restrictive bonus offers come along.

toomanybooks Jul 19, 2018 10:23 am

Originally Posted by screeton (Post 29991230)
The new card sounded interesting until I read the fine print that neither the 40,000 initial bonus points nor the 25,000 later bonus points would be awarded to holders of any current SWA credit cards. It might still be worth a second look, but I'll probably wait and see if any less restrictive bonus offers come along.

Holders of business CCs are ok:

The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapids Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. This does not apply to Cardmembers of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Card and Employee Credit Card products.

toomanybooks Jul 19, 2018 10:52 am

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 29991093)
  • 20% back on inflight purchases

Too bad you cannot buy WN GCs onboard.

mctrees02 Jul 19, 2018 11:13 am

Originally Posted by colvin84 (Post 29991228)
Seems like a no brainer if the 75$ can be used to order a SW gift card. Whose going to be first data point? Gift card not listed as exclusion, but inflight and boarding are (which can buy with GC).

I have the premier and was offered 5k points to upgrade. Makes my decision easy. I actually keep my SW premier card and find value in the anniversary points to justify keeping in a least one primary account holders name. They don’t advertise, but intermittently send coupons for free alcoholic drinks as an added perk.

What's the incentive for the $75 bill credit to apply against gift card purchases as opposed to purchased flights? I would doubt it would apply against point purchases as those are processed by points.com.

colvin84 Jul 19, 2018 11:18 am

Originally Posted by mctrees02 (Post 29991421)
What's the incentive for the $75 bill credit to apply against gift card purchases as opposed to purchased flights? I would doubt it would apply against point purchases as those are processed by points.com.

For me, its the ability to control when i spend the money. This year in particular, i already have the only SW flight i plan on taking booked. I can save the gift card for a future flight. Also, i typically pay in full by points and use SW gift cards for the taxes and fees.

tjh8402 Jul 19, 2018 11:24 am

So if I spend $75 a year on Southwest tickets and buy 4 upgraded boardings at the gate every year, that plus the anniversary points means the card more than pays for itself? I just got the sign-up bonus on the RR card back in March, so it would be two years before I would be eligible to get a sign up bonus on this card. However, with my flying pattern, it seems like this would be a worthwhile upgrade to look into, am I correct?

Shombolar Jul 19, 2018 11:25 am

I got the invite to upgrade to this card this morning in my email (with the 5K points incentive).

I have the Premier card, but I'm not A-List, so I always add the extra $30 for Early Bird r/t. It usually gets me anywhere from A20-50.

Upgrading to the Priority could mean A1-15 position, but the way I read the benefit is that you won't know until you're at the airport and they know whether there are seats available in those positions, which could be stressful if you check in manually and still find yourself with a boarding position you don't like.

That's the big — and possibly only — downside to upgrading.

tjh8402 Jul 19, 2018 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Shombolar (Post 29991472)
I got the invite to upgrade to this card this morning in my email (with the 5K points incentive).

I have the Premier card, but I'm not A-List, so I always add the extra $30 for Early Bird r/t. It usually gets me anywhere from A20-50.

Upgrading to the Priority could mean A1-15 position, but the way I read the benefit is that you won't know until you're at the airport and they know whether there are seats available in those positions, which could be stressful if you check in manually and still find yourself with a boarding position you don't like.

yes, you won’t know until you get to the gate if the upgraded boarding is available. However, in my experience over the last few years, I’ve never had a flight where that I wasn’t available. That’s one of the reasons I am inclined to think the car may be worth it to me. I think I easily spend more than that annual fee on the upgraded boardings every year.

colvin84 Jul 19, 2018 11:39 am

Originally Posted by tjh8402 (Post 29991468)
So if I spend $75 a year on Southwest tickets and buy 4 upgraded boardings at the gate every year, that plus the anniversary points means the card more than pays for itself? I just got the sign-up bonus on the RR card back in March, so it would be two years before I would be eligible to get a sign up bonus on this card. However, with my flying pattern, it seems like this would be a worthwhile upgrade to look into, am I correct?

Absolutely. I would call in and see if they will let you upgrade (or you can wait until eligible). 7500 annual RR points is worth $127.50 (valued at 1.7c per point) + 75$ credit + 4 upgraded boarding. Card more than pays for itself. I was offered 5k RR to upgrade and initiated the request.

mctrees02 Jul 19, 2018 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Shombolar (Post 29991472)

It's quite rare to see Business Select sold out (unless you're only flying on heavy business commuter flights). I run 30-40 segments per year and have never had an issue buying the upgrade. As I have A-list, I'll either use the upgrade perks to upgrade my children's tickets on family vacations or for the occasional long haul standby where I want to get inside A15 instead of boarding at A61 to improve my chances of an exit row.

Cledaybuck Jul 19, 2018 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by tjh8402 (Post 29991483)

yes, you won’t know until you get to the gate if the upgraded boarding is available. However, in my experience over the last few years, I’ve never had a flight where that I wasn’t available. That’s one of the reasons I am inclined to think the car may be worth it to me. I think I easily spend more than that annual fee on the upgraded boardings every year.

It's not going to be available a lot more after people get this card.

flyer4512 Jul 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Can the travel credit be used to pay 911 fees on tickets purchased with points ?

tjh8402 Jul 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 29991675)
It's not going to be available a lot more after people get this card.

it will just be first come first serve, which is the way it is now. As I read it, You still have to go up and pay for it at the gate. It’s not like you will get it at Booking or check-in. Whenever I fly Southwest, I already make sure I get there extra early just so I can have the best shot of buying up before someone else does.

screeton Jul 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 29991248)

Holders of business CCs are ok:

The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapids Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. This does not apply to Cardmembers of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Card and Employee Credit Card products.

Correct, and since posting my earlier comment, I've received an email offering 5,000 bonus points to upgrade my "Plus" credit card. That's not enough to make me go through the application process and the hassle of changing account numbers for all the "auto-pay" accounts, as well as the higher annual fee. The four upgrades (to A1-A15) a year would be nice, but most of the flights that I use do not have those available at the gate now, and the upgrades can only be purchased on day of departure at the ticket counter or gate.

rasheed Jul 19, 2018 1:41 pm

Anyone have a Chase portal URL that can be used to determine what sort of upgrade offer that is not individualized? Something similar to what Chase did for the new MR cards?

Rasheed

rasheed Jul 19, 2018 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by screeton (Post 29991875)
That's not enough to make me go through the application process and the hassle of changing account numbers for all the "auto-pay" accounts, as well as the higher annual fee.

Why do you think the account number would change? For Chase - usually, you could use the old card with the old expiration date for as long as you like under the upgraded terms.

worldwidedreamer Jul 19, 2018 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by tjh8402 (Post 29991468)
I just got the sign-up bonus on the RR card back in March, so it would be two years before I would be eligible to get a sign up bonus on this card. However, with my flying pattern, it seems like this would be a worthwhile upgrade to look into, am I correct?

As someone who picked up a WN card in November 2017 for the Cali CP, should I go for the new card or wait until the clock resets next year? I'm at about 60k CP points this year and 15k EQMs with 27 flights.

flyer4512 Jul 19, 2018 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 29992051)
As someone who picked up a WN card in November 2017 for the Cali CP, should I go for the new card or wait until the clock resets next year? I'm at about 60k CP points this year and 15k EQMs with 27 flights.

• The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapids Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. This does not apply to Cardmembers of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Card and Employee Credit Card products.

flyer4512 Jul 19, 2018 3:05 pm

5k point upgrade offer

isaac.chambers Jul 19, 2018 3:59 pm

I got the 5k upgrade offer...took it.

The upgraded boarding is good to use for your companion when they get a C BP.....less awkwardness saving a seat for so long...

Overall, its a better proposition that the Premier card for an A-List Preferred and CP holder.

ursine1 Jul 19, 2018 4:00 pm

Q: I know the bonus is subject to the 24-month rule, but when they say "current cardholders" how much time is necessary between closing an existing card and applying for the new one?

slickvik Jul 19, 2018 4:21 pm

New chase southwest card, 65k bonus $149 fee

Haven’t seen anything about it here but the link is live. 40k after 1k spend and 25k after 15k more. 5k targeted upgrade bonuses being offered also.

vike16 Jul 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Nice card, but not eligible now since I already have and closed the Southwest cards this year and have the CP through next year. I would think this card or a variant will still be around in 2020. This card combined with one of the others and the necessary spending would get you the CP.

However, don't miss the wording: Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months from account opening.†Same page link to Priority Offer details
Plus, earn 25,000 points after you spend a total of $15,000 within your first year from account opening.

In other words, you have to do a LOT of spending to get the extra points,

ftnoob Jul 19, 2018 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed (Post 29991945)
Anyone have a Chase portal URL that can be used to determine what sort of upgrade offer that is not individualized?

Doesn't seem possible, but you can go to https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/swa31 to enter your information then see your offer.

ave1024 Jul 20, 2018 6:10 am

I have a few questions:

if i am able to “upgrade” to this card, is that still re-applying for the card and do you still get the 40000 + 25000 plus an additional 5000? Or is an upgrade just the 5000 and they change your card?

i have a personal plus card that was opened around May 2016. First purchase was 5/17/16 for $2001 which was enough for the bonus back then. The terms of the new card say no bonus to anybody for 24 months. Is it 24 months of card opening, 24 months of statement turnover to get the bonus or 24 months of when the RR bonus points posted to my account? I should be eligible for this but don’t want to screw it up by being off a few days.

finally I noticed this card gives you 1500 TQP per $10000 spent up to 100k. I spend over 200k pet year for my business purchases. If I run this card to 100k, and another busonsss SW card I have to 100k is that 30,000 TQP? So I just need 5000 TQP for a list?

TIA

hbouta Jul 20, 2018 8:54 am

A few more questions about the perks here, based on this comment in the article posted upthread: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...comment-619273

The comment cites a CSR saying that "the $75 credit could be used for the four upgrades or other inflight purchases." -- should we take that to mean it can only be used on those things? IOW, could it be used for regular ticket purchases instead, or not?

Secondly, comment notes that "The card does not offer four free upgrades AND the $75 credit, not as good of a deal as originally thought." -- anyone have an idea about how this decision gets made? Since it's an automatic credit, I'm assuming it gets applied to your first purchases that would be applicable -- so for example, if you buy upgrades to existing tickets, that would count towards your 75 (and/or your upgrades), but perhaps depending on #1 above, if you buy a ticket first, it gets applied towards that?...

colvin84 Jul 20, 2018 9:04 am

Originally Posted by hbouta (Post 29994734)
A few more questions about the perks here, based on this comment in the article posted upthread: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...comment-619273

The comment cites a CSR saying that "the $75 credit could be used for the four upgrades or other inflight purchases." -- should we take that to mean it can only be used on those things? IOW, could it be used for regular ticket purchases instead, or not?

Secondly, comment notes that "The card does not offer four free upgrades AND the $75 credit, not as good of a deal as originally thought." -- anyone have an idea about how this decision gets made? Since it's an automatic credit, I'm assuming it gets applied to your first purchases that would be applicable -- so for example, if you buy upgrades to existing tickets, that would count towards your 75 (and/or your upgrades), but perhaps depending on #1 above, if you buy a ticket first, it gets applied towards that?...

This info Is clearly wrong, unless the team of attorneys drafting the terms and conditions messed it up. My guess is the CsR was not properly trained. The 75$ specifically excludes upgraded boarding (which you get 4 of, and cost 30-50 a piece).

The terms:

$75 Southwest Annual Travel Credit: A statement credit will automatically be applied to your account when your Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Priority Card is used for purchases (excluding Upgraded Boardings and inflight purchases), up to an anniversary year maximum accumulation of $75. Anniversary year means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement date after your account open date anniversary, and the 12 monthly billing cycles after that each year. Eligibility for a $75 Southwest Annual Travel Credit for accounts that switch to this product: Account open date is the date the switch is official in the Chase system. Statement credit(s) will post to your account the same day your Southwest Airlines purchase posts to your account and will appear on your monthly credit card billing statement within 1-2 billing cycles. The $75 Southwest Annual Travel Credit will be issued for the year in which the transaction posts to your account. For example, if you buy a Southwest Airlines ticket, but the airline does not post the transaction until after your current anniversary period ends, the cost of the ticket will be allocated towards the following year’s Southwest Annual Travel Credit maximum of $75.

Southwest Upgraded Boardings: Each anniversary year you will be reimbursed for the purchase of up to 4 Upgraded Boardings which are positions A1-A15. Upgraded Boardings may be purchased at the departure gate or ticket counter on the day of travel only, when available. Price of Upgraded Boardings is based on your itinerary. Anniversary year means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement date after your account open date anniversary, and the 12 monthly billing cycles after that each year. Eligibility for Upgraded Boardings for accounts that switch to this product: Account open date is the date the switch is official in the Chase system. After you make your purchase with your Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Card, you will receive a statement credit for the price of the Upgraded Boardings. Statement credit and purchase of Upgraded Boardings may not post on the same statement; please allow up to 8 weeks for the statement credit(s) to post to your account. You may purchase all 4 Upgraded Boardings at one time or on separate flights; you will only be reimbursed via statement credit for the first four Upgraded Boardings you purchase during your anniversary year. Account must be open and not in default at the time the statement credit is posted to your account.

joshua362 Jul 20, 2018 10:17 am

Originally Posted by ftnoob (Post 29993278)
Doesn't seem possible, but you can go to https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/swa31 to enter your information then see your offer.

Anyone else get this or is it just me?

Thank You

We are sorry. We are unable to process your request at this time.
For further assistance, please call the number on the back of your card.

Shombolar Jul 20, 2018 10:35 am

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 29995008)
Anyone else get this or is it just me?

Thank You

We are sorry. We are unable to process your request at this time.
For further assistance, please call the number on the back of your card.

Yes. I called the number on the back of the card and they seemed aware of the problem. The upgrade took just a couple of minutes by phone.

tjh8402 Jul 20, 2018 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Shombolar (Post 29995087)
Yes. I called the number on the back of the card and they seemed aware of the problem. The upgrade took just a couple of minutes by phone.

I don’t have my card with me. What is the number to call? I was getting the same message

tjh8402 Jul 20, 2018 12:15 pm

I was able to Google the number. Unfortunately, the representative told me that I am not eligible to upgrade at all. She said you have to have the card for at least a year before it can be upgraded

tstad Jul 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by ave1024 (Post 29994175)
I have a few questions:

if i am able to “upgrade” to this card, is that still re-applying for the card and do you still get the 40000 + 25000 plus an additional 5000? Or is an upgrade just the 5000 and they change your card?

i have a personal plus card that was opened around May 2016. First purchase was 5/17/16 for $2001 which was enough for the bonus back then. The terms of the new card say no bonus to anybody for 24 months. Is it 24 months of card opening, 24 months of statement turnover to get the bonus or 24 months of when the RR bonus points posted to my account? I should be eligible for this but don’t want to screw it up by being off a few days.

finally I noticed this card gives you 1500 TQP per $10000 spent up to 100k. I spend over 200k pet year for my business purchases. If I run this card to 100k, and another busonsss SW card I have to 100k is that 30,000 TQP? So I just need 5000 TQP for a list?

TIA

If you upgrade your card, all you get is the 5k points. I talked to a CSR this morning and if you upgrade it's not considered a re-apply, basically your line of credit will be transferred to the new card. If you want the 65k you have to cancel your current SW card and wait for it to show closed on your Credit Report, before applying for the new card.

I went ahead and cancelled mine, but just realized I've only had this card since Nov of 2016. So I have the same question as you as to the 24 month cool off period. I got the card in Nov 2016, but got my bonus points on my Jan 17 statement when I met the spend. I would like to know which metric Chase uses so I don't apply for the new card too soon...

Update: Chase re-opened my card, no use in cancelling until I'm eligible for a new sign up bonus.

ave1024 Jul 20, 2018 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by tstad (Post 29995467)
If you upgrade your card, all you get is the 5k points. I talked to a CSR this morning and if you upgrade it's not considered a re-apply, basically your line of credit will be transferred to the new card. If you want the 65k you have to cancel your current SW card and wait for it to show closed on your Credit Report, before applying for the new card.

I went ahead and cancelled mine, but just realized I've only had this card since Nov of 2016. So I have the same question as you as to the 24 month cool off period. I got the card in Nov 2016, but got my bonus points on my Jan 17 statement when I met the spend. I would like to know which metric Chase uses so I don't apply for the new card too soon...

If you are fine on 5/24 and haven't received a SW promo in over 2 years can't you just apply for the card if you already have a personal card or do they no longer allow that? Maybe if you apply and get the "we are reviewing your application" call them speak to the credit analyst and ask them to open this card in lieu of closing the other personal card? Sometimes credit analysts will also move some or all of the credit line over if you are closing a card.

roundtree Jul 20, 2018 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by tjh8402 (Post 29995465)
I was able to Google the number. Unfortunately, the representative told me that I am not eligible to upgrade at all. She said you have to have the card for at least a year before it can be upgraded

That restriction is due to Federal regulations. The card issuer is prohibited by law from changing the terms of your card less frequently than every 12 months. Hence, the waiting game...