Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Tour of 10 cities promotes new RR Priority CC; up to 65K bonus, $149 fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tour of 10 cities promotes new RR Priority CC; up to 65K bonus, $149 fee

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by tjh8402
I was able to Google the number. Unfortunately, the representative told me that I am not eligible to upgrade at all. She said you have to have the card for at least a year before it can be upgraded
I wonder if that's really true. I applied last June for a new Premier card, got approved and started using card in August (less than 12 months), but I was targeted with upgrade offer and was able to upgrade via the email recently.
Originally Posted by roundtree
That restriction is due to Federal regulations. The card issuer is prohibited by law from changing the terms of your card less frequently than every 12 months. Hence, the waiting game...
Interesting...I'll have to keep that in mind when I get future terms changes and see if it's valid.
Originally Posted by FSF
Only read a handful of the posts but am wondering what is the point of the "tour" from our perspective. I get why LUV wants to do it but what is the incentive for anyone of us to go to one of their tour stops? Sorry if this was covered.
I think this is a marketing / publicity tour to raise awareness, and give away some prizes at the tour. They are giving away various prizes including round trip for 2. I would go but I'm up in the air during the times they are doing the tour at locations relevant to me. Oh well.

I wasn't even aware of the new card, and didn't even see my email invitation to upgrade until I saw the publicity blitz via facebook ads.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
I wonder if that's really true. I applied last June for a new Premier card, got approved and started using card in August (less than 12 months), but I was targeted with upgrade offer and was able to upgrade via the email recently.
As I posted earlier, there is no law that specifically says a card issuer "can't change the terms more frequently than every 12 months."
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ursine1
As I posted earlier, there is no law that specifically says a card issuer "can't change the terms more frequently than every 12 months."
The major terms of a credit card account cannot be changed during the first 12 months that the account is open.

Section 172 of the Credit CARD Act of 2009:

SEC. 172. ADDITIONAL LIMITS ON INTEREST RATE INCREASES. ‘‘(a) LIMITATION ON INCREASES WITHIN FIRST YEAR.—Except in the case of an increase described in paragraph (1), (2), (3), or (4) of section 171(b), no increase in any annual percentage rate, fee, or finance charge on any credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan shall be effective before the end of the 1-year period beginning on the date on which the account is opened."
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by ryanmcv

The major terms of a credit card account cannot be changed during the first 12 months that the account is open.

Section 172 of the Credit CARD Act of 2009:

SEC. 172. ADDITIONAL LIMITS ON INTEREST RATE INCREASES. ‘‘(a) LIMITATION ON INCREASES WITHIN FIRST YEAR.—Except in the case of an increase described in paragraph (1), (2), (3), or (4) of section 171(b), no increase in any annual percentage rate, fee, or finance charge on any credit card account under an open end consumer credit plan shall be effective before the end of the 1-year period beginning on the date on which the account is opened."

A card issuing bank can absolutely change terms within that first 12 months. They just can't raise the ARP, fees or finance charge.

Interpretation of the CCA 2009 varies widely, primarily with respect to the nature of a particular bank's compliance staff.

I said earlier, any bank who says unequivocally they cannot change your account in the first 12 months from opening is most likely misinterpreting the law to benefits themselves.

<Full disclosure: My work includes liaising with bank compliance departments.>
steved5480 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:14 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Right now the blue truck is at the 12th Street BART entrance in Oakland. You type in your RR info and answer a silly survey quiz. Then you get a card for 1000 points. One in 4 people get a chance to win a prize.

They have several iPads to enter your info so there’s no waiting at all. I didn’t win but 1000 points for 2 minutes is fine by me.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Right now the blue truck is at the 12th Street BART entrance in Oakland. You type in your RR info and answer a silly survey quiz. Then you get a card for 1000 points. One in 4 people get a chance to win a prize.

They have several iPads to enter your info so there’s no waiting at all. I didn’t win but 1000 points for 2 minutes is fine by me.
Thanks for the report back! I am going to the San Jose dates (tomorrow/Sunday). I was trying to figure out what the process looked like on the day-of as I was still feeling a bit fuzzy after reading the rules/conditions. 1000 points for 2 minutes isn't bad
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by maybebehindyou
Thanks for the report back! I am going to the San Jose dates (tomorrow/Sunday). I was trying to figure out what the process looked like on the day-of as I was still feeling a bit fuzzy after reading the rules/conditions. 1000 points for 2 minutes isn't bad
I was also in Oakland today. Was kinda lame. Did learn that my RR number was not properly embossed on my credit card.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver
RR Priority credit card-is travel reimbursed for the $5.60 TSA fee on award flight

Does anyone know if the $75 travel credit applies to the $5.60 TSA security fee when you book an award flight?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:18 pm

Was in San Jose today. Lined up about 25 minutes before open and was about the 70th person in line. I "won" the 1,000 points but was the reps ran out of the redemption cards.

I was told I could come back later. I don't mind not winning a prize but was annoyed at the disconnect between the iPad telling me I won a concession prize and having them run out of concession prizes only 15-20 minutes into the day.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I upgraded my card via email over a week ago, and have not had confirmation of the upgrade. Anyone else having a long time before the upgrade from regular SWA credit card to the new one?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by geo979
Does anyone know if the $75 travel credit applies to the $5.60 TSA security fee when you book an award flight?
I was told any Southwest purchase would qualify. Since the tax should be coded as a Southwest Airlines puchase, I would assume it would qualify.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
I was told any Southwest purchase would qualify. Since the tax should be coded as a Southwest Airlines puchase, I would assume it would qualify.
Not any purchase; specifically no Upgraded Boarding or any in-flight purchases. But otherwise yes, taxes and fees do qualify.

Presumably (until we have actual data otherwise) anything else that shows as a "Southwest" charge will also qualify: EarlyBird Check-In, overweight/extra baggage fees, pet fees, Unaccompanied Minor fees, etc.

$75 Southwest Annual Travel Credit:

A statement credit will automatically be applied to your account when your Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Priority Card is used for purchases (excluding Upgraded Boardings and inflight purchases), up to an anniversary year maximum accumulation of $75.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: LTP, PP
FWIW, I have a yearly $200 travel credit from the AMEX PLT card and these $11.20 qualify AND are not taken back if the award ticket is cancelled.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List
I don't know if there is a glitch in the system or what, but I have been credited 20% on my inflight beverage purchases. Then, I was also credited the FULL AMOUNT for the same purchase. I also received two credits of $5.60 on the TSA security fees. I will reach the $75.00 max pretty soon.
The 5,000 points have been deposited into my account as well.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:37 pm

Attended promotion in Red Rocks (CO) today. About 20th in line and won a $50 gift card for a nice Italian restaurant in addition to 1000 points. I'd say every 5th person won a gift card. Easily 100 people behind me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.