Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Tour of 10 cities promotes new RR Priority CC; up to 65K bonus, $149 fee

Tour of 10 cities promotes new RR Priority CC; up to 65K bonus, $149 fee

Old Aug 9, 18, 7:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Tomorrow's event is noonish Oakland. The clues are trivial to decode. The location should be the same as for last Friday's credit card event, at the top of the 12th Street BART stairs. I expect to be there. Shoot me a PM and say hello.
Old Aug 10, 18, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
FWIW, I have a yearly $200 travel credit from the AMEX PLT card and these $11.20 qualify AND are not taken back if the award ticket is cancelled.
I hope this never becomes common knowledge. One post in the wrong place and WN/Amex will be INUNDATED. Then who knows what becomes of the reimbursement perk? Or of WNís generous cancellation policy?
Old Aug 10, 18, 12:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Booth will open at noon. There are at least 200 people in line. SWA employee claims that the line will move pretty fast after it opens. Soap bubble hearts about a foot across are emerged from the booth. I don’t know how the small soap bubbles maintain the heart shape as they float into the sky.

Update: After 25 minutes and about 120 people they are down to one prize. The total must have been 8 or 10. Non-winners get nada. The 200 people still in line will be disappointed.

Last edited by nsx; Aug 10, 18 at 1:24 pm
Old Aug 10, 18, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post

I hope this never becomes common knowledge. One post in the wrong place and WN/Amex will be INUNDATED. Then who knows what becomes of the reimbursement perk? Or of WN’s generous cancellation policy?
I wouldn't worry about it. I just booked a reward ticket with the $5.60 fee, and then I canceled it. Southwest already reimbursed my $5.60 fee. It would be WAY too much work to track that and take it back if the flight is canceled and the fee is refunded.

Point is you get $75 max refund per year, so regardless of if the flight is canceled and the fee refunded, you are not going to get more than $75 per year. I'm going to rebook, and with all of my spend on WN, I'm going to have thousands of dollars to have the $75 to apply to. These little cancelations etc aren't going to make a difference at all to WN or me, so not worth worrying about or tracking.
Old Aug 10, 18, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
interesting SWA priority card upgrade via email link

I upgraded via email invitation from my SWA premier card to the Priority card in late July. I entered my information on the upgrade website, and it said I would receive a confirmation in 3-4 business days. 2-3 weeks later I still have not received any email confirmation of the upgrade, and I couldn't tell when I log into my Chase account online if the card upgraded or not.

So I called Chase customer service and they confirmed my card was upgraded 4 days after I requested it, unbeknownst to me. I can see today that indeed I have the $75 credit that has been applied to various WN charges.

The agent said that even though my account was upgraded, my new card was not automatically ordered, so a manual request was put into order my new credit card. My old card will be valid for 90 days after the upgrade, to allow the overlap of the changeover.

So the online upgrade process appears to be somewhat glitchy, and we may not know if we are upgraded or not until we see the $75 credit being applied or calling in to ask. If I had not called, I would not have received the new card.
Old Aug 12, 18, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. I just booked a reward ticket with the $5.60 fee, and then I canceled it. Southwest already reimbursed my $5.60 fee. It would be WAY too much work to track that and take it back if the flight is canceled and the fee is refunded.

Point is you get $75 max refund per year, so regardless of if the flight is canceled and the fee refunded, you are not going to get more than $75 per year. I'm going to rebook, and with all of my spend on WN, I'm going to have thousands of dollars to have the $75 to apply to. These little cancelations etc aren't going to make a difference at all to WN or me, so not worth worrying about or tracking.
$75 on the WN card few people have is one thing.

$200 on every Amex Plat card out there is quite another.
Old Aug 13, 18, 1:59 pm

Q: If one cancels an existing personal Southwest card, how long do you need to wait until you can open a new Priority account and still get the sign-up bonus? (Assuming more than 2 years since last bonus.) I'm seeing different things posted online -- 30 days, 90 days... anyone have anything definitive? (FYI: I called Chase to ask, and was told "you can't get the bonus if you've ever had it," which we know is incorrect.)
Old Aug 13, 18, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post

I hope this never becomes common knowledge. One post in the wrong place and WN/Amex will be INUNDATED. Then who knows what becomes of the reimbursement perk? Or of WNís generous cancellation policy?
I kind of doubt either care very much. AMEX reimburses you for various fees up to the limit on that card. They often automatically reimburse fees which according to their T&C they are not required to, including ticket purchases. Since it's AMEX doing it Southwest isn't touched. That some people may get double reimbursed probably doesn't bother AMEX since they already incorporated the reimbursement into the annual fee. The actual fix is for AMEX to upgrade their algorithm to accurately reflect what their T&C say.

A few years ago I called to ask why a particular expense wasn't reimbursed. They told me I had already maxed out my annual credit. Turns out they had fully reimbursed me for some cheap tickets I'd purchased and I didn't catch it. They keep doing it every year, they seem to assume any purchase below a certain amount qualifies.
Old Aug 13, 18, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
Q: If one cancels an existing personal Southwest card, how long do you need to wait until you can open a new Priority account and still get the sign-up bonus? (Assuming more than 2 years since last bonus.) I'm seeing different things posted online -- 30 days, 90 days... anyone have anything definitive? (FYI: I called Chase to ask, and was told "you can't get the bonus if you've ever had it," which we know is incorrect.)
Had a personal card since 2012. Cancelled last month, am wanting the same answer.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 18, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
Originally Posted by wetsand View Post
Had a personal card since 2012. Cancelled last month, am wanting the same answer.
Anyone heard back?
Old Nov 13, 18, 4:45 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Does a gift card trigger the $75 credit?
Old Nov 13, 18, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik View Post
Does a gift card trigger the $75 credit?

I asked and the customer service rep said can buy points but not a gift card - havenít seen any reports of people trying on gift cards
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by colvin84 View Post

I asked and the customer service rep said can buy points but not a gift card - havenít seen any reports of people trying on gift cards
Worked for me.
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:34 pm

Is the credit calendar year or cardmember year?
Old Nov 29, 18, 2:23 am

Anniversary year. (see "*Terms & Conditions" at the bottom of the page)

Anniversary year means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement date after your account open date anniversary, and the 12 monthly billing cycles after that each year.

Search this Thread