Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Tour of 10 cities promotes new RR Priority CC; up to 65K bonus, $149 fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tour of 10 cities promotes new RR Priority CC; up to 65K bonus, $149 fee

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by roundtree
That restriction is due to Federal regulations. The card issuer is prohibited by law from changing the terms of your card less frequently than every 12 months. Hence, the waiting game...
I sure do not know, but this seems silly. If I cancelled my card in under 12 months, then the terms change. I understand the BANK can not change stuff, but as a consumer, I can change things, like cancel, etc.

We will have to wait and see. I am thinking lots of people getting error messages are just not targeted.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:38 am

There's no provision in the Credit Card Act of 2009 that specifically says a card issuer "can't change the terms more frequently than every 12 months." If Chase says that's the reason, they're misinterpreting the law to create a policy that benefits them. There is a provision that says, essentially, that the interest rate on an account can’t be raised in the first year after issuance. But that only applies to existing accounts, and only to the interest rate, which -- presumably (but maybe not definitely) -- would stay the same if one upgraded.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Charles4515
I got my card a year ago. My current statement has the $69 annual fee. Due mid August. So I guess my card can be upgraded? Should I wait anyway and cancel in a year and apply for this new card?
It certainly never hurts to ask, but I would think you would have to be closer to the date (maybe within a week?). Personally, I haven't tried before the anniversary date, though others may have experience to share.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I sure do not know, but this seems silly. If I cancelled my card in under 12 months, then the terms change. I understand the BANK can not change stuff, but as a consumer, I can change things, like cancel, etc.
Definitely couldn't agree more, but I'm certain this is the party line taken by all the banks to avoid any regulatory issues.

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
We will have to wait and see. I am thinking lots of people getting error messages are just not targeted.
I don't think the two are mutally exclusive. There's always the possibility that folks with cards older than a year aren't targeted either. The best bet is to call in, maybe even HUCA to see if there's a different answer. Worst that can happen is they say no.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:24 am

Anyone have a sense of how open they'll be to AF waivers on this new card? $149 pays for itself, but not as much as fees on Southwest's lower-end cards if you can get them waived -- just wondering how to factor that into the calculus here, or even if it's possible to do so...
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hbouta
Anyone have a sense of how open they'll be to AF waivers on this new card? $149 pays for itself, but not as much as fees on Southwest's lower-end cards if you can get them waived -- just wondering how to factor that into the calculus here, or even if it's possible to do so...
Since WN CCs came out, I have never heard of waived fees.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

Since WN CCs came out, I have never heard of waived fees.
They don't waive fees. They will sometimes give a statement credit to offset the cost.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
They don't waive fees. They will sometimes give a statement credit to offset the cost.
Right, that's what I meant. Do folks think they'll do that for this card in keeping with other cards, more, less, etc?....
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:46 pm

I am a holder of the RR Premier card. I received an e-mail offer "Earn 5000 bonus points when you upgrade to the new Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card and make a purchase by 9/30/18. It also mentions the other things I've seen discussed here (four upgraded boardings, $75 travel credit, $149 annual fee, etc).

However when I click on the Upgrade Now button I get a message "Thank you for visiting Chase. Our systems indicate that you are already logged into the Chase Product Trade website. Please close any other open sessions and try again." Not sure what they're talking about; I have no other sessions open.

Any suggestions?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:54 am

I just had my SW Plus card annual fee hit last month. I got them to "waive" it with a $70 statement credit . Yesterday I called to convert to the new Priority card. They gave me a partial refund of the Plus annual fee, about $50ish something back, plus the statement credit I got. I did not get the 5,000 points for converting as I was not targeted. They said I didn't meet the criteria. I didn't ask and they didn't say what said criteria was. But since I got the fee for Plus partially refunded, I don't mind.
I did have a question on the $75 annual flight credit. I'm not saying this is ethical or I would do so - but couldn't one just book a business class ticket, get the $75 credit posted the same time the charge hits, and then cancel/refund the business class ticket?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by phantom1584
I did have a question on the $75 annual flight credit. I'm not saying this is ethical or I would do so - but couldn't one just book a business class ticket, get the $75 credit posted the same time the charge hits, and then cancel/refund the business class ticket?

It's unclear until we have actual data, but I would expect Chase would reverse the credit when the BS ticket refund posts to the account.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:41 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by dansachs
"...Our systems indicate that you are already logged into the Chase Product Trade website. Please close any other open sessions and try again." Not sure what they're talking about; I have no other sessions open.

Any suggestions?
The usual: delete cache and cookies. Try a different browser or private mode. Also look for a log out button when you see that message.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by ftnoob
The usual: delete cache and cookies. Try a different browser or private mode. Also look for a log out button when you see that message.
Yeah, I should have come back and posted an update. This was on my desktop, and nothing I could do would make it go away. I went to my phone and successfully applied for the upgrade.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I went to the SW Priority Tour yesterday in Houston. It was hot as F out and I didn't win anything besides the 1,000 RR points for showing up. A friend who went a couple hours after me won a pair of Astros tickets.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:05 pm
FSF

Only read a handful of the posts but am wondering what is the point of the "tour" from our perspective. I get why LUV wants to do it but what is the incentive for anyone of us to go to one of their tour stops? Sorry if this was covered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.