FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Tour of 10 cities promotes new RR Priority CC; up to 65K bonus, $149 fee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1920732-tour-10-cities-promotes-new-rr-priority-cc-up-65k-bonus-149-fee.html)

mctrees02 Jul 19, 2018 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Shombolar (Post 29991472)
I got the invite to upgrade to this card this morning in my email (with the 5K points incentive).

I have the Premier card, but I'm not A-List, so I always add the extra $30 for Early Bird r/t. It usually gets me anywhere from A20-50.

Upgrading to the Priority could mean A1-15 position, but the way I read the benefit is that you won't know until you're at the airport and they know whether there are seats available in those positions, which could be stressful if you check in manually and still find yourself with a boarding position you don't like.

That's the big — and possibly only — downside to upgrading.

It's quite rare to see Business Select sold out (unless you're only flying on heavy business commuter flights). I run 30-40 segments per year and have never had an issue buying the upgrade. As I have A-list, I'll either use the upgrade perks to upgrade my children's tickets on family vacations or for the occasional long haul standby where I want to get inside A15 instead of boarding at A61 to improve my chances of an exit row.

Cledaybuck Jul 19, 2018 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by tjh8402 (Post 29991483)

yes, you won’t know until you get to the gate if the upgraded boarding is available. However, in my experience over the last few years, I’ve never had a flight where that I wasn’t available. That’s one of the reasons I am inclined to think the car may be worth it to me. I think I easily spend more than that annual fee on the upgraded boardings every year.

It's not going to be available a lot more after people get this card.

flyer4512 Jul 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Can the travel credit be used to pay 911 fees on tickets purchased with points ?

tjh8402 Jul 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 29991675)
It's not going to be available a lot more after people get this card.

it will just be first come first serve, which is the way it is now. As I read it, You still have to go up and pay for it at the gate. It’s not like you will get it at Booking or check-in. Whenever I fly Southwest, I already make sure I get there extra early just so I can have the best shot of buying up before someone else does.

screeton Jul 19, 2018 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 29991248)

Holders of business CCs are ok:

The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapids Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. This does not apply to Cardmembers of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Card and Employee Credit Card products.

Correct, and since posting my earlier comment, I've received an email offering 5,000 bonus points to upgrade my "Plus" credit card. That's not enough to make me go through the application process and the hassle of changing account numbers for all the "auto-pay" accounts, as well as the higher annual fee. The four upgrades (to A1-A15) a year would be nice, but most of the flights that I use do not have those available at the gate now, and the upgrades can only be purchased on day of departure at the ticket counter or gate.

rasheed Jul 19, 2018 1:41 pm

Anyone have a Chase portal URL that can be used to determine what sort of upgrade offer that is not individualized? Something similar to what Chase did for the new MR cards?

Rasheed

rasheed Jul 19, 2018 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by screeton (Post 29991875)
That's not enough to make me go through the application process and the hassle of changing account numbers for all the "auto-pay" accounts, as well as the higher annual fee.

Why do you think the account number would change? For Chase - usually, you could use the old card with the old expiration date for as long as you like under the upgraded terms.

worldwidedreamer Jul 19, 2018 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by tjh8402 (Post 29991468)
I just got the sign-up bonus on the RR card back in March, so it would be two years before I would be eligible to get a sign up bonus on this card. However, with my flying pattern, it seems like this would be a worthwhile upgrade to look into, am I correct?

As someone who picked up a WN card in November 2017 for the Cali CP, should I go for the new card or wait until the clock resets next year? I'm at about 60k CP points this year and 15k EQMs with 27 flights.

flyer4512 Jul 19, 2018 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 29992051)
As someone who picked up a WN card in November 2017 for the Cali CP, should I go for the new card or wait until the clock resets next year? I'm at about 60k CP points this year and 15k EQMs with 27 flights.

• The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapids Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. This does not apply to Cardmembers of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Card and Employee Credit Card products.

flyer4512 Jul 19, 2018 3:05 pm

5k point upgrade offer

isaac.chambers Jul 19, 2018 3:59 pm

I got the 5k upgrade offer...took it.

The upgraded boarding is good to use for your companion when they get a C BP.....less awkwardness saving a seat for so long...

Overall, its a better proposition that the Premier card for an A-List Preferred and CP holder.

ursine1 Jul 19, 2018 4:00 pm

Q: I know the bonus is subject to the 24-month rule, but when they say "current cardholders" how much time is necessary between closing an existing card and applying for the new one?

slickvik Jul 19, 2018 4:21 pm

New chase southwest card, 65k bonus $149 fee

Haven’t seen anything about it here but the link is live. 40k after 1k spend and 25k after 15k more. 5k targeted upgrade bonuses being offered also.

vike16 Jul 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Nice card, but not eligible now since I already have and closed the Southwest cards this year and have the CP through next year. I would think this card or a variant will still be around in 2020. This card combined with one of the others and the necessary spending would get you the CP.

However, don't miss the wording: Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months from account opening.†Same page link to Priority Offer details
Plus, earn 25,000 points after you spend a total of $15,000 within your first year from account opening.

In other words, you have to do a LOT of spending to get the extra points,

ftnoob Jul 19, 2018 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed (Post 29991945)
Anyone have a Chase portal URL that can be used to determine what sort of upgrade offer that is not individualized?

Doesn't seem possible, but you can go to https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/swa31 to enter your information then see your offer.