Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I book myself multiple refundable return flights for schedule flexibility?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Going from LAX>LAX for a same day trip. Ideally I'd just book the last flight back on the same day, but I absolutely need to be on-call to return earlier in case something comes up, which is around 50/50.

Can I book myself a ticket for several of the return flights now (I'll book the outbound flight separately), say for a 4pm return, a 6pm return, and an 8pm return, and just cancel the ones I don't end up using? I'd be paying with points, and I can float the points to purchase all tickets, but I'd rather not get sold out in case I need to return earlier, not to mention it would be really hectic.

I know this is a dick move for other customers, but since it's a very short and very frequent flight, plus it's just me, I'd assume it won't inconvenience others too much.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:12 pm

You're very likely to have some of those flights cancelled automatically. Just book the last flight of the day as a WGA fare and if you need to come back early either go standby or pay for the upgrade.
greasypig and NextTrip like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Please note that you can only go standby on a "wanna get away" fare free of extra charge if you are A list or A list preferred status. Otherwise you will have to pay the difference between your fare and the walk-up fare to get on an earlier flight.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:02 pm

No you can’t...all but one will be cancelled.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
No you can’t...all but one will be cancelled.
And you can only guess which one won't be cancelled!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by NextTrip
And you can only guess which one won't be cancelled!
Oh, it is easy to figure out which one will be cancelled. It will be the one he needs the most. LOL!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Yeah, in the old days you could do this. Not any more since a few months ago.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The sole risk is that the earlier flight is sold out. This won't cost OP anything more than his original proposal as he would have paid the full refundable fare for the earlier flight had he taken it anyway. Here, the worst he will have is to pay a fare difference.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines AP & CP; BA Gold
It is a violation of Southwest's Contract of Carriage.

Prohibition on Multiple/Conflicting Reservations. To promote seat availability for our Customers, Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same Passenger departing from the same city on the same date, or any multiple reservations containing conflicting or overlapping itineraries (such as departures for the same Customer from multiple cities at the same time). Furthermore, without advance notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations, or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel. With the exception of Southwest® gift cards, funds from proactively canceled reservations by Southwest will be returned to the original form of payment. Reservations paid for with a Southwest® gift card will have the amount applied from the Southwest® gift card held as travel funds for use by the Customer on a future Southwest Airlines flight.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by kaller
It is a violation of Southwest's Contract of Carriage.

Prohibition on Multiple/Conflicting Reservations. To promote seat availability for our Customers, Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same Passenger departing from the same city on the same date, or any multiple reservations containing conflicting or overlapping itineraries (such as departures for the same Customer from multiple cities at the same time). Furthermore, without advance notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations, or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel. With the exception of Southwest® gift cards, funds from proactively canceled reservations by Southwest will be returned to the original form of payment. Reservations paid for with a Southwest® gift card will have the amount applied from the Southwest® gift card held as travel funds for use by the Customer on a future Southwest Airlines flight.
Curious hypothetical...let's say OP needed to fly LAX-SMF-LAX for a morning meeting and a luncheon, but then had an evening meeting in SMF as well...so LAX-SMF-LAX-SMF-LAX. Two legitimate trips on the same city pair. How would that work?

Very unlikely, but possible on a high frequency route.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by jco613
Curious hypothetical...let's say OP needed to fly LAX-SMF-LAX for a morning meeting and a luncheon, but then had an evening meeting in SMF as well...so LAX-SMF-LAX-SMF-LAX. Two legitimate trips on the same city pair. How would that work?

Most likely the system would cancel one of the flights. But you could call and have it reinstated (possibly) by explaining the situation (and pointing out that they don't overlap).
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines AP & CP; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ursine1
Most likely the system would cancel one of the flights. But you could call and have it reinstated (possibly) by explaining the situation (and pointing out that they don't overlap).
That would be my guess as well. There was a time, maybe 2 years ago, they were very aggressive in cancelling flights they (human or algorithm?) didn't think you could make.

Example: I faced reservation cancellations with AUS-SAN departing ~8:30PM on a Thursday, with an AUS-SAN back-up ticket for Friday morning.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Knowing that one's tickets are at risk because the practice may run afoul of the COC, one would call WN in advance of them being cancelled so that proper PNR notes are added. Hoping that cancelled tickets will be reinstated and hoping that there is availability in the fare bucket after cancellation seems a lot of extra work for no reason.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Knowing that one's tickets are at risk because the practice may run afoul of the COC, one would call WN in advance of them being cancelled so that proper PNR notes are added. Hoping that cancelled tickets will be reinstated and hoping that there is availability in the fare bucket after cancellation seems a lot of extra work for no reason.
All the notes in the world aren't going to keep you from having to call back again when the system automatically cancels the flight, meaning that calling ahead actually creates more work.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold

I definitely agree with WN in this case. I would have canceled one of those two reservations, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.