Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

6+ hour delay due to "Operational challenges" leading to long WX delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6+ hour delay due to "Operational challenges" leading to long WX delay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:58 am

This was in April. It’s now mid-July. Stuff happens when you travel...move on.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The reason for the delay is irrelevant and wasting time trying to figure out what percentage of the delay is attributable to what reason, is an exercise in futility.

There is no compensation for delays in the US. Carriers are free to offer customer service gestures on a voluntary basis. The only exception is, on a carrier-by-carrier basis, who picks up the hotel room if there is an overnight delay. That did not occur here so does not matter.

Travel insurance takes care of the rest, if one chooses to purchase it. OP's policy starts at 12 hours. There are policies which start as low as 3 hours. They cost more. It is a choice.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
WN has offered compensation as a goodwill gesture for some extensive wx related delays/operational issues. Long story short, had a PIT-MDW flight last year that was initially delayed due to wx approaching MDW/once en route diverted to SDF and delayed there/then en route again diverted a second time to MKE and delayed there before finally making into MDW early the next morning and about 10 hours late in total. This was due to non-stop recurring lines of thunderstorms that just hammered MDW that day. Flew in circles for hours holding on those flights until we got to fuel minimums and were forced to divert not once but twice. About a week later, I received an unsolicited apology letter from WN via email with a $200 luv voucher for the troubles and enduring the very long afternoon/night/early morning (but no refund of fare paid). Seemed proactive and fair to me and saw no reason to complain or push it further. I would like to think they realized it probably would have been best for both them and us to have just cancelled the flight in PIT after the initial delay.

In the OP's case, they were refunded the fare they paid as a goodwill gesture. Consider that a win based on the fact that they didn't have to do anything.

Last edited by chuckworth; Jul 17, 2018 at 11:37 am
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, American, Delta, United
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I think part of the issue is that you waited 3 months. The one time I received a voucher from Southwest, I got an unprompted e-mail the next day apologizing and saying a voucher was on the way and the voucher came the day after that. I don't know that you are going to have much luck and I wouldn't pursue it to the ends of the earth, but it can't hurt to try. The worst they can say is no.
Thanks for your response-I think if it was our plane w/mechanical they may have sent a voucher but because it was the plane ahead of us, which kept our plane from getting to the gate & maybe SW had no other gates available we got an "operational" 2 hour delay which turned into over 6 due to the weather. I know it happens and when its just weather, you can't expect assistance. This was just unusual and unfortunate.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: none
I know it feels must be very annoying
mland0821 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
I wonder if you did not have luggage checked you could of made the 945 pm train?

Last edited by john398; Jul 19, 2018 at 9:07 am Reason: typos
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole

People like you are the reason why legit complaints get denied.
Comments like yours are why I rarely read or post here anymore. This use to be a civil forum.
mland0821 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chuckworth
WN has offered compensation as a goodwill gesture for some extensive wx related delays/operational issues. Long story short, had a PIT-MDW flight last year that was initially delayed due to wx approaching MDW/once en route diverted to SDF and delayed there/then en route again diverted a second time to MKE and delayed there before finally making into MDW early the next morning and about 10 hours late in total. This was due to non-stop recurring lines of thunderstorms that just hammered MDW that day. Flew in circles for hours holding on those flights until we got to fuel minimums and were forced to divert not once but twice. About a week later, I received an unsolicited apology letter from WN via email with a $200 luv voucher for the troubles and enduring the very long afternoon/night/early morning (but no refund of fare paid). Seemed proactive and fair to me and saw no reason to complain or push it further. I would like to think they realized it probably would have been best for both them and us to have just cancelled the flight in PIT after the initial delay.

In the OP's case, they were refunded the fare they paid as a goodwill gesture. Consider that a win based on the fact that they didn't have to do anything.
Thank you for sharing your WN experience with a weather delayed flight and their response with a $200 LUV voucher. I would have preferred an unsolicited voucher versus refund of the fare, even if it were only for $100/person, considering the initial delay was mechanical. Hindsight is 20/20 and canceling the flight and allowing a change to travel plans would have been better.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by john398
I wonder if you did not hve luggage checked yuou could of made the 945 pm train?
Doubtful-I waited a long time for the train shuttle. I was able to convince the other woman waiting that we needed to call an uber but it was a madhouse, worse than the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I do regret checking my bag because I could have jumped on another flight.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pandes
I know it feels must be very annoying
Thanks-I was simply wanting to get information on how WN CS typically handles things like this. Their model is good w/free checked bags and flexibility to change flights without fees, however they are not always the lowest fares nor best routes for us. Might be better to focus on status & have a CC with an airline for free bags, reduced mileage awards, etc with better routes for us. Also just learned that authorized users get the free checked bag perk, enabling all of my kids the benefit of an airline CCard with 1 annual fee.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:52 pm

What's the big deal? You got the peanuts; that wouldn't happen today.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:28 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by mland0821
I emailed CS after the flight and they refunded my unbelievably cheap fare, acknowledging:
"we regret that Flight #5654 was diverted to Orlando due to inclement weather, especially after it was initially delayed due to operational challenges."
I just tried twitter and they are sticking w/the $27 refund. I have travel credits due to expire and I requested they extend them without deducting the $100, instead as a goodwill gesture, but they denied it..
I'm going to disagree with most posters here. I would have expected Southwest to give you a $100 LUV voucher for the initial delay. Maybe my A-list preferred status has inflated my outcomes and expectations?

The avenues for compensation are, in order of probability of success:
1. Snail letter to Customer Relations. People that read those have real authority to help.
2. Facebook or Twitter.
3. Email
4. Telephone call to Customer Relations (might jump to number 2 on the list if you are very personable and experienced or if you have elite status).

Next time start with option 1. This time I think you are stuck since you have already appealed to Twitter. Invest the time in writing a letter only if it makes you feel better, which is sometimes reason enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.