Son: Worst Flight Ever!

Old Jul 12, 18, 6:10 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Lol, when I was 24, I was a lieutenant in the Army, and getting shot at while flying missions in Iraq . Some of those flights probably qualified as "worst flight ever," but I guess it's all relative....
Cris L, dls25, tusphotog and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 18, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by dls25 View Post
Lol. Are u trolling us? All this drama over a 24 yo MAN...
A 24 year old MAN that must not fly much!
Old Jul 12, 18, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by familyoutdoors View Post
Thank you all for your replies. As I said it was "sons" worst flight yet. As he is only now just 24 I am sure he will have many more that are even worse than the last. Sorry to be so "mellow dramatic", but I was caught in the moment. And yes, as someone else mentioned, if I quit an airline for a bad flight, I will run out of airlines, and btw, will not do greyhound.
"Mellow dramatic". Would that be someone who says "Dude, this is the worst flight ever Mr Hand"?
Old Jul 12, 18, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Other than the fact they should've been giving out water when 1 hour had passed, there was nothing WN could've done about anything else.
Old Jul 12, 18, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
Worst flight ever would be one that crashes into a fireball. Second worst flight ever would be one that lands on a levee in Louisiana or the Hudson River.

Then there are horrid flights (3rd on down)... diverted to a remote airport, diverted to an airport in a country where you have no entry visa, lavs overflowing, sexual assault in flight, etc.

A tarmac delay and screaming kids is simply a bad flight. This happens on EVERY airline.

The FAs should always give people water during a tarmac delay. Other than that, there is nothing else Southwest could have done.
Well said!
Old Jul 13, 18, 6:29 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by Statman View Post
You are son is a grown up adult. You need to stop being a helicopter parent and tell him to toughen up instead.
Hopefully there was a trophy waiting for him at his destination for managing the big, bad plane ride all by himself!
Statman, DesertNomad and Webogirl like this.
Old Jul 13, 18, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
As I said it was "sons" worst flight yet. As he is only now just 24 I am sure he will have many more...
I had the impression from your OP that your son was a child or unaccompanied minor.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 18, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This sounds like the worst flight of all time, including all fixed-wing aircraft, helicopters, balloons, hang gliders, dirigibles, and automobiles that inadvertently became airborne. As compensation, the OP should be entitled to all of the remaining peanuts Southwest has in stock on August 1st.
InkUnderNails likes this.
Old Jul 14, 18, 12:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
This sounds like the worst flight of all time, including all fixed-wing aircraft, helicopters, balloons, hang gliders, dirigibles, and automobiles that inadvertently became airborne. As compensation, the OP should be entitled to all of the remaining peanuts Southwest has in stock on August 1st.
Noooo! I wanted those!
Old Jul 14, 18, 2:16 pm

It is his *worse flight* ever . up to now . some will play well and share their worse flight ever too . other folks may choose to be a wet blanket

Last edited by swm 1; Jul 14, 18 at 2:21 pm
Old Jul 14, 18, 3:54 pm

OP, watch your e-mail for a LUV voucher. I had a long tarmac delay flying out of HOU back in January. It was one of those rare occasions where we had to de-ice. I think we were on the ground for over two hours waiting to de-ice. The next moring SW sent me a $125 LUV voucher for my trouble. I wasn't expecting anything since it was a weather related delay.
Old Jul 14, 18, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Worst Flight Ever = Don't ever fly with WN again.

Message received. Move on.
Old Jul 16, 18, 9:26 am

Going back to the last line in the OP's opening statement:

I think the worst flight ever should get more than "sorry". We are just leisure flyers, but that's just my .02 cents. What do you pros think. Should we write to someone, or Tweet or? Chime in.
Thanks!
Flight 1367 Wed July 11, 2018Scheduled to depart 1:45 PM actually Departed 3:21Scheduled arrival 4:20 PM actual arrival 6:01 PM
Now that we know he's 24 years old, "WE" should not be doing anything. That is on him. YOU shouldn't be doing a darn thing. If he wants to tweet or complain to Southwest, he can do it. Don't sit there and type it for him. Don't tell him what to write. Let HIM do it.

I'm sure there were 150 or so other people on the plane. They all survived this 'worst flight ever'. So did your son. It wasn't even worth 1 thread here, much less 2.
wrp96 and Webogirl like this.
Old Jul 16, 18, 1:44 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
While these sort of things cannot be prevented, here are some tricks anyone can do in preparation for every flight, "just in case". I've been flying relatively regularly for 30+ years, and I assume every flight I get on is going to have an "issue".

1. I don't drink liquids within an hour of boarding a flight and make *several* trips to the mens room before boarding. No caffeine or alcohol (both diuretics).
2. Aisle seat is a must or I look for another flight, and I prefer to sit towards the rear of the aircraft in close proximity to the lavatory. At 50+ years old I refuse to apologize for my bladder anymore. My nightmare flight happened only once: we were stuck on an active taxiway for almost two hours and by the time we finally reached altitude I was in horrible physical pain.
3. Noise canceling headphones and some pleasant music on your phone or pad will drown out crying babies and loud, chatty people across the aisle or behind you.
4. Carry on (in your hands) something to occupy yourself rather than focus on the delay. Airplane travel is by its nature incredibly boring and if you put an engrossing puzzle on your pad or phone it can get your mind off the troubles.
5. Realize that the crew is just as anxious to get off the ground and to the destination as you are.
Old Jul 16, 18, 5:31 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
I try to carry a large mouth plastic bottle with my carry on stuff for just this reason.

My nightmare flight happened only once: we were stuck on an active taxiway for almost two hours and by the time we finally reached altitude I was in horrible physical pain.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: