Son: Worst Flight Ever!

Old Jul 12, 18, 7:59 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Will say, for all the complaining about BA (including my own), I was recently stuck on the tarmac at LHR for just under 3 hours and the FAs were literally begging us to drink water that they passed out. It was a fairly warm day, but not particularly hot in the cabin because the pilot left an engine running for AC. I would not have wanted to unload and than reload a 747, and they did a reasonably good job of keeping us apprised. Probably in part because at least half the passengers aboard could see the fuel pouring out of the wing tank onto the tarmac. Overall they did a pretty good job, short of passing out legroom, which is what we really needed for a three hours delayed transatlantic flight.
Old Jul 12, 18, 8:42 am

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Fuel was pouring out of the wing and they had an engine on????
Old Jul 12, 18, 10:17 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
Fuel was pouring out of the wing and they had an engine on????
As long as nobody is lighting a cigarette nearby, nothing will happen... Or as long as sparks don't touch the fuel.
Old Jul 12, 18, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. As I said it was "sons" worst flight yet. As he is only now just 24 I am sure he will have many more that are even worse than the last. Sorry to be so "mellow dramatic", but I was caught in the moment. And yes, as someone else mentioned, if I quit an airline for a bad flight, I will run out of airlines, and btw, will not do greyhound.
spikegall and bitterproffit like this.
Old Jul 12, 18, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by familyoutdoors View Post
Thank you all for your replies. As I said it was "sons" worst flight yet. As he is only now just 24 I am sure he will have many more that are even worse than the last. Sorry to be so "mellow dramatic", but I was caught in the moment. And yes, as someone else mentioned, if I quit an airline for a bad flight, I will run out of airlines, and btw, will not do greyhound.
You are son is a grown up adult. You need to stop being a helicopter parent and tell him to toughen up instead.
Mwenenzi, joshua362, dls25 and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 18, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL,EK
When I was 17, I spent more than 24 hours on a 747 on the ramp in Seoul while they changed an engine... and then we flew 12 hours to San Francisco. I hardly think a 2-hour delay is worth mentioning. I'm sorry his life is so terrible.
Old Jul 12, 18, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Lol. Are u trolling us? All this drama over a 24 yo MAN...
steved5480 and Webogirl like this.
Old Jul 12, 18, 12:38 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1 View Post
Not a totally unrelated observation: You know how people here love to complain about boarding number issues with Southwest? Imagine the chaos and complaints if they have to offload and not everyone (or anyone at all) gets their original numbers back to re-load.
I do suspect that this wouldn't be so bad now with digital boarding passes and the new policy of GAs handing you back your paper boarding pass. (But agreed that in most cases sitting on the plane will get you out sooner than going back to the gate).

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but unexpected events like this are why I always make sure I have some water and a granola bar or something similar in my bag. (It's been helpful on flights where drink/snack service has been cancelled due to turbulence). If the OP's son hasn't been doing anything like that before, maybe it'd be a good takeaway from this experience.
Old Jul 12, 18, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
The only thing I purchase at airports is a large bottle of water. Waiting for the FAs to serve water under the best of circumstances is a process I do not want to rely on. With that said, i'm always leery of FT posts that are second hand accounts. Most stories here are weighted to one side to begin with. The next generation versions always seem cartoonish.
Old Jul 12, 18, 1:06 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus
As I said it was "sons" worst flight yet.
Well...actually... you said:

I think the worst flight ever should get more than "sorry".
Which isn't exactly the same thing.

I do sympathize. I have been stuck on the tarmac at really hot airports. I flew through Vegas a couple of weeks ago, and happened to have a full ground stop (after we boarded) because of Air Force One. We didn't sit there for 2 hours, (I think it was just about an hour) but I sure wish the FAs had come around with water. Having said that, I didn't press my call button or get up and ask, either.

Did your son ask for water? What was the response?
Old Jul 12, 18, 1:55 pm

OMG.....when I saw the word "son" I thought we were dealing with an unaccompanied minor or something. This is not a child, this is a grown man who should have been able to suck the situation up without complaining about it to his mommy. It's time to push him out of the nest and start letting him experience some real life difficulties that frankly he probably should have started experiencing a decade ago.
Mwenenzi, Statman and Webogirl like this.

Last edited by Voldoo; Jul 12, 18 at 2:55 pm
Old Jul 12, 18, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Great stuff but not “worst flight ever” material. I am inclined to say don’t fly from/to Phoenix in the summer then you avoid these issues. If it cannot be avoided then prepare for the “worst” and bring your own water and noise cancelling headphones.
Old Jul 12, 18, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is now the 100th active thread on FT about "the worst." In none of them did anybody die, suffer an injury or, in fact, anything beyond the usual vagaries of travel.

This one may nonetheless take the cake. A 1:40 delay on an aircraft skilfully handled by a crew on a day with some really lousy weather into and out of PHX.
Old Jul 12, 18, 3:03 pm

oh wow.. when i read son i expected him to be like 10 or something. He's 24 years old... i've always wondering why people act so different when it comes to flying, they go from normal functioning adults to complete babies! i mean, ya, what happens sucks. but at the end of the day he sat in a hot airplane for 2 hours and then got home.. whats all the drama about? i've waited in line at disney in the sweltering heat for that long before! perspective is key here.. just relax and consider your son lucky if this is the worst flight ever and stop teaching him to be a baby
Old Jul 12, 18, 4:20 pm

We were able to deplane last FRI at ATL due to weather delays in Philly. Pretty orderly, a GA had a passenger list, checked us off as we left the plane, checked us off again (and checked ID) when we went back on the plane. People left their stuff on their seat, there were no issues of anyone trying to take a different seat.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: