PHX flight canceled

Old Jul 10, 18, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

PHX flight canceled

My son got an email today that his SW flight from PHX is canceled today. They are offering to change to another flight free from/to same airports if he flies by 7/24. His only saving grace is that he is staying with his brother, but still an inconvenience. No explanation of why flight was canceled. Any ideas? He is now re-booked for tomorrow. Hopefully that flight will happen.
Old Jul 10, 18, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, MH Enrich Platinum
PHX had some dust storms- maybe inbound flight diverted/cancelled. Flights are leaving from PHX- see alternatives and ask SWA.
Old Jul 10, 18, 7:15 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
WN has canceled even more flights tonight as PHX is about to get hit by round two of the thunderstorms. 1715 MST.
Old Jul 10, 18, 9:36 pm

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Has the heat wave impacted operations at all? I know Phoenix is built for high temps, but still it seems there have been near-record highs, which could have impacted takeoff performance.
Old Jul 10, 18, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BerenErchamion View Post
Has the heat wave impacted operations at all? I know Phoenix is built for high temps, but still it seems there have been near-record highs, which could have impacted takeoff performance.
Hasn't been too hot. It's the storms that are more of an impact.
Old Jul 11, 18, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zebranz View Post
PHX had some dust storms- maybe inbound flight diverted/cancelled. Flights are leaving from PHX- see alternatives and ask SWA.
from my Direct Message to SW on Twitter, "weather". I did google the weather and zoomed about a bit. Looks like gale force winds on the west coast and something that was pink near SLC and T-storms in PHX. I thought weather was a big player in the winter... Hopefully son will be able to come home tomorrow.
Old Jul 11, 18, 10:24 am

With the advent of retirement of the B733 and B735 fleets, the remainder of the fleets (B737 and B738, and B738 Maxs) all have have higher thrust engines than of the retired fleets), and it has increased the percentage of flights that have max takeoff weights that are limited by max landing weight, versus flights that are genuinely limited by the takeoff itself.

The reason for your flight's cancellation was almost certainly related to the previous night's storms and blowing dust and ATC issues preventing a terminating aircraft from doing so in PHX as planned.
tusphotog likes this.
Old Jul 12, 18, 7:34 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Heat wave? It’s been “cool” here this summer. No high in June was over 111F. No high in July (yet) over 115F.
Old Jul 12, 18, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by zebranz View Post
That's correct. Because of the weather. They do have monsoons storm for every Summer. Yes, you can ask WN on Facebook page.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: