Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Will Stop Serving Peanuts August 1st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Will Stop Serving Peanuts August 1st

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BerenErchamion
Funny, people said the same thing about the Civil Rights Act.

I'm fine with a slippery slope towards greater inclusion, liberty, and opportunity for everyone. Which is what this is.
Would that include those with pet allergies vs. those with emotional support animals? Whose "inclusiveness" counts more?
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Southwest discontinuing peanuts may just be the kick in the behind I need to start carrying small bags of nuts with me as a regular thing. ...And better nuts than peanuts-- I'm thinking almonds or cashews.
It's peanuts that make the cashews taste good.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Peanuts are in the "whatever" category for me, but they better not mess with that other great WN tradition: WT 101.

I was on one of those late announcement no peanut flights recently and the FA grabbed my bag out of my hand as I was opening it.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:27 am

While disappointing and sad, this will not stop me from flying WN. The peanuts were great but not necessary. I still love the hospitality, free bags, and low-ish fares. I’ll survive without peanuts. And, this will curtail my traditional after every flight peanuts urge buying at the supermarket!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Definitely the winner here.

I'd wager several incidents occurred where a Mom got hysterical as peanuts were being passed out when the FAs inadvertently failed to get the "no peanut flight" message.

Some in-house lawyer probably made the final call fearing "well, if we give them the option to request a peanut free flight and we don't deliver on it, we're liable." Absurd.
after August, can we request a peanut filled flight?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: WN- AL+ Marriott-Plat
awesome!

i am glad they are getting rid of peanuts. as elsewhere stated about 20 percent of flights have claims of peanut allergies anyways. i hope this eliminates the "disability boarding" the peanut haters were taking advantage of. i am usually BS and i see the families going on in preboard and when an entire family with young kids preboards it is always a peanut free flight. without peanuts on the plane that is 4+ people every flight who cant preboard, or will need to find a new disability to exploit.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by a91996
i am glad they are getting rid of peanuts. as elsewhere stated about 20 percent of flights have claims of peanut allergies anyways. i hope this eliminates the "disability boarding" the peanut haters were taking advantage of.
Cockeyed optimist.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
Would that include those with pet allergies vs. those with emotional support animals? Whose "inclusiveness" counts more?
I know what side I'd come down on: put the pets in the cargo hold. I realize you could still have a pet allergy and a legitimate, trained service animal on the same flight, but that particular allergy is not life-threatening and can usually be resolved by putting a little bit of space between the allergic person and the dog.

Without igniting the whole "ESA" debate, I realize that to do this they'd need to modify federal laws to enable airlines to fully eliminate bogus ESAs while fully protecting trained service animals. As the law is written right now, it's easy to get a doctor's note to take pets onboard and airlines can't really stop it.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:06 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by smmrfld
isn't an attempt at...cost-cutting;...no-peanut flights/requests have become increasingly common and it's easier to just get rid of them than continue to deal with the issue on a flight-by-flight basis.
There's an internal contradiction in her explanation. In this case, as generally, Easier = Less Costly, so it is indeed about cost cutting.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ftnoob
There's an internal contradiction in her explanation. In this case, as generally, Easier = Less Costly, so it is indeed about cost cutting.
Do you have data that indicates the peanut snack replacement is materially less expensive?

Last edited by smmrfld; Jul 20, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:31 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
No hard data that they're saving money without peanuts (or will with the peanut snack replacement), but if we're on the topic of "materially less," I decided to count the pretzels in my bag today, and there were only 8 of the little guys.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I guess they have to bow to the masses - or should I say the few that have these issues. And yes, I do feel for them.

Sadly, this was the only healthy option. Everything else is processed crap which is killing us slowly. Unlike a peanut response, we do not know it is happening until the Doctor gives us the big "C" discussion. Or obesity, etc.

it is a growing problem and not just a "few".

https://acaai.org/news/new-study-sug...t-allergy-2010
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
People with peanut allergies could simply not eat the peanuts. But no, we have to be drama queens and pretend that if no one else eats peanuts, everything will be fine.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ryw
No hard data that they're saving money without peanuts (or will with the peanut snack replacement), but if we're on the topic of "materially less," I decided to count the pretzels in my bag today, and there were only 8 of the little guys.
That's good though. Because from reading this thread, Southwest pretzels cause cancer. You have to eat Southwest peanuts to remain cancer-free.

So fewer pretzels will mean less cancer.
steved5480 and ryw like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.