one way or round trip

Old Jul 2, 18, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

one way or round trip

I see a very good one way rate CLE to PHX. The calendar does not go far enough for our return trip. Should I book the one way now or wait until I see the return date so I can book round trip? Any advice is appreciated.
Old Jul 2, 18, 4:50 pm

Never book a round trip on Southwest. There is no price advantage. Booking two one-way trips allows you to re-book one leg if the fare goes down.
Old Jul 2, 18, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the reply!
Old Jul 2, 18, 5:08 pm

Here are the many reasons to book one-ways versus round-trips:

Reasons to book all Southwest travel as one-way rather than round-trip
Old Jul 2, 18, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dlaue View Post
Never book a round trip on Southwest. There is no price advantage. Booking two one-way trips allows you to re-book one leg if the fare goes down.
I would not say never. Id say 98% of the time book one-ways.

Perhaps on that linked thread just above, or maybe elsewhere here, there are listed some legit reasons to book a RT.

Just not many.
Old Jul 2, 18, 11:12 pm

Also, it's no longer a problem rebooking for a fare adjustment a single leg of a round-trip.

(Still a good idea to book one-ways almost always.)
Old Jul 5, 18, 12:17 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
ABOW.

(Always book one way.)

There are rare exceptions but with over 100 flights a year for several years, I never found one.
Old Jul 5, 18, 12:27 pm

There have been occasional promos that required a round-trip booking, but I don't know that it was part of anything recent.
Old Jul 5, 18, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Only thing about two one-ways is the possibility of trip-in-vain not refunding the return?

Idk tho
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 18, 7:17 am

The only time I found an advantage to booking round-trip was to Punta Cana. For some reason, there was an extra $20 (or so) tax or charge included in a one-way return (which may indicate someone moving from the country or staying there long-term) vs. just going on a vacation.

Other than that, more relatable to the OP's question, I've often booked just the outbound or inbound flight, and waited before booking the other flight.
Old Jul 6, 18, 7:28 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole View Post
The only time I found an advantage to booking round-trip was to Punta Cana. For some reason, there was an extra $20 (or so) tax or charge included in a one-way return (which may indicate someone moving from the country or staying there long-term) vs. just going on a vacation.

Other than that, more relatable to the OP's question, I've often booked just the outbound or inbound flight, and waited before booking the other flight.
A segment run (return within less than 4 hours) is cheaper when booked as a round trip.
synergistic likes this.
Old Jul 6, 18, 8:30 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by jacobguo View Post
Only thing about two one-ways is the possibility of trip-in-vain not refunding the return?

Idk tho
Except Southwest has such a great return policy anyways as long as you fly again within a year.
Old Jul 6, 18, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
Except Southwest has such a great return policy anyways as long as you fly again within a year.

Yes, but: travel funds, not a refund. (Limited to original passenger(s), travel must be completed within one year of purchase, not cancellation. When applied to now booking, all funds including new monies, take on oldest expiration.)
Old Jul 7, 18, 12:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
Oh right forgot which forum I was in
Old Jul 9, 18, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
Yes, but: travel funds, not a refund. (Limited to original passenger(s), travel must be completed within one year of purchase, not cancellation. When applied to now booking, all funds including new monies, take on oldest expiration.)
Still 100% better than the other airlines, which is: Nothing. Unless you pay a significant fee.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: