FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   I'm a back door man (at Oakland) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1915061-im-back-door-man-oakland.html)

nsx Jun 18, 2018 10:51 am

I'm a back door man (at Oakland)

Oakland is now experimenting with optional rear door boarding. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try it today at Gate 20. You walk outside and down the stairs just behind the ops agent. Plastic rope lines direct you around the port side of the aircraft to the rear stairway. However if you are not early in the boarding process you won't be able to make it upstream to the exit rows: Some of the front boarders prefer to walk to the back.

It's nice to step outside and get some fresh air, even if it's not as warm and sunny as at San Jose del Cabo.

TSparky Jun 18, 2018 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 29878966)
It's nice to step outside and get some fresh air, even if it's not as warm and sunny as at San Jose del Cabo.

Or BUR, for that matter. :)

PAX62 Jun 18, 2018 2:52 pm

I am huge fan of rear door deplaneing...not so much for boarding.

ursine1 Jun 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by PAX62 (Post 29879972)
I am huge fan of rear door deplaneing...not so much for boarding.

Yes, me too. All it takes is one annoying person in front of you to cost you an exit row seat to someone who would have been significantly behind you, but boarded from the other door.

jhalapin Jun 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 29880044)
Yes, me too. All it takes is one annoying person in front of you to cost you an exit row seat to someone who would have been significantly behind you, but boarded from the other door.

Yeah, I have done that multiple times at SMF.

Depending on the number of pre-boards I almost run to the rear door and beat the BS guys to the exit rows.

If I had purchased BS and was A-1 and someone from the 16 to 15 group got the exit row I's be pretty disappointed,

I agree, deplaning thru the rear door is fine. Boarding thru the rear door speeds things up at the cost of your premium fare passengers getting pissed.

skunker Jun 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by jhalapin (Post 29880897)
premium passengers

Southwest
Pick one.
:p

joshua362 Jun 19, 2018 3:01 pm

This cannot be good news for "premium" passengers!

kennycrudup Jun 19, 2018 3:24 pm

Wait- is it the "good" kind of rear-door boarding like BUR where you traverse the ramp to a single set of stairs, or the "bad" kind of rear-door boarding like what they've tried (and thankfully apparently abandoned) at SJC where you take a set of stairs down a ramp, then walk up three flights of narrow steps just to end up in the jetway?

milesmutt Jun 19, 2018 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 29883996)
Wait- is it the "good" kind of rear-door boarding like BUR where you traverse the ramp to a single set of stairs, or the "bad" kind of rear-door boarding like what they've tried (and thankfully apparently abandoned) at SJC where you take a set of stairs down a ramp, then walk up three flights of narrow steps just to end up in the jetway?

Still doing dual-boarding and deplaning at SJC, unfortunately. Only a select few during the day thankfully.

kennycrudup Jun 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Huh. ~25 trips ex-SJC so far this year, I guess I've been lucky. But you've seen rear-door boarding at SJC, too? Can you remember the destination city and time of day?

milesmutt Jun 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 29884130)
Huh. ~25 trips ex-SJC so far this year, I guess I've been lucky. But you've seen rear-door boarding at SJC, too? Can you remember the destination city and time of day?

Guess you have been lucky!

Various flights (usually around 4 to 5 flights/day). I'm at SJC now for my semi-retirement gig (no longer traveling for work!) so I have first-hand knowledge. ; )

kennycrudup Jun 19, 2018 5:16 pm

(BTW, if you (or anyone else) are in SJC T-1 that much and have PreCheck, I can't recommend CLEAR highly enough, and it's $99/yr (+$50 for household members) if you sign up via a (free) Delta SkyMiles account. Memorial Day Tuesday the non-qualified lines were down to the first floor, and even PC was snaked out to the top of the stairs. Me? 5 mins from Uber to gate, and even now that TSA is trying to cripple CLEAR by requiring the TDC to be shown your BP, the CLEAR agents will take your phone/BP to them for you while you stay in the PreCheck line you just cut into.)

xlckx Jun 20, 2018 4:35 pm

ONT to SJC early Jun, deplaned from the rear!

jhalapin Jun 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by skunker (Post 29883875)
Pick one.
:p

Fixed it :)

kennycrudup Jun 26, 2018 10:38 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 29884335)
(BTW, if you (or anyone else) are in SJC T-1 that much and have PreCheck, I can't recommend CLEAR highly enough

FWIW:

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 29908614)
New 3-month trial promo code: HAPPY4TH Valid through 7/8/2018