Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will a VERY large purchase still get points through the portal?

Old Jun 7, 18, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

I'm making a $40k purchase at a partner that earns 2 points per dollar on the SW shopping portal, will they actually honor it or is there some restriction that makes it a no-go?
Critterlynn likes this.
Old Jun 7, 18, 5:43 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Reckon we're about to find out, please come back and let us know....
lougord99 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 18, 6:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
I have earned >10k points for a single purchase in past years, so it should work. I would expect it to fail automatic processing but to be granted after you email them.
Old Jun 7, 18, 10:02 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
It says on their FAQ's page that there's no limit to the amount of points you can earn. Having said that, I'd still read over the T&C's for that particular merchant to make sure what you're buying isn't excluded from earning points. Also, make sure to clear you history and cookies before logging in, and take screenshots. I've been having trouble getting purchases to track lately. Only about 70% of my purchases have tracked.
Old Jun 8, 18, 8:02 am
Original Poster

The answer is no unfortunately. You are all correct though. Unfortunately the terms for this vendor are very clear:
Not eligible on Purchase Plans including, but not limited to Employee Purchase, Shareholder, Member Purchase, Friends & Family, Contractor Purchase, Corporate Purchase, Lenovo VISA Cardholder Program, or Student & Alumni, and purchases made through Office Depot. Not eligible on Bill Me Later sales. Lenovo Outlet Items are not eligible. Lenovo.com has a Limit of 5 items per customer on any order. Effective May 1, 2016, Lenovo will not be paying out on orders that have more than 5 items per order. Not eligible on Moto branded phones, Motorola products, gift wrapping, and orders placed for reselling purposes. Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents.

So since I've got 22 items in my cart it's a no-go. I probably could have tried splitting it into 6 orders but no.
Old Jun 8, 18, 8:42 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Lancerguy View Post
The answer is no unfortunately. You are all correct though. Unfortunately the terms for this vendor are very clear:
Not eligible on Purchase Plans including, but not limited to Employee Purchase, Shareholder, Member Purchase, Friends & Family, Contractor Purchase, Corporate Purchase, Lenovo VISA Cardholder Program, or Student & Alumni, and purchases made through Office Depot. Not eligible on Bill Me Later sales. Lenovo Outlet Items are not eligible. Lenovo.com has a Limit of 5 items per customer on any order. Effective May 1, 2016, Lenovo will not be paying out on orders that have more than 5 items per order. Not eligible on Moto branded phones, Motorola products, gift wrapping, and orders placed for reselling purposes. Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents.

So since I've got 22 items in my cart it's a no-go. I probably could have tried splitting it into 6 orders but no.
I would try splitting it for 80K points.
synergistic, nsx and NextTrip like this.
Old Jun 8, 18, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
I would try splitting it for 80K points.
And at least put the 5 most expensive items in the first purchase, in case there is some sort of "one per customer" gotcha.
Old Jun 11, 18, 6:08 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
There’s no limit, but I can guarantee you that the rules on excluded items will be enforced on a transaction that large.
Old Aug 29, 18, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

So i just wanted to follow up on this. I made the purchase on June 9th of course never expecting to see the points. It took them over a month to ship the units out to me (units shipped July 14). Sometime between July and otday, the points posted (over 75k!!!!). Super frikkin excited about this. I'm scared to even look at it lest it blow away, but I'm now <5k points from companion pass!!!!
Old Aug 30, 18, 7:52 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Good way to get lots of points. Personally, I would have gotten a few new credit cards and used that spend to get signup bonuses, AND the points for the purchase.

If you already have personal and business WN cards and are going for companion pass, then maybe that would not have worked
Old Aug 30, 18, 8:10 am

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
amazing!