Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mother questioned by WN whether biracial child is really hers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mother questioned by WN whether biracial child is really hers

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 12:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
The fact that the agent wanted a facebook photo as "proof" demonstrates to me that the agent is totally IGNORANT.
Some of the anti-child human trafficking training instructs people to ask for photos indicating historical relationship between/amongst individuals, with online/social media photos being considered too.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I have a couple problems with this though...

Before any outrage, let me first preface and say the employee was clearly in the wrong.

1) If the woman had been travelling with the kid and no one else then I'd side with the employee.

2) If the woman and her husband don't wanna share last names, which is fine, they should make sure they're on the same booking. Cuz if not, how would anyone know it's his kid too?

3) Obviously the employee was wrong when she asked for a facebook post, cuz frankly what would a facebook post prove.

But lets not forget...this is only a problem because she was wrong. If she was right, and saved this kid from being kidnapped/trafficked, there'd be a story about a heroic Southwest agent who stopped an abduction. We've literally seen those exact stories posted.

Folks, bi-racial or not, (yes she had a passport for the kid) you should probably have something else on you that can prove you're the parent if the kid's last name isn't the same as yours. Either that, or have the person (in this case the father) who shares the last name board with the baby.
employee was clearly RIGHT. Kid had different surname & was a different colour. There are so many child abductions these days, especially internationally to middle east. 60 Min Australia did one such story, where they tried to snatch kids back for mother who had custody. They failed. I think the kids had been kidnapped to Lebanon.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by southpac
employee was clearly RIGHT. Kid had different surname & was a different colour. There are so many child abductions these days, especially internationally to middle east. 60 Min Australia did one such story, where they tried to snatch kids back for mother who had custody. They failed. I think the kids had been kidnapped to Lebanon.
The father (same surname) was right there. And this was a domestic flight.
​​​
Old May 31, 2018, 1:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ursine1
The father (same surname) was right there. And this was a domestic flight.
​​​
no mention of father in story I read. Selective journalism maybe. You can still kidnap kids domestically & hide them.

Custody battles are probably just as ugly in USA as Australia
Old May 31, 2018, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by southpac
no mention of father in story I read. Selective journalism maybe. You can still kidnap kids domestically & hide them.

Custody battles are probably just as ugly in USA as Australia
Read another story.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
I don't know if they were on the same booking, but there's no indication they weren't. The father was present, they all boarded together.
Was she travelling with the team on a ticket purchased by the University?
If so then yes, the husband would have purchased his own ticket.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Some of the anti-child human trafficking training instructs people to ask for photos indicating historical relationship between/amongst individuals, with online/social media photos being considered too.
I have a friend who's 3 year old was on a "help me" phrase for a few weeks, after going through a drive through they were pulled over by police who sited concern expressed by the drive through staff.
My friend showed pictures of the family on his phone and the police apologized for the inconvenience.

As a father, my friend thanked the officers for their concern and went back to the restaurant to thank the manager for their employees concern as well.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Read another story.
I think we can all agree that rudeness is a much more prevalent problem in modern day society than racism.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Rd3
Well, it looks like WN is saying they were in the wrong--at least what they told TPG:
“We immediately reached out to Ms. Gottlieb to learn more about her concerns and express our apologies; we appreciate her insight in what was a productive conversation. Southwest Airlines’ policies include verifying the age of lap children by reviewing birth certificates or government issued identification. Our reports indicate our Employee questioned a discrepancy between last names on the provided documentation, even though domestic travel would not require carriers to match last names of child and guardian. We utilized this situation as a coaching moment to ensure our policies are properly followed.
Of course Southwest apologized, in the current climate anything less would have been an excuse for massive outrage. It's far easier to apologize than to dispute such an account, in any event many people would never believe any evil corporation. We still know only one side of the interaction and the reason for the request may not have had anything to do with race. The employee could have been confused about the requirements for domestic vs international travel or may have thought only a birth certificate was acceptable or the passenger may have become confused.
joshua362 likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rebadc
I have a friend who's 3 year old was on a "help me" phrase for a few weeks, after going through a drive through they were pulled over by police who sited concern expressed by the drive through staff.
My friend showed pictures of the family on his phone and the police apologized for the inconvenience.

As a father, my friend thanked the officers for their concern and went back to the restaurant to thank the manager for their employees concern as well.
Sounds like yet another example of police resources wasted based on a false alarm in a country that has a lot more common criminal and safety issues to address than that of a 3 year old practicing speaking. It’s suspect “thinking” that finds criminal suspicion where there is no criminal activity. And given how bad logical reasoning scores tend to be even on standardized tests, encouraging an informant state is a recipe for even more waste of police resources.

Originally Posted by pgh234
I think we can all agree that rudeness is a much more prevalent problem in modern day society than racism.
Racism is a form of rudeness, a crude form at that.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 31, 2018 at 9:32 am
Old May 31, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Of course Southwest apologized, in the current climate anything less would have been an excuse for massive outrage. It's far easier to apologize than to dispute such an account,
It's an un-nuanced apology corroborating the account. More than required.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by pgh234

Ultimately, as demonstrated, willful ignorance remains the greatest problem.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:52 am

References:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.924b1de12608

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8376051.html
Old May 31, 2018, 10:55 am

Was she travelling with the team on a ticket purchased by the University?
If so then yes, the husband would have purchased his own ticket.

Not traveling with her team, but unsure who purchased the ticket. This tweet would seem to indicate they were traveling together.

Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA

And what if you're someone like me who refuses to fill up his phone with pictures and games and junk? I have a cell phone, but I guess I'm some kind of weirdo because I use to talk to on the PHONE. I also text occasionally too. But my pictures are on my computer with a backup on dropbox.

Had I been the father in that car, after having visited a restaurant which then called the cops on me for no good reason, I would have chewed out the cop, gone back to the restaurant, chewed out the manager, and then absent a satisfactory apology and refund, a lawsuit.

People need to stop letting other people walk all over them. It is bad for your self-esteem and it encourages the growth of a SNITCH society... like Nazi Germany, or Scientology.

People need to cut it out with the hair trigger response of calling 911!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.