Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Needs 300 points / Has $40 in Travel Fund / Any Tips? Thanks!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG

Hi. I'm 300 points short to be able to make flight change to a better time (needs 2300 points, only have 2000 points in the bank). Any tips on the cheapest way to get 300 points? Any way I can use the $40 left in a travel fund (expiring this December)? I hate to spend $60 for 2000 points that will end up expiring... Thanks
Old May 21, 2018, 1:06 pm

I would suggest completing a first survey on Rewards for Opinions for a 500 point bonus, but it looks the program isn't accepting new members right now. To my knowledge, travel funds nor any form of cash for that matter can be combined with points bookings (unfortunately). I suppose purchasing the points is your best bet.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:14 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
A cheap rental car or hotel stay could get you 600 points posted fairly quickly.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
A cheap rental car or hotel stay could get you 600 points posted fairly quickly.
:-( Can't find anything cheaper than $60. Any more than $60, then I might as well buy 2,000 for $60 directly from Southwest. :-( Thanks any way.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maybebehindyou
I would suggest completing a first survey on Rewards for Opinions for a 500 point bonus, but it looks the program isn't accepting new members right now. To my knowledge, travel funds nor any form of cash for that matter can be combined with points bookings (unfortunately). I suppose purchasing the points is your best bet.
Sounds like I will have to buy if I need that 300 points. :-(. Thanks any way
Old May 21, 2018, 6:08 pm

Rapid Rewards Shopping. $1 trial subscriptions like Barron's or WSJ for a few hundred points. Just be very careful to cancel before auto-renew kicks in.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Sente
Rapid Rewards Shopping. $1 trial subscriptions like Barron's or WSJ for a few hundred points. Just be very careful to cancel before auto-renew kicks in.
Good idea, saw 900 points today for a WSJ 12 week trial. I think they post pretty fast too. Pay for it with a virtual credit card that restricts the dollar amount, I just did one today $12 for 12 weeks print edition.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:33 am

Shouldn't the cash cost of a 2300pt flight be significantly less than the $40 travel credit plus the $60 you're talking about spending via buying points? I'd be more interested in using up the travel credit than the points, the points are easy to extend.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by synergistic
Shouldn't the cash cost of a 2300pt flight be significantly less than the $40 travel credit plus the $60 you're talking about spending via buying points? I'd be more interested in using up the travel credit than the points, the points are easy to extend.
yes but I think the OP already has a ticket and the 2300 is the extra points for a more expensive flight.
synergistic likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: US Silver, WN, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
Don't know where the OP lives but if they are in California or Vegas there are frequently short haul flights even last minute from LA to SFO or Vegas that are $45, use the $40 travel credit and that should earn 300 points with the Double Points offer that is running through June 13th.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:03 am

I placed an order yesterday at Sam's Club thru the RR shopping portal, and the points posted to my account this morning. I actually was amazed at how quickly the points posted.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by justhere
yes but I think the OP already has a ticket and the 2300 is the extra points for a more expensive flight.
You're quite right, of course. I shouldn't even try to post in the early AM, I'm especially prone to mistakes like that.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:49 pm

Buy some flowers for someone you love ! Nab ya a usually pretty quick 1000 points for $30 or so..
Old May 23, 2018, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mke9499
I placed an order yesterday at Sam's Club thru the RR shopping portal, and the points posted to my account this morning. I actually was amazed at how quickly the points posted.
Can you buy gift cards through the portal for bonus points? Every so often Sam’s has an insanely good offer on some random gift card.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks

Can you buy gift cards through the portal for bonus points? Every so often Sam’s has an insanely good offer on some random gift card.
According to terms and conditions:

Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.