Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Couple takes 21-hour one-way journey on WN: BOS-DEN-SAT-MSY-PHX-LAS-SFO

Old May 19, 18, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

https://www.inc.com/bill-murphy-jr/s...he-did-it.html
Old May 19, 18, 5:47 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
You couldn't pay me to take that trip.............ok, you could, $10K, lol
Old May 19, 18, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many FTers' would have done more in the past.
Great Circle Mapper

Mendiola and his girlfriend left home at about 4 a.m. for Logan Airport, where they took Southwest flight 3219 to Denver, departing at 6:35 a.m.
In Denver, they had a one-hour layover before taking the exact same plane, still flight 3219, to San Antonio.
After a 2 hour and 15 minute layover in San Antonio, they flew to New Orleans on flight 1719.
Thirty minutes later, they took the same plane (still flight 1719) to Phoenix.
Another 40 minutes on the ground, and they took the same plane yet another time (once again, flight 1719) to Las Vegas.
Finally, after another 35 minutes on the ground, they boarded flight 1719 one last time, for San Francisco, arriving at 11:25 p.m. local time, 21 hours after their departure
Old May 20, 18, 3:37 am

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
By the way, I asked Southwest Airlines about Mendiola's itinerary. They airline didn't seem surprised that the 21-hour trip had had shown up as an option. In fact, they appeared to view this kind of intinerary as a feature, not a bug.

"When we switched over to our new reservation system last year, we were able to institute something we refer to as 'Dynamic Connections,'" spokesperson Dan Landson told me in an email. "This allows customers to see all travel options between the cities they are traveling between. It also gives them the ultimate flexibility to choose which routing, time, and price point that meets their travel needs."
Southwest used to have schedules that were hard-coded into their system, updated occasionally. Sometimes there would be no way to buy a ticket from A to B even though there are flights via some other place, it's just that no one at Southwest had thought of that one. This way, the computer finds all the ways you can fly from A to B given the entire schedule of individual flights.
Old May 20, 18, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
By the way, I asked Southwest Airlines about Mendiola's itinerary. They airline didn't seem surprised that the 21-hour trip had had shown up as an option. In fact, they appeared to view this kind of intinerary as a feature, not a bug.

"When we switched over to our new reservation system last year, we were able to institute something we refer to as 'Dynamic Connections,'" spokesperson Dan Landson told me in an email. "This allows customers to see all travel options between the cities they are traveling between. It also gives them the ultimate flexibility to choose which routing, time, and price point that meets their travel needs."

That statement suggests their Revenue Management is pretty primitive - like 1960s American Airlines punchcard primitive. There's no way that the couple's fare maximized revenue over six segments.
Old May 20, 18, 8:21 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
Southwest used to have schedules that were hard-coded into their system, updated occasionally. Sometimes there would be no way to buy a ticket from A to B even though there are flights via some other place, it's just that no one at Southwest had thought of that one. This way, the computer finds all the ways you can fly from A to B given the entire schedule of individual flights.
I'm not sure anything has really changed here and there are still many legal connections that WN won't price/sell as a single fare. Also, I still believe they limit the number of "flights" per direction to two. If you look at their itin, you will see that only two flight numbers are involved here and the complexity is due to the use of "direct" flights.
Old May 20, 18, 12:42 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
I'm not sure anything has really changed here and there are still many legal connections that WN won't price/sell as a single fare. Also, I still believe they limit the number of "flights" per direction to two. If you look at their itin, you will see that only two flight numbers are involved here and the complexity is due to the use of "direct" flights.
That seems to be about right. Putting in some different city pairs on the website to see what routings I can get, so far the longest I see is a 4 stop BUF-SNA flight (BUF-MDW-MSP-DEN-SMF-SNA) but the only plane change is in Denver. I can find a lot of 3 stop flights on other routes, but with a max of 1 plane change, and a rather long "direct" flight. (I remember once flying a southwest direct flight from DCA to OAK with a DCA-DAL-SNA-OAK routing. At least we were always flying westward, but it took the better part of a day!)

Now if Southwest's frequent flier program was segment-based, instead of whole flight-based, I'm sure many more people (at least FTers) would take these crazy routings more often!
Old May 21, 18, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Segment-running used to be a big thing on Flyertalk when it was more lucrative in more airline programs to do this.
Old May 21, 18, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA, UA, WN, HHonors Gold, Avis Pref+
My family did FLL-HOU-DAL-ELP-PHX on a single plane and flight number in 2009. Changed seats a few times and ate a lot of peanuts that day.
Old May 21, 18, 4:05 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by ZonaFlyer View Post
My family did FLL-HOU-DAL-ELP-PHX on a single plane and flight number in 2009. Changed seats a few times and ate a lot of peanuts that day.
We did similar, SJC-LAS-TPA-ISP, 11 hours on the same plane. I had the infinite legroom seat the entire way, kids moved about. It was much cheaper in points to break up the itinerary into 2 PNR's, which we did, but never left the plane.
Old May 21, 18, 7:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
I can't believe nobody's asked the FT-esque question: "Did they get one RR segment credit, or 5?"
flyingill likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: