Seat saving redux

Old May 17, 18, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Seat saving redux

I just sent this message to customer relations in hopes of getting clarification one way or the other:

"I would like clarification in writing about whether passengers can or cannot save seats. In the past I have been told by crew members that there is no policy, that one can take any "unclaimed" seat, that exit rows cannot be saved etc. On this flight, I was informed by pilot xxxxx SWA#xxxxx that I could not save a single seat in the bulkhead row when another able bodied passenger wanted it. I asked if that was company policy and was told that it is. I told him the new policy should be publicized and that I would like his information so I could seek clarification. I have been a RR member for over 25 years and realize that open seating is a benefit but can also lead to disputes with passengers. I thanked the pilot even though he did not rule in my favor because I think the other passenger might have caused a problem onboard if she was not allowed to take the seat I was intending to save. Please give me a response in writing that I can carry with me on future flights. As I mentioned earlier, I have experienced inconsistent handling of seat saving issues in the past by various personnel. Thank you."

I hope I get a response as the no-policy policy is problematic in this day of increasing bad behavior by passengers aboard aircraft. Actually, I would be happy if they just made a decision one way or the other which would be applied equally in all situations.
Old May 17, 18, 10:15 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Don't save bulkhead or exit row seats, problem solved. Attempting to save either will cause headaches for the crew, other seats aren't worth them getting involved.
Old May 17, 18, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aaronp84 View Post
Don't save bulkhead or exit row seats, problem solved. Attempting to save either will cause headaches for the crew, other seats aren't worth them getting involved.
My wife has a disability and pre-boarded with me handling her luggage. The third family member came on with general boarding. I suppose the three of us could have boarded together but that wasn't necessary so she didn't. Your proposal is reasonable and, perhaps, Southwest should make it the policy.
Old May 17, 18, 10:49 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
OH STOP

This is such old old news.

after 3,890,675 posts... enough is enough. Save or not save. Done.
harold and kennycrudup like this.
Old May 17, 18, 10:50 am

That makes sense for the two of you, but if someone else wants a seat, especially in a prime area, they are more than likely to take it. As others here have noted, are you willing to risk an altercation to save a seat for someone boarding much later? I doubt it.
Old May 17, 18, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by carraher View Post
My wife has a disability and pre-boarded with me handling her luggage. The third family member came on with general boarding. I suppose the three of us could have boarded together but that wasn't necessary so she didn't. Your proposal is reasonable and, perhaps, Southwest should make it the policy.
Are you sure that your third family member could have pre-boarding with you? I thought pre-boarders were entitled one family member for assistance.
As for seat saving, I agree WN should come out with a policy, and be firmly against it. It will drive EBCI revenue too as you won't have one family member paying EBCI on a separate itinerary and trying to save seats for the rest of the family.
Old May 17, 18, 11:32 am

Programs: none
Great. Another thread on seat saving, We haven't had one in a long time, so It's about time for another. May 17,2018

This thread will go on for days or weeks (with no resolution, of course)

Last edited by Allan38103; May 17, 18 at 5:05 pm
Old May 17, 18, 11:47 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred
Agreed. Moderators please close this.
Old May 17, 18, 11:51 am

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Just yesterday sitting in the Exit row I had a flight attendant ask if I was saving the middle seat for someone. I kind of gave her an odd look and said no as I am firmly in the no seat saving in premium rows club, but seems she would have been ok with it, and maybe even assisted in saving it if I had said yes.

I do engage in a bit of seat saving when traveling with my wife and son though, since Southwest hates frequent flyers and won't extend my boarding position to companions. In that instance though, a simple, "sure you can have this seat but there will be a lap toddler next to you, sound good?" has them moving on to a different row.
codex57 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 17, 18, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by dabeags View Post
Southwest hates frequent flyers and won't extend my boarding position to companions..
I'm not convinced they lack the software.

But think of the revenue.
Old May 17, 18, 1:56 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
I'm not convinced they lack the software.

But think of the revenue.
Yeah, it's probably the one thing that really grinds my gears at WN, as well as just the general lack of perks for A+ over A-List.
Old May 17, 18, 3:53 pm
Suspended

The solution: Assigned seating....
c502cid and MCO Flyer like this.
Old May 17, 18, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Proudelitist View Post
to be more direct... the solution is to fly an airline that allows seat reservation before boarding.
c502cid, Often1 and jinglish like this.
Old May 18, 18, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist View Post
Yeah because everyone knows seat poaching never, ever happens on the legacies
codex57 likes this.
Old May 18, 18, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aaronp84 View Post
Yeah because everyone knows seat poaching never, ever happens on the legacies
It happens rarely, and the ones I've seen in person have always an honest mistake. (e.g., someone is confused about whether D or F is the window seat). I've seen threads about a jerk poaching to switch to a better seat, but the passenger holding the boarding pass has the upper hand in that case. Not so on Southwest.

Back to the OP's question...I doubt he'll get anything other than a canned response to his email!
Often1 and TSparky like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: