Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally! get rid of fake service dogs!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Thanks. There will always be cheaters. I do like your idea about requirements similar to HC parking permits.
I understand in most states to get a Handicapped Permit you have to present a doctors certificate to the DMV to get one, some states waive the requirement in cases that are obvious.

Perhaps it could be something like a prescription. The Professional sends a certification under penalty of perjury to DOT automated system that issues a document to the person's cell, email, or fax. I often get prescriptions filled the same day by the Doctor sending it directly to the pharmacy of my choice.That would facilitate tracking Professionals who sign off on thousands of them. DOT could take action or refer the Professional to their licensing board Similar to the way insurers track benefits or DEA tracks narcotics. What we have now is basically an honor system that isn't working because when it was started no one envisioned the situation that developed.
ursine1 and Troopers like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:54 pm

Understood.

Incorrect. Refer to page 9 and 10 of the Interim Statement: https://www.regulations.gov/document...2018-0067-0001
Assuming you refer to the following, I stand corrected.

When deciding to accept an animal as a service animal, airlines must determine both that the passenger is an individual with a disability and that the animal is a service animal. See 73 FR 27614, 27658. If a passenger’s status as an individual with a disability is unclear (for example, if the disability is not clearly visible), then the airline personnel may ask questions about the passenger’s need for a service animal. For example, airlines may ask “how does your animal assist you with your disability?” See 73 FR 27614, 27660. A credible response to this question would establish both that the passenger is an individual with a disability and that the animal is a service animal. While airlines are required to accept items such as vests and harnesses as evidence of a service animal’s status, it would be reasonable for airlines to also request the passenger’s credible verbal assurance to ensure the passenger is an individual with a disability who has a need for that service animal.

I also would appreciate stricter enforcement by airline personnel, but ultimately I think we're not best served by leaving it up to individual discretion. I think a better answer might be clearly defined documentation requirements and approval procedures.

In practice, how does "airlines are required to accept items such as vests and harnesses as evidence of a service animal’s status" coexist with "it would be reasonable for airlines to also request the passenger’s credible verbal assurance to ensure the passenger is an individual with a disability who has a need for that service animal"?
Old May 17, 2018, 3:59 pm

Great, you're finally getting it.

Nope, my language was very precise. You just didn't understand the definition within the framework of ACAA and ADA. Clearly my attempt to aid you by adding language along the lines of "consistent with ADA" failed.
The initial discussion was specific to the ACAA, and more so to the 10 issues being presented for comment.

Not the ADA. You threw the ADA in later. (Unless, by "federal statue" you meant "ADA." There we go again with the "imprecise language.")

Old May 17, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Assuming you refer to the following, I stand corrected.

When deciding to accept an animal as a service animal, airlines must determine both that the passenger is an individual with a disability and that the animal is a service animal. See 73 FR 27614, 27658. If a passenger’s status as an individual with a disability is unclear (for example, if the disability is not clearly visible), then the airline personnel may ask questions about the passenger’s need for a service animal. For example, airlines may ask “how does your animal assist you with your disability?” See 73 FR 27614, 27660. A credible response to this question would establish both that the passenger is an individual with a disability and that the animal is a service animal. While airlines are required to accept items such as vests and harnesses as evidence of a service animal’s status, it would be reasonable for airlines to also request the passenger’s credible verbal assurance to ensure the passenger is an individual with a disability who has a need for that service animal.

Correct (for some reason I was unable to copy and paste from the PDF).

I also would appreciate stricter enforcement by airline personnel, but ultimately I think we're not best served by leaving it up to individual discretion. I think a better answer might be clearly defined documentation requirements and approval procedures.
Completely agree. I think all the various stakeholders (airlines, disabled pax, able-bodied pax, advocacy groups, etc) agree as well. Heck, even the DOT recognizes that the current code is lacking. Thus, my (hopeful) opinion that the changes will be more that just a small step forward.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:17 pm

The initial discussion was specific to the ACAA, and more so to the 10 issues being presented for comment.

Not the ADA. You threw the ADA in later.
Discussion remains specific to ACAA. I suggested a change to the ACAA consistent with ADA ^

Well, it's been a fun discussion...be back later.
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:33 pm

In practice, how does "airlines are required to accept items such as vests and harnesses as evidence of a service animal’s status" coexist with "it would be reasonable for airlines to also request the passenger’s credible verbal assurance to ensure the passenger is an individual with a disability who has a need for that service animal"?
This is not the act but it is how the government would evaluate a complaint. The airlines are literally in a no-win situation here. Deny someone who may be lying or allow someone they think is lying, with no way to determine what the truth is, The airline is going to err on the side of low reprucussions every time. Look at the publicity the Emotional Support Peacock got, and that was clearly a stunt.
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A carrier requiring the disclosure of a specific diagnosis would be a HIPPA violation.

Which is why they don't, and why it's not allowed under the ACAA.

There is no disclosure of a specific diagnosis.

The required forms have a check box. (This is Alaska's.)

Obviously our opinions differ.

I, personally, do not believe that Tiffany, who absolutely must travel with her teacup poodle Puddles or she'll just die! cares one way or the other that anyone knows she sees a mental health professional.
Isn't there a required statement from the mental health professional that the patient needs an emotional support animal?
Old May 17, 2018, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
This is not the act but it is how the government would evaluate a complaint. The airlines are literally in a no-win situation here. Deny someone who may be lying or allow someone they think is lying, with no way to determine what the truth is, The airline is going to err on the side of low reprucussions every time. Look at the publicity the Emotional Support Peacock got, and that was clearly a stunt.

Oh, understood. And agreed. That was my point, and that's why, I think, carriers are seeking more direction.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:04 pm

The more I think about it the more I like my prescription approach.

There is literally no way a Gate Agent, Ticket Agent or Ops Agent can verify whether any letter from the Professional is authentic. It could be a forgery, it could be issued by someone who only claims to have the credentials, the Professional could have loaned their credentials to some third party, or the Professional's credentials could have been stolen. I'm also not sure how expansive the definition of the Professional is, perhaps that could be tightened somewhat to people who actually have a license in the United States to provide individual care.

If the prescription were run through a database first the Professionals's name and license number at least could be verified.
ursine1 likes this.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; May 17, 2018 at 10:05 pm Reason: typo
Old May 17, 2018, 10:25 pm

That applies to "service animals," yes. And it's unfortunate. ESAs can trigger documentation should the carrier require it (and the vast majority do).

Should documentation be required for all service animals? I'd say yes, but that actually makes it harder on those with legitimate service dogs, not ESAs, since carriers already require documentation for ESAs. But it could help reduce the number of fake "service animals."
Training Service Animals and their Owners is an expensive and complicated process. I can't imagine how it could be done without the involvement of an acknowledged Professional. I doubt many people with actual Service Animals are not under the regular care of a Physician for their disability.

Emotional Support Animals are a whole 'nother kettle of touchy-feely stuff. Is a "Life Coach" allowed to prescribe an Emotional Support Animal?
Old May 17, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Don't you f-cking dare!

Rosa Parks was forced to ride in the back of the bus- she wasn't so afraid to ride in a bus she could only sit in the front of one to calm her nerves.
I think you took that the wrong way. I think the poster was being sarcastic in response to a poster who was suggesting that certain people should be forced to go to the back of the plane. It would be a violation of the current rules for an airline like WN to require people with service animals to sit at the back of the plane. Plus the poster who suggested it seems to think that people will weigh the decision of taking a service animal vs. sitting in the front of the plane and that they all have a choice. The reality is some people need both a service animal and a seat near the front of the plane, especially if they have difficulty walking, etc.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:29 am

Personally, I do not wish to share my very limited foot space with somebody's emotional support or service animal. If they have a large dog or miniature horse, they should buy a second seat, just as customers of size should do.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't there a required statement from the mental health professional that the patient needs an emotional support animal?
The ACAA allows it to be asked, American and United's forms do, none of the other's that I've seen have include that question.

There needs to be standardization. The process needs to be taken away from carrier's policy and regulated on a national level, in my opinion.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Training Service Animals and their Owners is an expensive and complicated process. I can't imagine how it could be done without the involvement of an acknowledged Professional. I doubt many people with actual Service Animals are not under the regular care of a Physician for their disability.

Emotional Support Animals are a whole 'nother kettle of touchy-feely stuff. Is a "Life Coach" allowed to prescribe an Emotional Support Animal?
Agreed, essentially. But using current standards, this would mean that passengers with legitimate service animals would need to get a carrier-specific form completed by their doctor for each and every flight, as opposed to having a letter that provides blanket coverage for their travel needs.

Again, I think there needs to be standardization, and at the national level -- out of the hands of individual carriers.

Life coach's aren't licensed (although someone with a professional license can be a life coach), so in general, no.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:12 pm

Agreed, essentially. But using current standards, this would mean that passengers with legitimate service animals would need to get a carrier-specific form completed by their doctor for each and every flight, as opposed to having a letter that provides blanket coverage for their travel needs.

Again, I think there needs to be standardization, and at the national level -- out of the hands of individual carriers.

Life coach's aren't licensed (although someone with a professional license can be a life coach), so in general, no.
People with ESRs get a letter from someone once a year, getting a renewals would be the same except the practitioner could be verified. Under the current system all that is needed is a letter on a letterhead that says it was signed by a practitioner. The Airline Employee looking at the letter has no way to verify that the letter is genuine. I think I could probably write one and sign the name of just about anyone living, dead or non-existant and the airline couldn't do anything much about it.
You could (and I'm sure some do) also fake a Service Animal since many Service Animals perform functions that aren't immediately obvious, unlike a seeing eye dog.

The Life Coach thing was a joke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.