Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New policy? Carry your boarding pass on board...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy? Carry your boarding pass on board...

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Frequent pax still use paper??? Odd.
Always paper for me. Avoids scan problems with screen rotation and having paper in hand helps with line position discussion.
BearX220 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW

Always paper for me. Avoids scan problems with screen rotation and having paper in hand helps with line position discussion.
You can lock your screen to prevent it from turning. I've never had a problem using a passbook boarding pass as it automatically adjust the brightness to the highest setting when viewing a boarding pass - it scans every single time. Having a paper boarding pass is just something else to keep up with at this point and not needed.
smmrfld, tusphotog and steved5480 like this.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:48 am

Paper doesn't require any of those screen locking/turning settings, or brightness to the highest setting

All my pants have pockets that easily hold the paper boarding pass

If I'm at a PC anytime from T-24 to heading to the airport, I print it out. If not, I'll use the app.

Most flights for me now are BS, so then I also have to screenshot/passport the drink coupon as it disappears at takeoff
Old May 11, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW

OK then. 100+/- flights a year and have never had a screen rotation problem or had need for a paper pass to line up in the right place. But I understand that some are reluctant to embrace technology.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seat13c
I still use the paper boarding pass at the airport. I find they scan better than the mobile boarding passes, especially with the screen protectors and if your brightness isn't set just right. Besides, I don't like using my a percent or two of my battery life just to save Southwest the cost of 1 piece of paper. Battery conservation sometimes is needed especially since I can't charge my device on board. I still do check in either on my phone or online the day prior to get the better boarding position.
This. I use BOTH actually.

I print the paper one because as you say, I am not about to waste my own battery life so WN can save 1 cent on a piece of paper, they don't scan well anyhow, I don't want to be that guy at the gate or TSA who has to login to his phone and find it while everyone else waits, and in the event that I lose my phone or it dies, I have the paper pass.

And I do download and keep the electronic one on my phone, although I only use it if I lose the paper BP. It's more of a backup to have it on my phone than the primary BP.

As someone said here, electronic BP's are a solution in search of a problem.

But I suspect that WN was taking on liability in tossing the BP's in the trash at the gate. There is alot of information there. Better to let the customer retain custody of it the whole time, and as a result, responsibility for it.

Last edited by Proudelitist; May 11, 2018 at 10:04 am
Old May 11, 2018, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blitzjb
Carry a small portable charger........I scan my iphone faster than anyone on line with a paper pass.
No you don't.
will2288, jhalapin and smc333 like this.
Old May 11, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Talking

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Paper doesn't require any of those screen locking/turning settings, or brightness to the highest setting.
This debate reminds me of the first clunky customer service interfaces that went up during Internet 1.0, 20+ years ago... you could go online to order a pizza, go through about 15 laborious steps, and congratulate yourself for being leading-edge... or just call the pizzeria and probably have the pie at the door before the computer geek logged off.
dmbolp likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
This debate reminds me of the first clunky customer service interfaces that went up during Internet 1.0, 20+ years ago... you could go online to order a pizza, go through about 15 laborious steps, and congratulate yourself for being leading-edge... or just call the pizzeria and probably have the pie at the door before the computer geek logged off.
And how do you order now?

There's definitely the argument that mobile boarding passes as implemented don't yet take full advantage of the technology -- Southwest especially. But when your flight is cancelled and you're rebooked automatically and have a BP pushed to your phone -- instead of waiting in a huge line -- the benefit is obvious.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
I wouldn't make an extra stop to get a paper BP, but if I'm checking a bag anyway, it takes the agent 5 seconds to print one. If nothing else, it offers redundancy in the event that legendary WN IT strikes (I have experienced the app failing to launch).
Old May 11, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ursine1
And how do you order now? .
I use an app that was undreamed of 20 years ago. The tech has evolved mightily since those rickety 1996 websites. And that's the whole point. When the value / usability / speed / reliability proposition finally swings away from paper, I and many more will follow. But frankly I expect phone-based QR codes to be a short-lived stopgap BP solution. We'll have an RFID or bio solution overtake them soon enough.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:58 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dmbolp
Paper doesn't require any of those screen locking/turning settings, or brightness to the highest setting

All my pants have pockets that easily hold the paper boarding pass

If I'm at a PC anytime from T-24 to heading to the airport, I print it out. If not, I'll use the app.

Most flights for me now are BS, so then I also have to screenshot/passport the drink coupon as it disappears at takeoff
Not sure how it works on Android but in iOS all you have to do is hit the "i" on the front of the boarding pass in Wallet. That reveals the details including proof of a drink coupon. No connection necessary.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:21 pm

I expect phone-based QR codes to be a short-lived stopgap BP solution. We'll have an RFID or bio solution overtake them soon enough.
I think not.

Across Europe, QR codes are how you get into security lines. No human interaction. A green light at the portal and you're stacking your stuff in bins. A red light..and you're pressed for further confirmation. Airline and government interfaces are exquisitely seamless.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:39 pm

I think comparing 20 year-old internet technology to today's mobile boarding passes is a bit of a stretch. Even factoring in Southwest's IT.

Certainly new technologies are coming that will streamline the process. But I have to laugh at some of the "reasons" offered here against mobile BPs. Auto-rotate? Brightness?

Seriously!? Is your phone from 1996?
Old May 11, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I use an app that was undreamed of 20 years ago. The tech has evolved mightily since those rickety 1996 websites. And that's the whole point. When the value / usability / speed / reliability proposition finally swings away from paper, I and many more will follow. But frankly I expect phone-based QR codes to be a short-lived stopgap BP solution. We'll have an RFID or bio solution overtake them soon enough.
Am I the only one who still calls to order a pizza? The websites still take forever and my phone yells at me enough as it is about being almost out of space to add another app.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ursine1
I think comparing 20 year-old internet technology to today's mobile boarding passes is a bit of a stretch. Even factoring in Southwest's IT.

Certainly new technologies are coming that will streamline the process. But I have to laugh at some of the "reasons" offered here against mobile BPs. Auto-rotate? Brightness?

Seriously!? Is your phone from 1996?
Do Southwest even allow multiple BP's in the app yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.