Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New policy? Carry your boarding pass on board...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass

Last night at LAX all passengers were required to carry their paper boarding pass with them when boarding. Anomaly or new policy?
Old May 10, 2018, 1:47 pm

I've had that happen a few times. No reason I can see nor is it consistent.
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:53 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I think it _is_ a new policy. I've seen it consistently for the past week or so.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:02 pm

Have seen it multiple times recently, but less often than not
Old May 10, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
It is to embarrass people that still use paper boarding passes.
nsx, bbbb, tusphotog and 3 others like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 2:55 pm

In Vegas yesterday, they mentioned that handing boarding passes back was a new Southwest policy that was started on 5/3.

My guess is that they are doing this to avoid the privacy and security risks from throwing the passes with name, FF #, and locator # in the trash like they used to.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
In Vegas yesterday, they mentioned that handing boarding passes back was a new Southwest policy that was started on 5/3.

My guess is that they are doing this to avoid the privacy and security risks from throwing the passes with name, FF #, and locator # in the trash like they used to.
Instead they will reside in seat back pockets for several more flights, then into trash collected by flight attendants. Not recycled, as on the ground.

Sign me,

Unembarrassed paper boarding pass user (based on real experience and on impatience watching electronic passes slowing down the boarding process)
Old May 10, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Announced as new policy by gate agents at DTW and BWI for my flights this week.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by Blitzjb
It is to embarrass people that still use paper boarding passes.
I still use the paper boarding pass at the airport. I find they scan better than the mobile boarding passes, especially with the screen protectors and if your brightness isn't set just right. Besides, I don't like using my a percent or two of my battery life just to save Southwest the cost of 1 piece of paper. Battery conservation sometimes is needed especially since I can't charge my device on board. I still do check in either on my phone or online the day prior to get the better boarding position.
BearX220, sdsearch, dlaue and 6 others like this.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Seat13c
I still use the paper boarding pass at the airport. I find they scan better than the mobile boarding passes, especially with the screen protectors and if your brightness isn't set just right. Besides, I don't like using my a percent or two of my battery life just to save Southwest the cost of 1 piece of paper. Battery conservation sometimes is needed especially since I can't charge my device on board. I still do check in either on my phone or online the day prior to get the better boarding position.
My phone has crap battery life. What am I supposed to do when it dies on me?

And electronic BPs don’t solve an actual problem anyway.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
As someone who switches back and forth, I usually find paper boarding passes to be less of a hassle (and less draining on my phone's terrible battery). Plus I know it's usually cheap receipt paper but I enjoy having a memento of the flight as well.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Always wondered why they took them. Maybe because you do not need them since there is no seat assignment on them.

One time we had to unload due to equipment problems. Major hassle to reboard since nobody had their paper boarding passes. In those cases, it is really needed.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why would someone not carry their boarding pass on board and, in fact, keep it for reimburasement purposes or until FF credit posts? Are passengers dropping them on the floor of the jetway? There's always a chance that a flight will return to the gate and cancel, in which case it would be convenient to have a boarding pass when being rebooked.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The policy change makes it quicker to do a hand count when the gate reader vs. FA headcount is off. In the first pass after a mismatch, passengers can simply be asked to hold out their BP, whether paper or electronic. Knocks a good 20-30 minutes off and there is no particular reason for WN to collect the paper as it serves no purpose.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The policy change makes it quicker to do a hand count when the gate reader vs. FA headcount is off. In the first pass after a mismatch, passengers can simply be asked to hold out their BP, whether paper or electronic. Knocks a good 20-30 minutes off and there is no particular reason for WN to collect the paper as it serves no purpose.
Oh, for the "good old days" prior to 9/11. I remember a discussion between the ground crew and senior flight attendant aboard a USAir flight in ~ 1995 ---> Gate agent; "we are off by three <passengers>".

Flight attendant: "Close enough!"

Door closed and off we went.
steved5480 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.