Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Flight Diverted With A Cracked Window!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,

Southwest Flight 957 from Chicago/MDW to Newark reports that his flight was just diverted to Cleveland after a window shattered during his flight. He reports that it sounded like a loud crack after something hit the window and shattered it, causing the crew to divert the flight to Cleveland.
?Window issue? causes Southwest flight from Chicago to make emergency landing | WGN-TV

I have 5 flights with SW during next 2 months and I am thinking seriously in changing them.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
By all means please do that. The rest of us need the seats.
joshua362, oopsz, smmrfld and 7 others like this.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:41 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by honores41
I have 5 flights with SW during next 2 months and I am thinking seriously in changing them.
You would need to stop flying every airline that uses an airplane that uses that type of window. To be even safer, don't fly in any airplane with a pressurized cabin. Or fly only in military transport aircraft, which have almost no windows.

This is not a Southwest-specific problem, and no airline flies an aircraft with an already-cracked window. They are replaced immediately.
drooley likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
OTOH...one incident is an anecdote; two incidents are a concern.
HawaiiO, Globalist, Zeeb and 3 others like this.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by honores41
Southwest Flight 957 from Chicago/MDW to Newark reports that his flight was just diverted to Cleveland after a window shattered during his flight. He reports that it sounded like a loud crack after something hit the window and shattered it, causing the crew to divert the flight to Cleveland.
?Window issue? causes Southwest flight from Chicago to make emergency landing WGN-TV

Love when being irrational leads to bad decisions.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:07 am

Statistically, Southwest is overdue.

Lower fares, at least temporarily, coming soon?
Old May 2, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Shattered? Most people think of shattered meaning the pieces actually came out of the window.

In this case, the outer window had a crack. I have no idea, but I assume these things must happen from time to time.

Also, I saw some posts saying the window was blown out. Drama!

It was CRACKED.
drooley and rickg523 like this.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:18 am

Southwest says it was just an unscheduled stop for a maintenance review of a potential crack.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
You would need to stop flying every airline that uses an airplane that uses that type of window. To be even safer, don't fly in any airplane with a pressurized cabin. Or fly only in military transport aircraft, which have almost no windows.

This is not a Southwest-specific problem, and no airline flies an aircraft with an already-cracked window. They are replaced immediately.
The military transport aircraft comparison might be a wrong choice of words knowing one crashed today in Savannah Georgia likely leaving several dead.

Although a cracked window is not a Southwest specific problem it is to be noted that it is the second time in two weeks. The cause of the first time was engine debris and the cause today is so far unknown. If it was caused by a part of the aircraft coming off it is a huge concern and the OP would be right to have concerns. If not then it is vital to find out as windows don’t just crack.

Globalist

Last edited by Globalist; May 2, 2018 at 11:43 am
Old May 2, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Originally Posted by steved5480
By all means please do that. The rest of us need the seats.
All yours my friend. Also take a good parachute with you.
joshua362 and steved5480 like this.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:48 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=DenverBrian;29707473]OTOH...one incident is an anecdote; two incidents are a concern.[/QUO
I agree...
Old May 2, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass
I know that Southwest likes to say that they do maintenance to cohere with their FAA-approved maintenance program, but I also keep hearing that they have outsourced the maintenance to South American contractors.
honores41 likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: none
If I knew ahead of time which flight was going to give its passengers a $5000 bonus, I would be on it, regardless of where it is going.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Globalist

If not then it is vital to find out as windows don’t just crack.

Globalist
Windows do crack occasionally. More common in the cockpit, but it does happen nonetheless.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
If I knew ahead of time which flight was going to give its passengers a $5000 bonus, I would be on it, regardless of where it is going.

I guarantee you that the passengers on this latest flight won't receive $5000.

I suspect they may receive ~$500, which is more than most get for a diverted flight due to mechanical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.