Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Flight Diverted With A Cracked Window!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Flight Diverted With A Cracked Window!

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
In the most raw form, sure, but the scenarios are completely different.. There's a big difference between a pax window cracking just all on its own, and a pax window cracking because a big chunk of departing engine cowling hit it.
Yet the potential consequences of each incident is a passenger fatality. Once we get to that level, it's worth monitoring, IMO.

People seldom realize this, but oddball stuff happens every day in the airline world. Flight occasionally blow a tire on takeoff or landing.
Which has never, AFAIK, resulted in a fatality.
Flights abort takeoffs, or go missed approach when landing.
Which doesn't result in a fatality.
Earlier than normal landings are made for pax misconduct issues.
Doesn't result in a fatality.

After a major event (like 1380), the media's tendency is to report on anything remotely out of the ordinary, with a link (justified or not) to the previous major event.
The difference here is the potential for a fatal injury. Deaths make the news, especially airline deaths, precisely because they are so rare. The potential for a death (and, admittedly, a grisly death in this case) will obviously feed the news stream.

If this latest window crack has anything at all to do with metal fatigue, it's concerning because WN has had past issues with metal fatigue, including a hole blown in the top of a 737 at cruising altitude.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:23 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
without the preset window spacing seating could be brought even closer!
Oh, joy! Although the slight increase in seat width would be nice.

I wonder if flat displays could take the place of windows.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Yet the potential consequences of each incident is a passenger fatality. Once we get to that level, it's worth monitoring, IMO.

Which has never, AFAIK, resulted in a fatality.
Which doesn't result in a fatality.
Doesn't result in a fatality.

The difference here is the potential for a fatal injury. Deaths make the news, especially airline deaths, precisely because they are so rare. The potential for a death (and, admittedly, a grisly death in this case) will obviously feed the news stream.

If this latest window crack has anything at all to do with metal fatigue, it's concerning because WN has had past issues with metal fatigue, including a hole blown in the top of a 737 at cruising altitude.
A burst tire most certainly has resulted in a fatality. That is what caused the Concorde to crash. EK crashed a 777 on a go around recently too, thankfully no fatalities though.
joshua362 likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

A burst tire most certainly has resulted in a fatality. That is what caused the Concorde to crash. EK crashed a 777 on a go around recently too, thankfully no fatalities though.
Hence, the "AFAIK" qualifier. Thanks for reminding me of the Concorde; given its footprint and accessibility to the general world population, I'd discount that single incident vs. what's happened at WN over the past few years. <shrugs>
Old May 2, 2018, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Hence, the "AFAIK" qualifier. Thanks for reminding me of the Concorde; given its footprint and accessibility to the general world population, I'd discount that single incident vs. what's happened at WN over the past few years. <shrugs>
United, American, Delta, and Alaska have killed more people on a single flight than Southwest has since their startup in 1971. As far as I can tell, Allegiant has had more incidents this year alone than WN has the past few years.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:23 pm

SWA inspection of window frame rivets was flagged in 2007. N713SW was delivered in 1998.

Southwest failed to complete specific required maintenance involving rivets around window frames of 55 of its aircraft. Exacerbating the problem, Southwest flew six of the jets for two weeks after notifying the FAA of the maintenance lapse, indicating they had resolved the problem, even though they hadn’t.

FAA managers, according to the special counsel, failed to ensure that Southwest ever eventually completed the maintenance work.
Wall Street Journal
Old May 2, 2018, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gig103
Delta has a facility in Singapore, I've read on FT.
True. PMNW did their A330 heavy maintenance in Singapore. IIRC PMNW and/or DL have had interior mods done in Singapore too.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LegalTender
SWA inspection of window frame rivets was flagged in 2007. N713SW was delivered in 1998.

Wall Street Journal
That article is marked as "Updated, March 19, 2010." It was a long time ago.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That article is marked as "Updated, March 19, 2010." It was a long time ago.
How recent an inattention would you consider instructional?
Proudelitist likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Let me put it this way.

WN is still one of the safest airlines in the U.S. based on mortality rate. However, WN is also one of the worst airlines in term of maintenance.

At this moment, I would say these incidents seem not related. But it could eventually relate to its culture of non-maintenance.

IMHO - sooner or later, WN will have to ground its fleet to make-up maintenance. It is a matter of when.
LegalTender likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCP2016
United, American, Delta, and Alaska have killed more people on a single flight than Southwest has since their startup in 1971. As far as I can tell, Allegiant has had more incidents this year alone than WN has the past few years.
And I wouldn't fly Allegiant right now. (And wouldn't fly them even if proved extraordinarily safe because of seat pitch and other ULCC issues.) But UA hasn't had a fatality of their own fault since 1991.

We're in an era now where airline travel is so incredibly safe that even a single fatality is held up as a very rare - and in most cases preventable - event. So yes, it's worrisome when WN has the series of incidents it's had over the past few years, involving cabin integrity at altitude.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:42 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by nsx
Oh, joy! Although the slight increase in seat width would be nice.

I wonder if flat displays could take the place of windows.
Emirates virtual windows
Old May 3, 2018, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by honores41
All yours my friend. Also take a good parachute with you.
What would happen if you tried to board a commercial aircraft with a fully packed and ready parachute on your back?

That would be weird to see.
Old May 3, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Hope they give some compensation to passengers on flight 1890 CLE-MDW for canceling this flight at the last minunte to use the aircraft to resume the diverted flight to EWR.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti

What would happen if you tried to board a commercial aircraft with a fully packed and ready parachute on your back?

That would be weird to see.
LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.