Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Flight Diverted With A Cracked Window!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Flight Diverted With A Cracked Window!

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Heavy maintenance being done outside of the US is not uncommon for american carriers. It's ignorant to think WN is the only one offshoring some of their maintenance. A few examples:

-AA spent $100m on a maintenance center in Brazil, also utilizes China and Mexico.
-JetBlue goes to El Salvador
-United goes to HK/Singapore for widebodies
Old May 2, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ursine1
Lower fares, at least temporarily, coming soon?
Booooooy I hate to agree with this, but I've got an upcoming trip to FL planned for this Summer, so ....
Old May 2, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1
Statistically, Southwest is overdue.

Lower fares, at least temporarily, coming soon?
I bet Warren Buffett is hoping for a drop in the stock price. Then he’ll buy more.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
OTOH... one incident is an anecdote; two incidents are a concern.
Or maybe: "No 'news' organization paid any attention to what's probably not all that uncommon" until after what happened last week. I'd be willing to bet $$ that if 1380 hadn't happened nobody outside of those aboard and WN management would have heard of this incident.

Yeah, OP, stay off WN- they're *crashtastic*!!!!111!!!!
Yellowjj likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by honores41
I have 5 flights with SW during next 2 months and I am thinking seriously in changing them.
Drama much?
Old May 2, 2018, 12:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Windows do crack occasionally. More common in the cockpit, but it does happen nonetheless.
They do, what I meant is, they don’t “just” crack. There is always a cause.
Cockpit windows are more common and susceptible because of the nature of the forces on the window, bird strikes, hail, and other airborne objects generally hit from the front and not the side.

The side window could be cracked by foreign debris or simply the fuselage working on pressure changes. That would also cause metal fatigue. Both items are important to be investigated as it is clear this is not supposed to happen at all. Looking at the picture it could be impact. It of course that is speculation at this point. If it is indeed impact it is vital to understand what that side force impact was. Let’s hope it is not another part of the aircraft that came off in flight.

Globalist

Old May 2, 2018, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Drama much?
More than drama, common sense..............I can fly with different ones and I prefer wait and see what is going on with SW
Old May 2, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: WN A-List
If it were up to us aerospace engineers, planes wouldn't even have windows...
Old May 2, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by honores41
common sense
... ain't common.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
OTOH...one incident is an anecdote; two incidents are a concern.
In the most raw form, sure, but the scenarios are completely different.. There's a big difference between a pax window cracking just all on its own, and a pax window cracking because a big chunk of departing engine cowling hit it.

People seldom realize this, but oddball stuff happens every day in the airline world. Flight occasionally blow a tire on takeoff or landing. Flights abort takeoffs, or go missed approach when landing. Earlier than normal landings are made for pax misconduct issues. None of the previous items are necessarily true emergencies, and I see the media reported that they made an emergency landing (even though no emergency was declared by the crew)..

After a major event (like 1380), the media's tendency is to report on anything remotely out of the ordinary, with a link (justified or not) to the previous major event.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:42 pm

“My sense is that it's very rare for a cabin window to have that issue,” said Richard Healing, former National Transportation Safety Board member who now leads Air Safety Engineering.
Oddball stuff.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by aaronp84
Heavy maintenance being done outside of the US is not uncommon for american carriers. It's ignorant to think WN is the only one offshoring some of their maintenance. A few examples:

-AA spent $100m on a maintenance center in Brazil, also utilizes China and Mexico.
-JetBlue goes to El Salvador
-United goes to HK/Singapore for widebodies
Delta has a facility in Singapore, I've read on FT.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Considering how many people keep the shade closed, this had good odds of going un-noticed during the flight! Glad someone saw it and spoke up
Old May 2, 2018, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I think Allegiant might be more your speed OP, although instead of diverting somewhere alive you'll probably end up in pieces on some field in Kentucky.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by poximex
If it were up to us aerospace engineers, planes wouldn't even have windows...
Just think of the fuel savings without the extra weight for the window and the re-enforcing for the window! Then without the preset window spacing seating could be brought even closer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.