Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest tickets at airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Southwest tickets at airport

Did anyone try purchasing southwest tickets at airport? did you notice any price difference?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Sometimes a close-in WGA fare is available. I would assume those fares are not available at the airport. I am quite certain that anytime and BS fares are no different at the airport.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Hard to imagine actually walking up to a counter to buy a ticket. I guess it must still happen in certain situations.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:29 pm

I moved from Vegas to San Francisco about 9 years ago. At the time I would fly back and forth to see my girlfriend that was still in Vegas. Often with no advance planning, or even with any sort of plan at all. In the mornings on her way to work, I’d have her drop me off at Mandely Bay or MGM where I would play blackjack until I had enough money for a ticket home and there was a flight leaving soon. 10 minute taxi ride to the airport, buy a ticket with cash, get on the plane, and home 2-3 hours after she dropped me off.

I did that about 10 times over the course of 6 months.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: HH Silver
I have tried last minute walking up to the counter during an emergency, where I had just landed and needed to return. Same price as online.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I bought one at the gate during a Delta meltdown. Same price. Got C48. Haha
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't know of any carrier, certainly not WN, which sells tickets at a premium at the airport. WN does not charge ticketing fees for in-person vs. web purchases either.

Why not tell us the specific issue?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
Data point: In March, I tried to buy a ticket at the gate about 30 minutes before departure for a flight that was delayed. (My original flight on another airline was even more severely delayed). The gate agent told me she couldn’t sell me the ticket and suggested that I buy a ticket for ANY flight that day, check in, and she’ll re-process it for that particular flight (and collect any change in fare). I bought the cheapest WGA fare for that day for that route, and that worked out just fine.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I moved from Vegas to San Francisco about 9 years ago. At the time I would fly back and forth to see my girlfriend that was still in Vegas. Often with no advance planning, or even with any sort of plan at all. In the mornings on her way to work, I’d have her drop me off at Mandely Bay or MGM where I would play blackjack until I had enough money for a ticket home and there was a flight leaving soon. 10 minute taxi ride to the airport, buy a ticket with cash, get on the plane, and home 2-3 hours after she dropped me off.

I did that about 10 times over the course of 6 months.
What did you do on the days where you lost?

I don't know a single person who has ever lost money in Vegas. It's enough to make me wonder whether that Intro to Probability class was rubbish.
joshua362 likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by gusg

I don't know a single person who has ever lost money in Vegas. It's enough to make me wonder whether that Intro to Probability class was rubbish.
Intro to Probability was sound, but you might have done well to have taken an intro to social psychology.

Sounds like a desirability bias -- people report information that's positive and decline to report information that's negative.

​​​​​​​In short - you likely know many people who have lost money in Vegas, but none of them have ever told you about it!
joshua362 likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I moved from Vegas to San Francisco about 9 years ago. At the time I would fly back and forth to see my girlfriend that was still in Vegas.
The important question:

Did you marry her?
Old May 3, 2018, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by gusg

credit Cards. Also at the counter. But my story is better if you let me win every time.
joshua362 likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks

The important question:

Did you marry her?

Nope. Turns out she was the crazy. Never marry the crazy.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

Nope. Turns out she was the crazy. Never marry the crazy.
Or do other things with them. Nope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.