FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Can a CP fly if the base ticket no shows? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1906182-can-cp-fly-if-base-ticket-no-shows.html)

Okcmaestro Apr 26, 2018 7:21 am

Can a CP fly if the base ticket no shows?

I am flying on as my wife's companion. If her plans change and she buys another ticket on a different day, will I be able to fly if we do not cancel her original ticket that my CP is attached to?
Thanks!

maquez Apr 26, 2018 7:26 am

If the Companion Pass holder is not on the plane, the Companion cannot fly for free and will be removed from the flight.

t2846834 Apr 26, 2018 8:30 am

That's a negative, ghost rider. As per WN Companion Pass rules: "If the Companion is not traveling with the Member, the Companion will be required to pay for his/her ticket."

Okcmaestro Apr 26, 2018 8:36 am

Just to clarify, I was not going to cancel the original ticket so the money paid for the original ticket will still be paid, they just would not be on the flight.

t2846834 Apr 26, 2018 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Okcmaestro (Post 29685936)
Just to clarify, I was not going to cancel the original ticket so the money paid for the original ticket will still be paid, they just would not be on the flight.

Still doesn't change anything. You won't be able to fly as per WN Companion pass rules:

Both the Member and the Companion must be booked on the same flights and dates. If the Member’s ticket is cancelled, the Companion’s ticket will also be cancelled. If the Member changes his/her ticket, the Member must also change the Companion’s ticket to match the Member’s ticket changes or the Companion’s ticket will be cancelled. If the Companion is not traveling with the Member, the Companion will be required to pay for his/her ticket. The Member and the Companion must check in together

mdword Apr 26, 2018 8:47 am

It doesn't matter, they're very strict about companions only getting the free ticket when traveling with the passholder.

I believe that if the companion is on the plane and the passholder isn't (a companion boarding pass is scanned and the passholder's isn't), they double check to make sure they didn't miss the passholder and then remove the companion.

Often1 Apr 26, 2018 9:06 am

The contract you and WN entered could not be more clear. It does not matter whether you forfeit the value of your ticket. You must "travel with". But, just to be clear, your Companion's ticket will not be cancelled. Rather, the Companion will be required to pay the then prevailing cash / RR price for a ticket.

If the Companion is not traveling with the Member, the Companion will be required to pay for his/her ticket. The Member and the Companion must check in together

skywardhunter Apr 26, 2018 9:08 am

The clue is in the name.... companion

smmrfld Apr 26, 2018 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29686054)
Companion will be required to pay the then prevailing cash / RR price

And if the flight crew believes that sorting out the mess and processing payment will lead to an unacceptable delay, the Companion won’t go out on that flight at all - paid or not.

toomanybooks Apr 26, 2018 1:11 pm

If a “Companion” could travel without the CP holder, I could see a gigantic business opportunity.

So no, of course not.

NoStressHere Apr 26, 2018 9:03 pm

Here is the "be real careful" part of this whole thing. This is all against rules and laws, but...

You need YOUR boarding pass to get through security.

You need ALMOST ANY boarding pass to get on the plane.

So, if you were able to board with HER boarding pass, you could then log in and cancel your ticket,even though it was free.

smmrfld Apr 26, 2018 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 29688342)
Here is the "be real careful" part of this whole thing. This is all against rules and laws, but...

You need YOUR boarding pass to get through security.

You need ALMOST ANY boarding pass to get on the plane.

So, if you were able to board with HER boarding pass, you could then log in and cancel your ticket,even though it was free.

it’s illegal and just plain dumb. So why even post it?

TortillaChip Apr 26, 2018 9:40 pm

Scenario: Companion boards first, CP holder never boards. There is no way to "remove" the companion from the flight as there are no assigned seats. What happens then?

nsx Apr 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by TortillaChip (Post 29688434)
Scenario: Companion boards first, CP holder never boards. There is no way to "remove" the companion from the flight as there are no assigned seats. What happens then?

Please try it and report your results. It's not as if Southwest could ask every passenger for an ID, then remove the companion and cancel the CP holder's Rapid Rewards account and confiscate all his points, right?

smmrfld Apr 26, 2018 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by TortillaChip (Post 29688434)

if this post is serious, which I doubt, may I suggest that modern aircraft have PA systems that allow for paging of PAX? And if said PAX doesn’t answer the page (typically by ringing the call button), I can only imagine what will ensue for the PAX and the CP holder.