Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
All reports I heard and/or read said oxygen masks dropped a few (maybe 10) seconds before the explosion.
Most people's perception of time goes out the window when put under a stressful/emergency situation. Frequently hear from emergency services workers being accused of taking 10+ minutes to get to a cardiac arrest call and then you check the report and vehicle GPS data to see it took 3 minutes. It's definitely possible the timeline is being misreported, but perhaps the flight data recorder could clarify that? Alternatively debris could have punctured the window, making a small enough compromise to shift cabin pressure enough for mask deployment. As an increased outward pressure then focused on the compromised point, it could over the next few seconds build up forces on the window, causing full failure of the window, leading it to blow out and now making a big enough hole for a rapid decompression event.

And apparently were worn the wrong way be pretty much all that were documented in photos. I for one didn't see a single nose covered But apparently it got the job done. I hope at least pilots did it right.
I don't think the pilots wear the same oxygen masks that are being deployed in the main cabin
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by kylelenk
This is all based on anecdotal observations, but I've always felt that climb out on WN seems to be much more intense than on other carriers (which i would imagine are harder on the engines). Like I noticeably feel like i'm being sucked back into my seat with greater force than I do on DL or UA. Has anyone else felt this?
Could this be due to WN flying out of smaller secondary airports? In Chicago, for example, ORD would presumably have more airspace and MDW has to work around what is needed for the heavy and jumbo jets that need more space to safely operate to ORD. (This is only a logical thought of mine, not a certain fact.)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
I hope the FAA go after Southwest
In opposing the proposed FAA directive, Southwest said that it could no longer track the individual turbine blades on CFM56 engines. It somehow had interspersed them across the fleet. The airline said it would need more than 18 months to complete ultrasound inspections because of the tracking irregularity.

Now, after 1380, Southwest pledges to complete all ultrasound inspections in 30 days. They can do that without disrupting routes and schedules? How??

The turbine blades, per former FAA inspector general Mary Schiavio, are not interchangeable. They must be replaced by the manufacturer number. There are cooling chambers within the turbine blades. It's not just a hunk of titanium.

https://milesobrien.com/aviation-and...-been-avoided/
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:02 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Zmapper

In Chicago, for example, ORD would presumably have more airspace and MDW has to work around what is needed for the heavy and jumbo jets that need more space to safely operate to ORD. (This is only a logical thought of mine, not a certain fact.)
I was under the impression that it is all combined airspace for the greater metropolitan area such as EWR, JFK and LGA. Even BWI would be impacted by WAS airports, or did I not understand this correctly?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
I was under the impression that it is all combined airspace for the greater metropolitan area such as EWR, JFK and LGA. Even BWI would be impacted by WAS airports, or did I not understand this correctly?
You are correct.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It reminds me of the priorities aviate, navigate, communicate.
(... not to mention "skin", "tin", "ticket".)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
This is all based on anecdotal observations, but I've always felt that climb out on WN seems to be much more intense than on other carriers (which i would imagine are harder on the engines). Like I noticeably feel like i'm being sucked back into my seat with greater force than I do on DL or UA. Has anyone else felt this?
Much more a factor of airport and runway than airline. Everything out of DEN is smooth and easy on takeoff because the plane is taking off on a runway of 10,000 feet or more and there is nothing but wheat and cows for miles around the runways.

In airports like MDW, LGA, BUR, SNA, and so on, you have much shorter runways, with tall buildings much closer and much more density. So takeoffs are faster, with more urgency to get up in the air and clear everything.

Think about which airports you fly out of and see if this isn't actually what you're perceiving as airline-specific.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I would have thought that the engine disintegration, shrapnel impact, and decompression would be nearly simultaneous. But here she says the masks came down and apparently at least a few seconds later there was an explosion.
From looking at the NTSB video I linked earlier, these admittedly non-NTSB eyes are not completely convinced at this point that the errant blade hit the window, per se. The window that's missing is significantly aft along the fuselage from the blade's normal rotational plane of the fan disk, and even with the air loads associated with, say, 300 kts of aircraft speed, could it still strike the window? Or did the departing blade commence the disintegration of the engine cowling, with a larger chunk of cowling hitting the window? If the comments regarding about a 10 second lag between the decompression and the big boom are correct, was the window only cracked (at first) from debris impact perhaps initiating s "slow" decompression event (for all of about 10 seconds) before the window failed completely, with the passenger partially going out of the aircraft?

NTSB will find the actual answers, but it will take some time...
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and steved5480 like this.

Last edited by OPNLguy; Apr 20, 2018 at 9:54 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Every airplane has 2 demonstrated airspeeds that produce the best rate of climb (Vy) and best angle of climb (Vx).

Vy is generally always used to gain the most altitude in the shortest time with the thought being to get as high as quickly possible in case of an emergency such as losing an engine, you have more time and altitude to deal with it before returning to earth.

Take off is alway at full engine power.

DEN is an anomaly due to its mile high altitude hence the longer runways & takeoff rolls and reduced climbing performance but the airspeeds are the same. Wheat & cows have little to do it except maybe to provide greater cushions for traffic separation rather than having to worry about buildings and other obstacles.

In other words, its just your perception.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Money. The reason is money.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by 84fiero
US 1549 ("Miracle on the Hudson"), J7 592, AS 261
Within the technicality of using the actual word "emergency" your citations appear to be correct. However, it should be noted that US 1549 declared "Mayday" and J7 592 also said "Mayday" (although, if I understand the transcript, in the stress of the situation they may not have pressed the "transmit" button when they declared "Mayday"). As described in another message, above, declaring "Mayday" is a "declaration of emergency" by the flight crew. AS 261 is an odd one (reading the transcript is very stressful) because they spent more time arguing with their company representatives than they did talking to ATC.

So, by my count, we have 1 example of not "declaring emergency", plus the recent Southwest incident. But that is before we have the CVR transcript - maybe we will learn that Southwest did declare an emergency (and it just wasn't captured on the recording linked above) or perhaps we will learn that they made the same mistake as J7 592, and said the word "Mayday" or "Emergency" but forgot to push the button to transmit - or maybe, under the stress of the moment, they did a great job of handling the flight but, due to stress, omitted a formal declaration of emergency. (The transcript of US 1549 reminded me that the emergency checklist might have included an instruction to declare emergency).
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Path and climb are determined by Air Traffic Control.
But what effect they have on a passenger can vary with the plane type. And of course, this can all only be compared at the same airport with airplanes using the same runway.

So, kylelenk, were you comparing 737s on DL or UA (or other plane types), and were comparing WN ascents at the same airport as the DL or UA ascents?

What I've felt is that things like ascent feel different on a 320 vs a 757 vs a 737, but WN only flies that latter, while I'm very likely to be on one of the former on one of the legacies domestically (AA/DL/UA), if I'm not on an E175 which is yet another ball of wax.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by joshua362
Every airplane has 2 demonstrated airspeeds that produce the best rate of climb (Vy) and best angle of climb (Vx).

Vy is generally always used to gain the most altitude in the shortest time with the thought being to get as high as quickly possible in case of an emergency such as losing an engine, you have more time and altitude to deal with it before returning to earth.

DEN is an anomaly due to its mile high altitude hence the longer runways & takeoff rolls and reduced climbing performance but the airspeeds are the same. Wheat & cows have little to do it except maybe to provide greater cushions for traffic separation rather than having to worry about buildings and other obstacles.

I'll buy most of that. It still doesn't take into account runway length and the situations where a plane will go to full throttle while standing on the brakes before commencing the takeoff roll, vs. the more normal moving to full throttle and having the plane lumber from 0-60 in several seconds.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by joshua362

Takeoff is rarely at full power and climbout is always at or above V2 (engine out speed) until you start cleaning up the flaps.
the majority of times your takeoff is done at a reduced power setting in order to preserve engine life (aka cost) and reduce the possibility of a catastrophic engine failure (engines are more likely to fail catastrophically at full power)
There are certain circumstances where MAX power is used for takeoff...gusty winds/ wind shear conditions; if anti ice is applied etc, or if the takeoff performance will not allow you to accomplish a reduced takeoff setting (i.e. short runway, heavy plane etc)

A plane flying from Midway to STL might be able to accomplish a reduced takeoff, but a plane flying from Midway to LAX may have to do a max takeoff due to heavier fuel loads and/or cargo.

Edit: your speeds are not always the same: they are weight dependent.
DenverBrian and tusphotog like this.

Last edited by Ditka; Apr 19, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Airline statements on inspections of the CFM56-7B engine/737 fan blades

NYT:
Southwest and several other carriers raised objections [to making the recommendation for ultrasonic inspections of fan blades mandatory on the 737]. Southwest pushed back against CFM's request for a 12-month deadline, and American Airlines asked for even more time — 20 months.

[..] A Delta Air Lines spokesman said that airline had done all the necessary inspections, but he didn't know how many planes that involved. American Airlines said it has inspected blades on the oldest affected engines, and United Airlines said it has started inspecting its 737s.
DFW NBC:
American said they have 304 Boeing 737-800s in their fleet, all operating with the CFM56-7B engine -- the same engine that failed on the Southwest flight.

[...] American added that they began inspecting the CFM56 engines after a notice of proposed rule-making (NPRM) was published in August 2017.

"American Airlines voluntarily began inspections of CFM56-7B fan blades under the guidance proposed in the NPRM. We continue to closely monitor the investigation being led by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)," the airline said Thursday.
AJC:
Delta Air Lines said it is adding more inspections of those engines in its fleet.

Atlanta-based Delta’s entire Boeing 737 fleet has the same type of engines that were in the Southwest plane that blew an engine Tuesday.

[...] Delta said it is also adding ultrasonic inspections of the same engines on its fleet of about 185 Boeing 737s.

“Delta has completed the inspections specified by the manufacturer and has launched additional inspections beyond those recommendations,” said Delta spokesman Brian Kruse. “We’ll complete inspections in advance of the deadline of any directives [to be] issued by the FAA.”
Reuters:
Korean Air Lines Co Ltd said it planned to carry out voluntary inspections of engines used on its entire 737 fleet by November. About 20-30 percent of its 35 Boeing 737 jets use the same type of fan blade as the one on the Southwest jet.Japan Airlines said two 737 jets in its fleet had engines with affected fan blades and inspections were due to be completed on Wednesday.
Ireland's Ryanair, Europe's largest 737 operator, said fewer than 70 of its 440 planes were fitted with identical CFM56-7B engines and that all had been inspected.In Canada, WestJet Airlines said it planned to accelerate inspections of certain fan blades, while in Dubai, budget carrier flydubai said it had implemented the European directive ahead of the deadline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.