Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:45 am

Yes there are many more engine failures than you are made aware of. We were on a flight from PHL to BNA and the 737 starboard engine made a loud boom and had flames trailing 25 - 50 ' out from under the wing then went to sparks. We reported it to the flight attendant very scary............

The incident today along with the one last October were CFM56 engines.

See the report in the aeroinside - https://www.aeroinside.com/item/1035...down-in-flight

In this case lucky the wing remained on the plane!!!!!

Last edited by pond fisher; Apr 17, 2018 at 11:56 am Reason: add
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by apodo77

Facebook video is scary.
Nice to see people have their priorities straight in an emergency.

If you have time to try to get your 15min of fame, it can't be THAT much of an emergency or scary.
SCGustafson and bchandler02 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:53 am

Facebook video is scary.
I like the guy in video still working on his laptop. Now that is a guy with work/life balance issues
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Looks like some damage on the leading edges of the wing. I wonder if a fuel tank got punctured.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by eng3

If you have time to try to get your 15min of fame, it can't be THAT much of an emergency or scary.
I'm apparently in the minority, but I don't care that someone wants to do that. I'd much rather do that then sit in my chair without doing anything and having a million different thoughts go through my head. At least this might help you focus on something else. Plus, I'm sure a lot of people have always wondered what it's really like to be in a scary situation like that - this provides a unique insight into it.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pond fisher
Yes there are many more engine failures than you are made aware of. We were on a flight from PHL to BNA and the 737 starboard engine made a loud boom and had flames trailing 25 - 50 ' out from under the wing then went to sparks. We reported it to the flight attendant very scary............

See the report in the aeroinside - https://www.aeroinside.com/item/1035...down-in-flight

In this case lucky the wing remained on the plane!!!!!
Bit of a stretch.......
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:21 pm

And a CFM56 on the same side a year before (MSY-MCO / WN 3472).

Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:24 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MrMan
I like the guy in video still working on his laptop.
Maybe he was posting it to FlyerTalk!

tusphotog and steved5480 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Originally Posted by MrMan
I like the guy in video still working on his laptop. Now that is a guy with work/life balance issues
At least the rapid decompression didn't take out the WiFi...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by eng3

I actually think this would be beneficial. I've always figured if I was ever in some kind of flight emergency, once secured (oxygen mask, etc) and not much else I could do, I'd start recording or streaming with the potential that investigators, etc, can gain some insight into what happens during such emergencies. Any records saved could be useful, noises and sounds from inside the plane, how situations are handled by the FA's and how the pax are behaving, etc.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Wow! I cannot not believe this! This aircraft is taken out of service.

Originally Posted by seawolf
Now this is genuinely scary if you sat next to that window.
Yes, if you sit in exit row. You will sucked it out of aircraft. Here's a pics.

Facebook video is scary.
omg!!! That's real scare.

You can see the engines. It got totally destroyed.

Here's a link:

Southwest Airlines plane's engine explodes; passenger 'partially sucked out' of window | Fox News
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LegalTender
And a CFM56 on the same side a year before (MSY-MCO / WN 3472).
That one got diverted to Pensacola and the plane was on the ground there for months. (You could see its place away from the terminal from a nearby highway) I think was declared an insurance loss in the end rather than trying to repair it.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
I think was declared an insurance loss in the end rather than trying to repair it.
N766SW is flying AUS-SAN today, as we speak:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N766SW

CFM56 uncontained engine failure and cabin depressurization obviously was not a "one-off" situation.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes there are many more engine failures than you are made aware of.
I think the difference here is an uncontained engine failure, when mechanical parts/debris exit the structure of the engine, sometimes in all directions. It can be much, much more serious. (And fortunately in this instance it wasn't).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Snippet of ATC as the aircraft was on a downwind on KPHL Approach (N), for more go to liveatc.net go to archives and find the 1500-1530Z slot and KPHL Approach (N) and jump to about 12 mins in:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s16GneIj5HSD
iloveipods likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.