FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Cancel SW Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1904225-cancel-sw-card.html)

Caribgrl Apr 16, 2018 11:01 am

Cancel SW Card

So I got this card back in August last year. Looking to cancel this card. But I don't want to get on Chase's bad side. Especially that I just got the CIC a couple weeks ago. My other cards within 12 months are CFU IHG & AMEX. What's the best way to go about this? I'm a bit concerned about shutdowns...Thanks for any info

toomanybooks Apr 16, 2018 12:51 pm

From what I can tell, Chase is starting to look much more carefully at its cardholders and what value they bring to the deal.

Saw a recent report that someone applied for a new card and Chase cancelled ALL his other existing cards and accounts.

I consider my relationship with Chase to be extremely valuable, and I would never cancel a card in the first year. I would do everything I could to stay off their radar. I do not even transfer URs to my wife. Never deposit MOs. Never pay CC bill with cash or MOs. Etc.

Caribgrl Apr 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Not sure how much it would matter but I would definitely wait until a full year before cancelling.

sdsearch Apr 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Caribgrl (Post 29647842)
Not sure how much it would matter but I would definitely wait until a full year before cancelling.

Also, use your card several times over the course of that year. You don't want to leave a trail showing you put the card into a drawer once you were done with the minimum spend requirement for the signup bonus and then you cancelled after a year. You just want to make it look like the card didn't work out for you in the long run, but that you made a try at it.

They don't have to big purchases. I'd say purchases in several billing periods over the year, of stuff which you can't get any category bonus on with any other card anyway (or of Southwest flights, if you buy those, or even just the fees on Southwest rewards flights if you reserve those), would look the best for the least lost (in terms of earnings on other cards).

Caribgrl Apr 16, 2018 7:43 pm

^Good idea. Thanks

rsteinmetz70112 Apr 16, 2018 8:53 pm

I basically only use mine to buy tickets on Southwest which I generally pay off within a week. I get double points, no interest charges and it looks good to Chase.

bbbb Apr 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Just called to cancel and they offered to wave the AF. I did not use the card much in the last year.

flyer4512 Apr 23, 2018 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by bbbb (Post 29676478)
Just called to cancel and they offered to wave the AF. I did not use the card much in the last year.

I have never heard of Chase waiving the AF on a WN card, would you still get the points, is so keep it.

bbbb Apr 23, 2018 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 29676516)
I have never heard of Chase waiving the AF on a WN card, would you still get the points, is so keep it.

I didn't ask because they owed me $1000 that I had been trying to get back from the CSR travel department for almost a year and I was not happy with Chase.

flyer4512 Apr 23, 2018 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by bbbb (Post 29676857)
I didn't ask because they owed me $1000 that I had been trying to get back from the CSR travel department for almost a year and I was not happy with Chase.

Maybe that's why the offered to waive the AF. If there was a way to get the AF waived and still get the anniversary points it would be common knowledge on this forum. I know some get the points and then cancel to avoid the AF or get it refunded but IMO that's a risky game to play.

birdiedouble Apr 24, 2018 6:17 am

I called to cancel my Chase SW Business card about a month ago. They also offered to waive the annual fee for me, but I decided to go ahead and cancel it as I also have both Personal cards.

nineworldseries Apr 24, 2018 8:27 am

I was offered a $100 statement credit to keep the card a month or so ago, So yes, I did get the points and no AF.

Cledaybuck Apr 24, 2018 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries (Post 29678116)
I was offered a $100 statement credit to keep the card a month or so ago, So yes, I did get the points and no AF.

I got the same thing when I called to cancel a little over a year ago. When I called this year, I wasn't offered anything and cancelled the card.

Fergus90 Apr 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Applied for Chase Ink biz cash card. Chase called and said too many biz cards but I could close SW biz card and transfer 5K credit line. I just opened it in Nov 2017, earned my Companion Pass in Feb 2018. Will closing my SW CC biz effect my Pass by closing so soon? Or my chances of getting another in the future? (Less then 6 months)

NoStressHere Apr 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Fergus90 (Post 29684093)
Applied for Chase Ink biz cash card. Chase called and said too many biz cards but I could close SW biz card and transfer 5K credit line. I just opened it in Nov 2017, earned my Companion Pass in Feb 2018. Will closing my SW CC biz effect my Pass by closing so soon? Or my chances of getting another in the future? (Less then 6 months)

No - the points already went to Southwest.

But - if concerned, ask if you can keep a small credit line on that card - maybe even $500 or $1000