Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Orlando (MCO) Express Bag Drop Off--SouthWest--Long lines due to construction?

Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat. Medallion

What's going on with the express baggage drop off with Southwest at the Orlando MCO airport?
I was in Orlando with my brother and his family and they flew in and out on Southwest.
On the way home, they checked in online and used Express Bag Drop which was supposed to save time.
There seemed to be some construction going on, but once they printed out the luggage tags, they were directed the line for "express bag drop" which stretched over the entire length of the Southwest counters and took them over thirty minutes just to drop their bags after getting the stickers.

To make things worse, someone who was in line had crapped their pants, and there was a line of diarrhea stretching the length of line and then from the express bag drop to the bathrooms by Starbucks. The baggage handlers were complaining about it, but no one seemed to be cleaning it up.

Is this the typical experience for express bag drop? Was it due to Spring Break or the construction in the area?

I flew and out on Delta since I booked later and needed to use miles. I dropped them off on the A side, took our rental car back to the B side Hertz, checked my bag with Delta (SkyPriorityLine) on the B side and then hoofed it back over the A side to meet up with them and they still were only halfway through the line.

Last edited by universitylad; Apr 8, 2018 at 7:03 pm
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by universitylad
Is this the typical experience for express bag drop?
The long line or the diarrhea? LOL!
steved5480 and universitylad like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat. Medallion
Originally Posted by NextTrip
The long line or the diarrhea? LOL!
I was mainly asking about the long line-----it's supposed to be an express drop. The diarrhea just added to the situation.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:58 pm

I'll be there in a week, I sure hope the brown line is cleaned up by then!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Phanto
I'll be there in a week, I sure hope the brown line is cleaned up by then!
Keep us posted!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
MCO is just a horrible airport in general.
steved5480 and universitylad like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I don't see how this is "express" is a time saver if you still have to show ID and presumably have a human check the weight. All they've done is transferred the tagging process to customer with likely the same backlog where a frequent WN flyer zips through it and the rest of the populace stares at the empty kiosk and struggles through the screens. Sounds like extra work to me.
ryw likes this.

Last edited by joshua362; Apr 10, 2018 at 4:52 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
MCOs check in area is a disaster right now for DL and WN. Both check in areas have been torn up and under construction for 1 1/2 years now. They finally finished down on the ends were AA/B6/and UA are but are working there way down towards WN and DL. I have no idea why the lines were long to drop the bags off but not surprised due to the number of very infrequent flyers WN sees at MCO.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
MCOs check in area is a disaster right now for DL and WN. Both check in areas have been torn up and under construction for 1 1/2 years now. They finally finished down on the ends were AA/B6/and UA are but are working there way down towards WN and DL. I have no idea why the lines were long to drop the bags off but not surprised due to the number of very infrequent flyers WN sees at MCO.
All good if you don't check a bag! I suppose that may be difficult with a family though..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.