Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How did you use your SW companion pass? Did it worth it?

How did you use your SW companion pass? Did it worth it?

Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Hmmmm ... I've always been 5-10 segments short of CP every year, but don't really miss it 'cause I don't fly in the method the CP would be useful for (I tend to meet any potential companion at the destination and leave before them). I'm currently 18 segments away, and have 12 planned or booked.

I'd go for CP (lots of $49/$59 fares out there today for December travel) if it meant I could get "Super A-List Preferred" in any way, though. Will I be higher than the other AL+s on the standby list? Is there anything that being CP would get me vs. just AL+ as a single traveler?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
CP Worth it For Me

Got CP on flights. Did not need help from the credit card. Its been 100% worth it for me. Id say that my wife flew 10 flights with me this year. Some were long hauls like MHT-LAS, while others were mid-range (MCO, DAL, BNA). As for street value, Id say $2000-$2500.

What makes it easier now is that the kids are in college and we have a bit more freedom of movement.

PLUS... youre not burining points on the flights. So, youve got $$$ in the bank.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:06 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Hmmmm ... I've always been 5-10 segments short of CP every year, but don't really miss it 'cause I don't fly in the method the CP would be useful for (I tend to meet any potential companion at the destination and leave before them). I'm currently 18 segments away, and have 12 planned or booked.

I'd go for CP (lots of $49/$59 fares out there today for December travel) if it meant I could get "Super A-List Preferred" in any way, though. Will I be higher than the other AL+s on the standby list? Is there anything that being CP would get me vs. just AL+ as a single traveler?
in short, no.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
We're into our 3rd year of CP

2016 - targeted offer 3 (or 5?) round trips for CP qualification. Diverted several of my shorter work trips from UA and AS (SFO/SJC to LAS/LAX/BUR/SEA/PDX) to Southwest. Was not much of a SWA flier so had no immediate plans to use CP. Seemed like a low bar to get CP and it's always good to have options! Ended up with additional SJC/LAS/SJC trips in Oct and Dec on $29/$39 fares for fun. Without CP I would not have booked them on Southwest. You could say we got $100 value for the CP ticket for trips. Then again we would not have "splurged" on the sale fares without CP

2017 - targeted offer 3 round trips for A-List. Did the 3 qualification trips but still sticking to AS for upgrades and MVPG elite requal. Unexpected death of a family member meant booking last minute flights SFO/SJC-BOS @ $600 x 2 adults x roundtrip. Flying Southwest with CP meant $1200 actual savings in my pocket versus over UA for 2 adults. Sidenote: I HATE the LUV Seat in exit row.. Hubbie loves it.

2018 - After AS MVPG requal, all trips in the past 2 months have been booked on Southwest Anytime fares just squeaking by to requalify for A-List in 2019. Under 5/24 so got the Chase credit cards with min spend hitting in Jan 2018 to requalify for CP till end of 2019. YTD savings with CP is about $3000 so far.

UA is my preferred airline for international. AS is still my preferred airline for all west coast travel. That being said I would not rule out Southwest completely. Like other AS flyers I will wait and see in 2019 whether our corporate travel (thru Concur) will skip or include the new basic economy fares. Being able to change and cancel with penalty is a "must have" feature.

Last edited by lainys; Nov 28, 2018 at 10:59 pm Reason: spelling
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Did it for 2018. Used it for long and shorter domestic flights. Yes, Companion Pass was worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.