What's your favorite SWA city and why?

Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
What's your favorite SWA city and why?

What's your favorite SWA city? Why? It could be any city and for any reason.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:52 am

Favorite city as a whole, where SWA happens to fly? Or favorite airport or SWA section of the airport?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Seat13c
What's your favorite SWA city? Why? It could be any city and for any reason.
You first.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
If this is about airports, my favorite would be DAL. I like DAL because it’s a nice small airport that’s easy in and out and is WNs home. My least favorite would have to go to the old crappy 1950’s DCA Terminal A that WN uses.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312
Favorite city as a whole, where SWA happens to fly? Or favorite airport or SWA section of the airport?
I was orginally thinking airport and/or SWA section of the airport. But it could be either.

Originally Posted by LegalTender
You first.
I love SWA's E-gates in STL. With exception of the seldom flight out of the 30's, all the gates close to security. Connections are a breeze (expect if you are extremely unlucky to be connection from E4 to E38) and plenty of connection options too. Plus plenty of decent food options. Also, STL has very few irreg ops (weather and/or congestion) compared to other major operations like ATL, MDW, NYC, and LAX,

As far as my favorite SWA city not related to the city would probably would be SAN. 99% of the time the weather is perfect, Endless great places to eat, and always something fun to do or see.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
If this is about airports, my favorite would be DAL. I like DAL because it’s a nice small airport that’s easy in and out and is WNs home. My least favorite would have to go to the old crappy 1950’s DCA Terminal A that WN uses.
Agree totally on both airports. SWA did an awesome job with the DAL. DCA is probably in the top 5 in nead of a make-over/replacement.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:14 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Agreed on DCA. Though I think I like SAN even less - it's got one of those crappy tiny old circle terminals and, 2 boarding concourses for Southwest flights that are not connected airside (I've had to re-clear security to make plane changes before), and only a precheck-lite line.

As for favorites, I think it's mostly airports that I really like that WN happens to serve. Concourse C at PDX is great (I enjoy the food amenities, the little theater is a great place to sit and wait for a while, sometimes there's live music in the concourse, and the overall PDX airport is easily navigable). I'm also a sucker for LGB and getting to board and deplane via a ramp or airstairs and getting to walk on the ramp into the terminal, I always enjoy that!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
For its airport, PDX.

As a destination, HNL.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
ABQ Distinctive architecture
Exiled in Express likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
I have the least hate for DEN but know when to avoid it in winter months...decent quick serve food options since the expansion.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a tie for me
Destination vs Terminal.

BUR - first choice alternative to LAX. Super convenient but antiquated, not always in a charming way, and the poor quality of terminal services makes it a nasty place to get stuck on a delay.
But it's the easiest way in to an Alpha city. Compare it to LGA, and you'll get what I mean.

SMF - new terminal often seems like the most relaxed airport in the world, because it's built to handle twice its current pax load at peak times. OTOH, it's serving Sacramento, not such a great destination.
​​​​​
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:01 pm

BUR - love love love the convenience of the small terminal: easy parking, adjacent to Metrolink/Amtrak station, fast TSA, short walk to gate, board/deplane at both ends of the plane. Yes, the place is a dump (hey, it is 88 years old!), but is scheduled for a total rebuild on the other side of the runway (without adding any gates). It is THE hidden jewel of LA airports and closer to Hollywood, Pasadena, Burbank and maybe even Downtown LA than LAX! It is my go-to LA area airport!
TSparky and rickg523 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Silver
LAS. Cheap.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
SMF - new terminal often seems like the most relaxed airport in the world, because it's built to handle twice its current pax load at peak times. OTOH, it's serving Sacramento, not such a great destination.
​​​​​
Haven't been to ONT lately, but last time I was there; talk about being build to handle twice its current pax load! It was a virtual dead zone!

Last edited by NextTrip; Apr 7, 2018 at 9:37 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by NextTrip
Haven't been to ONT lately, but last time I was there; talk about being build to handle twice its current pax load! It was a virtual dead zone!
I flew out of there last year, the drive was a little long but the flights were CHEAP even last minute and it felt like a small town airport by how fast it was to get through.

I don't have any favorite WN airports, really, just some (like MCO) that I don't like at all. I do like any connection airport where I can access a lounge on a layover.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.