Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best City to Connect In this Spring LAX, MDW, or DAL?

Old Apr 5, 18, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere

I know this is like looking into a crystal ball. I am travelling from SJC to STL on a Friday afternoon/evening and those are my options. I originally went with MDW, but switched to connecting in LAX as that is the earliest departure of the 3 (thinking if that flight gets delayed or cancelled will give me time to take one of the other options). My usual go to for connections is PHX or LAS, but not an option in this case due to schedule and price. I know LAX is uber busy, but weather is usually a non issue where DAL and MDW in Spring can have weather issues. Anyway just would like others thoughts on this.
Old Apr 5, 18, 7:38 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Good choice. I'd take a marine layer over LAX, than convective storms at DAL and MDW.
Old Apr 5, 18, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
Good choice. I'd take a marine layer over LAX, than convective storms at DAL and MDW.
I agree.
Old Apr 5, 18, 11:01 pm

Just to add a data point, through May 11 Runway 25R/7L is closed at LAX. On marine layer days the delays may be worse than usual.

Temporary Runway Closure Info
Old Apr 5, 18, 11:04 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Man, I have nothing but bad luck with late flights outta LAX. Too many variables at the larger hubs like LAX that cause cascading delays.

I hate MDW but that would be my choice, DAL second then LAX...but I hate any connections via SoCal airports to head east from SJC.
Old Apr 6, 18, 5:38 am

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Not sure how long your layovers are. DAL is by far the best terminal of the 3 for hanging out in terms of food, power plug-ins and general feel.
Old Apr 7, 18, 8:58 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I've been the victim of many April & May thunderstorm delays at MDW, once stranded there by WN.
Old Apr 10, 18, 8:54 pm

Just my 2 cents, but slightly reduced airport capacity at LAX due to the closed runway is a minor annoyance compared with the possibility of thunderstorms mucking things up at either MDW or DAL on the day of travel. From my previous time as a SWA dispatcher, I can readily assure you that thunderstorms getting into major terminal areas like Dallas and Chicago can easily result in 3-4 hour delays, either from diversions (and subsequent delay and re-launch from the alternate) and ATC ground stops and ground delay programs. I don't know how much connection time you'd have in LAX, but there's enough frequency SJC-LAX where you could possibly catch an earlier rocket to LAX to play it safe. (I was an OPeratioNaL guy, not a ticketing guy, so you'd have to check if that's possible.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: