Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

No more double dip on Southwest personal credit card signup bonuses

No more double dip on Southwest personal credit card signup bonuses

Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Phanto
Yeah, I think I'm totally fine.. And I have screenshots!

I wonder how many others there were that had one of the cards and got the other yesterday that will get the bonus?
The 50K links in the WIKI still have the old language. Years ago Citi left churnable Hilton card links up for a long time but you had to know where to find them, who knows when Chase gets this all straightened out.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
I believe the 2 personal card deal would still be alive if the credit card pimps had not flogged it like a rented mule for the past several years, to mix metaphors. They made their money for a while and we permanently lost our one remaining reasonable path to CP.
I'm not sure about that. I'm not sure how familiar you are with other cards form Chase and other banks, but this has been a trend in the past couple years, at both Citi and Chase, of making restrictions that use to apply to just one card apply to all cards in the same progrram. You used to only be able to get one bonus per exact AA card at Citi every 24 months, now since a couple years ago you can only get one per whole family of AA cards at Citi every 24 months. You used to be able to get multiple Chase Sapphire cards and the bonus on each, and now there's a one-Sapphire-card-per-user limit (even though there are two different kinds of Sapphire cards).

So IMHO this would have happened no matter what, because it's the trend within credit card companies.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vike16
Logically then, the best way to go is to wait until 24 months have passed for BOTH cards, you’ve canceled both obviously, are under 5/24, and you apply for both on the same day. You should get accepted, right?
You need to get familiar with all things Chase before you propose things like this.

Chase already implemented this for Sapphire cards (where there are two types of Sapphire cards but you can only get one). Does that track work for Sapphire cards? I doubt it, but there's a thread all about the 1 Sapphire card limit over in the Chase forum, find it and read it.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there's yet another Southwest card to be created, how will it fit into this?

[Rumor] Chase Will Launch Premium Southwest Card (DoC)

roundtree likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by nsx
I believe the 2 personal card deal would still be alive if the credit card pimps had not flogged it like a rented mule for the past several years, to mix metaphors. They made their money for a while and we permanently lost our one remaining reasonable path to CP.
It probably would be but there were too many as you would say "flogging it like a rented mule." It's kind of like they knew good things were not going to last forever. Can't really blame them. These offers go viral. There is only so much market share to go around and it's up to each of the CC pimps to make shure they get their piece of the pie. In this day and age it's not too hard to reach out to them through the internet and various blogs. And since most people have easy access, you probably have people filling out applications while sitting on the John. But I will admit to having mixed feelings about it. Without all I have learned through these various blogs I would not have been able to take some very inexpensive trips.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:01 pm

Likewise. On April 3, my wife and I applied for the Personal and Premier cards. All 4 cards approved, nothing shut down.

Originally Posted by vike16

Ive done this both times Ive gone for the Southwest cards, once this year and once 2 years ago, passed with flying colors both times. Of course, I had no Chase cards for them to shut down. YMMV. Hopefully they change their policy by 2020.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
I applied for the personal card last year and, along with in seat points, that got me a CP for this year and part of last. I was planning on signing up for the business card to get me to CP for next year. Looks like that is not available any more?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Putnik
I applied for the personal card last year and, along with in seat points, that got me a CP for this year and part of last. I was planning on signing up for the business card to get me to CP for next year. Looks like that is not available any more?
The business card is still available.

https://creditcards.chase.com/small-...emier-business
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
But will I get the bonus points considering that I got the personal card less than a year away?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Putnik
But will I get the bonus points considering that I got the personal card less than a year away?

The Chase Southwest card bonus is per product, several times I have received a SU bonus for the business, plus and premier card within weeks/months of each other
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by flyer4512
The Chase Southwest card bonus is per product, several times I have received a SU bonus for the business, plus and premier card within weeks/months of each other
The language now states "any personal cards." So while you can go get more than one bonus using a combination of business and personal cards, you will no longer be able to get it for two personal cards.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Actually there is another reasonable path, BIS + spend, the way I got mine.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Actually there is another reasonable path, BIS + spend, the way I got mine.
The combination of PLUS and PREMIER was nice while it lasted. While it may have been excessively "flogged" what is the point of a good deal if you don't take advantage of it? I appreciate those that shared it here or I would not have heard about it.

Hopefully it will continue as a combination of PREMIER and BUSINESS. If/When that ends, I guess we will be down to just one card and one set of 50K points every other year. If you are flying for business (and either your personal company or the company you work for is paying the fares), then BIS+Spend may make sense. If your BIS in minimal, then $60,000 spend for 60,000 points (worth about $850 at 70 points per dollar) plus a couple of free round trips on CP (worth $500 to $1,000 depending on when you are using your CP) is only slightly better than spending the $60,000 on the Citi 2x card, where you get $1,200 in ACTUAL cash back. Obviously the more you use the CP, the more it is worth, but that was also true before these changes.

For those without a business, the possible strategy is getting the card near December 15, 2018, spending $60,000 (possibly taking until near December 2019 to do it depending on your personal lifestyle), and earning CP for just 2020. Stop using the card (hopefully cancel before the second annual fee) and return your spending to the Citi 2x card in 2020 for the 2% bonus. Enjoy CP for 2020, using it all you can (but remembering that there are other expenses to a vacation other than the cost of airfare) and start over in January 2021. That would at least give you CP for alternating years, instead of nearly continuously, as it is now.

If your lifestyle supports spending $60k in 3 months ... you may not be all that worried about CP -- but go for it if you really want it!

Last edited by FCfree; Apr 17, 2018 at 7:02 pm Reason: Correct Dates
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Doubtful that simultaneous apps work as if they do by then the bloggers will have made Chase quite aware.

As of now you can still get a SW Business card and ONE personal card to hit CP.

If you are the only person collecting points I would think before basically going card free for 2 years and hoping CP is still available via a bus card and a personal card.
My CP will expire at the end of this year (2018). I still have both personal cards open. If I received the bonus/qualified for CP in March 2017...could I cancel the chase cards in December 2018 and reapply for both in March of 2019? How do people keep the CP going continuously?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:05 am

Hey everyone,

Appreciate all the great info here. I decided to take a run at this figuring it will be the last time to double dip. Approved for 60K offer on the business card yesterday 4/18 (will wrap up the 3K spend by July). Assuming I will earn 10,000 additional points from other means this year, any reason I should wait for 50K on the Plus or Premier or should I just jump at the 40K before anything else changes? Also, any reason to pick Plus vs. Premier?

Thanks again, really love the good info here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.