Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Look for Booking Flights on Southwest.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Yesterday afternoon I booked a bunch of lights but didn't finish. Today after lunch I say down to finish and I booked one flight. I then went to book another flight and got a whole new look. The look is similar to the new change flight pages. There doesn't seem to be much change in the process, just the look.

I have several more flights to book and if I notice anything significant I'll note it here.

UPDATE - That was weird. I booked 2 more flights and it switched back.
UPPERDATE - It switched to the new format again.
I'm done for now.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Apr 5, 2018 at 11:31 am Reason: Additional Information
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:22 am

It's bizarre. They give you the new look on some flights and the old one on others.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Yes, They're either testing or rolling it out across their servers and depending on which one you get either get the new or the old one. I bet it will settle down soon.

It was startling when I booked the first one in the old format then went back to book the next one and get a completely different look.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:29 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Yes, They're either testing or rolling it out across their servers and depending on which one you get either get the new or the old one.
I wonder if testing this software created the expiration date bug?
ursine1 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:20 pm

Or was caused by the changes to the change flight pages.

Maybe we'll see more pro-customer glitches. (A guy can hope.)
steved5480 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Price range at the top of the fare columns is gone, making you scroll to the bottom of each page to find the price range for that date.
bobunf likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
What a Clutterbuck booking 3 flights before. Error message 2x that they could not pre populate my traveler info and to log in & out to try again. Then my saved credit card could not be retrieved at this time. More logging in and out. Eventually got it all done with many extra steps.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
What a Clutterbuck booking 3 flights before. Error message 2x that they could not pre populate my traveler info and to log in & out to try again. Then my saved credit card could not be retrieved at this time. More logging in and out. Eventually got it all done with many extra steps.
When the site is misbehaving, I have the most luck using Incognito mode - no promises but it has saved me a lot of aggravation.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Tanic
Price range at the top of the fare columns is gone, making you scroll to the bottom of each page to find the price range for that date.
That sucks. So far there is nothing about it I like better, but a couple things I do not like. Weird though, I just checked on a flight, and I am getting the old format again. Had been getting the new one all week.
bobunf likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
It requires another step to populate a secure flyer # (TSA pre). An extra click to enter a gift card. No price range at the top. Can't switch from round trip to one way.

What's not to like?

Better yet, What's to like ???

That plus devalued points !!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:24 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Try making your URL look like this:
Code:
https://www.southwest.com/flight/select-flight.html?displayOnly=&int=HOMEQBOMAIR
I think the &int=HOMEQBOMAIR selects the old interface. Please report your results.

Edited to add: Nope, it did not work for me in Internet Explorer.

Last edited by nsx; Apr 10, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
Didn't work for me. Sad.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:53 am

Pretty soon everyone will see the new booking flow. They are rolling out a throttled approach before turning the new system on 100%.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:07 pm

Seeing in 100% of the time now.

Noticed that "direct" is no longer a flight type designation -- it's either "nonstop" or "one stop," with plane change noted by two flight numbers listed and a 2-plane icon in the flight duration section (clickable for layover details).

Also noticed that the fare type benefits show Business Select & Anytime as "refundable" without the disclaimer language about itinerary changes causing the loss of refundability. Hoping that means they've fixed that "system limitation" but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Edited to add:

The disclaimer is buried under Fare Rules on the Trip & Price details page, which opens the Fare Information page, where you can click on "These fares are refundable and changeable and may be applied toward future travel on Southwest Airlines for the originally ticketed passenger only. Certain restrictions may apply," which leads you to the Next Generation Reservation System FAQ, where the disclaimer is finally listed.

I originally purchased a Business Select®, Anytime fare, or Senior fare and wish to modify my reservation to a new flight(s). If I decide to cancel my reservation after making the change will my ticket still be refundable? No, it will not remain refundable. Modifying a refundable fare (Business Select® or Anytime) will result in the fare becoming nonrefundable. To ensure your new ticket is refundable, cancel your existing reservation, request a refund of the refundable balance, and create a new reservation. Nonrefundable fares may be applied toward future travel on Southwest Airlines® for the originally ticketed Passenger only.

#transfarency
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ursine1
Seeing in 100% of the time now.

Noticed that "direct" is no longer a flight type designation -- it's either "nonstop" or "one stop," with plane change noted by two flight numbers listed and a 2-plane icon...
The term DIRECT should be removed from all airlines. Sometimes it means the same as a non-stop. But, if the plane does stop and you do not get off, sometimes that is called Direct.

It should be Non-stop
Stopover
Connection

Okay, I don't really care what the 2nd and 3rd are called, but they should never be "direct"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.