Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why do people fly WN when the fares are not competitive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do people fly WN when the fares are not competitive?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:25 pm

Ability to reschedule or cancel without penalty. I have very ill family members in Fort Worth and Southwest is the sole reason I have been able to be there frequently and when they need me most.
Companion Pass.
A List and the Exit Row.
Free Bags.
Friendly Flight Attendants.
I'm in Detroit and I despise Delta and miss Northwest.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by TuxTom
T

As for people in general, on most days and on most routes, the majority of travelers are going to be infrequent flyers, either leisure travelers or the person making the occasional business trip. Southwest has done a really good job creating loyalty among these kind of travelers, partly through their reputation as a LCC and offering free checked bags and no change fees, as well as offering more options out of mid-sized airports. I would guess that a lot of these travelers may not spend much time researching fares on other airlines once they find something on WN that they like for their trip.
This comment pretty much tells me you have not been on a Southwest flight on a Monday morning/Thursday evening in quite a while. Visit Love Field (or any other business city) most mornings and you will see a sea of suits and corporate wear in line for security.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by MrMan
This comment pretty much tells me you have not been on a Southwest flight on a Monday morning/Thursday evening in quite a while. Visit Love Field (or any other business city) most mornings and you will see a sea of suits and corporate wear in line for security.
I specifically included "on most days and on most routes" in that sentence to recognize the fact that there are exceptions. Monday morning at any airport with any airline is going to have more business travelers. Airports like Love, Hobby, and MDW are always going to do well for WN with all types of flyers trying to avoid the nearby hubs in each of those cities.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
... and while I get what you mean @TuxTom, FWIW, I figure 50% of all commuters on WN at SJC ("Silicon Valley's Airport"), regardless of time of day save weekends are business travelers.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
Southwest lifetime flights ~ 1500 8+ hour mechanical delays 0. Left me in a city I didn’t want to be in 0
UA ~300 flights, long delays 6, stranded 3
AA ~100 flights, long delays 3, stranded 2, including last week
Appreciate your anecdotal experience. However every WN flight I've taken from LAS in the past 20 years has been delayed, and I've had many other delays throughout the system. Certainly WN will have fewer weather delays from OAK than others do from SFO but $100-$200 is a high premium to pay.

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Seriously? My last time in UA E- was more of a packed bus than any WN flight I've been on.
I rarely fly E- much on UA but it's no worse than WN. I generally get free drinks on both (as 1K or with coupons). At least on legacy carriers I can get food when I'm hungry - often rushing to airport after biz meetings.

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
WN from OAK is usually in the same ballpark as comparable options from SFO but I'll gladly pay a $20-30 premium to avoid the extra time to get to SFO and the increased risk of long delays (plus no lounge access for me in T1 or T2 at SFO; Escape Lounge at OAK saves me $10-30 in food and drink).
i'd agree the convenience of OAK is worth $20-30 (both for WN and AS) even without the overpriced Escape (which is not convenient to T2). But I'm seeing $100-200 differential, and not just on the Intra-CA routes. And I'm not going to pay $600 (same as UA) to fly 4 hours to Houston when UA has 4x more nonstops, more comfortable seats, food, etc. But I guess some people do.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Your analysis may be backward. You assume that WN has excess capacity to dump. You should be asking yourself if other carriers made Revenue Management mistakes leading up to your short-term purchase, such that they have excess seats to dump. Selling last-minute seats at high fares is one of the primary goals of RM. Southwest might be the carrier doing it right in that market on that day.

As for the value proposition, I get WN's model but getting value out of it requires checking bags (I rarely do) and/or changing tickets (I don't, unless spending other people's money, those people who control my scheduling). If it doesn't work for you, don't fly WN - but reflect on why it works for others instead of questioning their logic.
I am not questioning WN logic though I think Wn has plenty of last minute inventory when I see seats for sale on every flight tomorrow. I'm questioning the consumer side. But maybe these seats are simply taken by A listers who bought cheapo advance fares and then SDC onto a better flight with expensive inventory.

WN works great for me on short haul flights and IMO even worth a small premium due to convenience at OAK. But there is a significant fortress hub premium - and curious if that is the case at MDW, BWI and other metros with alternative airports.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
i'd agree the convenience of OAK is worth $20-30 (both for WN and AS) even without the overpriced Escape (which is not convenient to T2). But I'm seeing $100-200 differential, and not just on the Intra-CA routes. And I'm not going to pay $600 (same as UA) to fly 4 hours to Houston when UA has 4x more nonstops, more comfortable seats, food, etc. But I guess some people do.
I have a Plat so the lounge is free; I wouldn't pay for lounge access unless I had a 2-3 hour delay. So I have access to Centurion and AF/KLM lounges at SFO but almost never fly out of those terminals, so that's of limited use unless there's a big delay (which is of course a real risk any time at SFO). I guess I would also have SkyClub access if I flew DL but that's unlikely.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
I flew WN for 49USD SAN-LAS Monday after Thanksgiving. Could have chose DL or AS since my bag is also free with silver status but WN is 50% lower than those two. I always search for the lowest fare and add up the bag fee before making a decision. This coming from an individual not based in the US with flight experience on DL, AA, AS, VX and WN. If the price is lower on UA, I'd choose them even without any experience with them.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
To answer OP's question, my number 1 driving factor are number of available non-stops. Living 15 minutes away from a hub airport (BWI) offers lots of options. I hate layovers with a passion. Sure it's nice to not worry about change fees, have CP, and all the other perks. But for me availability of non-stop destinations is #1 .

Pricing-wise, I've noticed when multiple airlines offer the same city pairs (BWI to ORD/MDW or HOU/IAH on different airlines), the prices are almost always the same down to the dollar.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Appreciate your anecdotal experience. However every WN flight I've taken from LAS in the past 20 years has been delayed,
What a ridiculously overblown statement. You remember every flight over the last 20 years. Right.

Last edited by lougord99; Apr 3, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
On almost all of the routes I fly SWA is consistently cheapest.
That has been my experience as well. I fly to the same small handful of destinations and I check prices all the time. I am certain that the destination plays a role. I might find a better price elsewhere on the odd times I fly to some other place but if it requires a change of planes to a regional jet or some crazy out-of-the-way itinerary (like changing planes in Seattle on Alaska, a thousand miles out of my way), I'll probably say no thanks.
roundtree likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
What a ridiculously overblown statement. You remember every flight over the last 20 years. Right.
He probably also remembers that all those flights cost more than the competition too...
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'll pay a premium to fly WN RDU-BWI over DL if I'm going to Baltimore or DC. WN has far more flights and I'm much more comfortable on a WN 737 than a DL CRJ-200.

Also for MSY-RDU the airlines with a nonstop are WN, F9 and G4. I recently paid 2.5x to fly WN ($109 vs. $39) over G4 because it means not flying Allegiant.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
.....F9
Many people have recommended I give Frontier a try. But when I tried, I found they didn't have any nonstops, and they didn't fly on all days of the week. And coming home, there was an overnight 6+ hour layover in Denver. Sure, it was cheap. This was to ONT by the way. But I had to say, no thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Many people have recommended I give Frontier a try. But when I tried, I found they didn't have any nonstops, and they didn't fly on all days of the week. And coming home, there was an overnight 6+ hour layover in Denver. Sure, it was cheap. This was to ONT by the way. But I had to say, no thanks!
The points about nonstops can't be emphasized enough for me, but I'm stuck with a smaller number of nonstop options out of DAL than those in other metro locales (though it's better than under the Wright Amendment).
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP, UA 1P
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Don't forget $30-60 per flight to use the overhead bin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.