Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Press reports "Southwest Airlines kicks father and his toddler daughter off flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Press reports "Southwest Airlines kicks father and his toddler daughter off flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: none
I agree 100% with OP's statement that This Does Not Look Right. It would look more right if we had all the relevant facts (which of course we don't). Hearsay, rumors, and opinions from those who weren't even there are useless.

From what I can tell, a passenger was not complying with proper instructions. Passenger was taken off the flight and put on the next one. Some other passengers were also on the plane and one had a camera but didn't catch the whole thing. Oh yes, passenger in question was a child traveling with at least one parent

Is there the remotest possibility that there is more information out there that is relevant, or have we already seen enough to form an intelligent opinion?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Since when do measly flight attendants get to be pretend federal judges who step all over the 1st Amendment? Sad to see WN catching the same disease afflicting UA the worst.
In some circumstances, any time they want. The First Amendment is about government infringement and Southwest is a private organization that is legally free to limit speech in many cases under US law.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:43 pm

Regardless of the FAs correctness, opinion is running almost universally against Southwest in the press and social media regarding this event. For what that's worth.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Is there the remotest possibility that there is more information out there that is relevant, or have we already seen enough to form an intelligent opinion?
Yes. The captain declares "we have a belligerent passenger" on requesting a return to gate. Could be the magic threshold for such.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Saw article on DailyMail
Southwest Airlines kicks father and his toddler daughter off flight | Daily Mail Online.

I can understand a 3 year old being scared at first trip in plane, but staying in your seat buckled in is a must once the plane starts pushing back from the gate.

Is the child used to sitting in parents lap while riding in a car?

Sounds like the Captain made the decision, and that was it.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Lost
Anyone 2 or older has to be belted in their own seat. If the FA doesn't believe the toddler will stay there or the father may put the child back on his lap after the FAs are buckled in, then I have to side with the airline on returning to the gate on this one.
But it does beg the question why WN then believed the toddler would stay there on the later flight.

Originally Posted by Often1
OP's suggestion that this was "shameful" is simply wrong and ignores basic safety procedures which have existed for 50+ years. Would OP have criticized WN had the aircraft stopped short while taxiing, the child been thrown and injured?

This was 100% on the father.
Not sure about "100% on the father" statement. Sometimes toddlers are just being toddlers. I think there isn't enough solid info here to go on.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by ursine1
Regardless of the FAs correctness, opinion is running almost universally against Southwest in the press and social media regarding this event. For what that's worth.
Which is a shame and speaks to the larger issue these days... And that is the facts and objective analysis are taking a backseat to emotion, faux outrage, and the SJW agenda.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Grog
But it does beg the question why WN then believed the toddler would stay there on the later flight.
The captain declares the father "belligerent" and the airline responds,"We look forward to welcoming them onboard again soon."

One doesn't follow the other without a video.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LegalTender
The captain declares the father "belligerent" and the airline responds,"We look forward to welcoming them onboard again soon."

One doesn't follow the other without a video.
Is it clear the father was declared belligerent rather than the toddler being declared belligerent?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
Which is a shame and speaks to the larger issue these days... And that is the facts and objective analysis are taking a backseat to emotion, faux outrage, and the SJW agenda.
I think it's a shame that anyone who wasn't on the plane thinks they have enough facts to claim the high ground here.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Clickbait thread title changed to describe the discussion. FT rules require informative thread titles to avoid wasting members' time.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:25 pm

"Press reports" is like a fast-acting weed killer. Nice.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Since when do measly flight attendants get to be pretend federal judges who step all over the 1st Amendment? Sad to see WN catching the same disease afflicting UA the worst.
How is that even relevant to this situation? What does the 1st amendment have to do with any of this?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Lost
Anyone 2 or older has to be belted in their own seat. If the FA doesn't believe the toddler will stay there or the father may put the child back on his lap after the FAs are buckled in, then I have to side with the airline on returning to the gate on this one.
maybe i missed it but does it say how old the child was? If she is under 2 then just because he has a seat for her doesn't mean she has to be in it. I'm assuming she is over 2 but didn't see that stated anywhere to confirm.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by justhere
maybe i missed it but does it say how old the child was? If she is under 2 then just because he has a seat for her doesn't mean she has to be in it. I'm assuming she is over 2 but didn't see that stated anywhere to confirm.
Family kicked off Southwest flight at Midway in viral video abc7chicago.com

First paragraph. I was reading a few different news sites about this story and didn't know it wasn't in the story the OP posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.