FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   [DEAD] TTF Expiration Improvement - Hoping this is indeed a value add by SWA. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1898539-dead-ttf-expiration-improvement-hoping-indeed-value-add-swa.html)

shtimseht Mar 13, 2018 1:09 am

[DEAD] TTF Expiration Improvement - Hoping this is indeed a value add by SWA.

Noticed this today when changing some flights that the TTFs used instead of spoiling by taking on the earliest expiration date were reset to 12 months from today's date. This was always a point of frustration to juggle a number of partially used TTFs trying not to have some go to waste while at the same time preventing contamination of new funds by comingling in older, about to expire, TTFs.

Here's to hoping that this is a new feature and not some lucky glitch on the website.

(Now if only they would let me use more than 2(or 3) TTF to pay for a flight. I always end up with a lot of low value (<$10) TTF that were a pain to combine and use.)

ursine1 Mar 13, 2018 4:02 am

Color me skeptical.

If this is indeed true, then travel funds would essentially never expire. As long as you kept rebooking, you could keep a credit alive indefinitely. I cannot see the bean counters allowing that.

I'm guessing glitch.

Note: The Fare Comparison Chart on the Southwest website hasn't been updated to reflect any change.

Reusable Funds1
If you cancel your flight, 100% of your ticket value can be applied to future travel for up to 12 months. New reservations inherit the earliest expiration date from any funds applied from the old ticket. Therefore, the expiration date of our new reservation and all associated funds may be less than 12 months.
Neither has the Contract of Carriage (pdf).

c. Refunds

(3) Nonrefundable Tickets.

(iii) Travel Credit Eligibility. The expiration date of any travel credit will apply to any Tickets purchased with these funds. If a Ticket is purchased with multiple travel credits, the earliest expiration date will apply to the entire Ticket.

rsteinmetz70112 Mar 13, 2018 9:01 am

Anyone suspect an IT glitch?

kennycrudup Mar 13, 2018 12:47 pm

WN IT? Naaaaaaaaah!

(... crap; I use my real name around here ... guess I'ma suffer from a rash of OOPS!es over the coming weeks :))

Calboy9903 Mar 14, 2018 10:58 am

pretty sure it's a glitch, so take advantage of it while you can.

ursine1 Mar 15, 2018 12:56 am

So, has anyone had a similar experience as the OP?

tanfox Mar 15, 2018 4:47 am

No Luck for me. I made 2 different flight changes using TFFs on the same day as OP.
When I read the post, I checked my account and the remaining TFF expiration and they were still the original purchase date.

dlaue Mar 15, 2018 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 29526885)
So, has anyone had a similar experience as the OP?

Yes! On 3/13/18 I booked flight using TTF's from two cancelled itineraries with funds expiring 1/12/19 + cash. Cancelled that reservation. The resulting TTFs showed an expiration of 3/13/19. Used those funds today with no problems.

It's a glitch....of this I am sure.

ursine1 Mar 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue (Post 29529689)
Yes! On 3/13/18 I booked flight using TTF's from two cancelled itineraries with funds expiring 1/12/19 + cash. Cancelled that reservation. The resulting TTFs showed an expiration of 3/13/19. Used those funds today with no problems.

It's a glitch....of this I am sure.

On the flight confirmation booked today, is the expiration 3/13/19 or 3/15/19?

dlaue Mar 15, 2018 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 29529701)
On the flight confirmation booked today, is the expiration 3/13/19 or 3/15/19?

I don't know. And to find out requires that I cancel a companion reservation before trying to "change" my reservation to expose the TTF value. Sorry! It's too bad WN obscures the TTFs available and the payment history on a ticketed reservation.

ursine1 Mar 15, 2018 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue (Post 29529937)
I don't know. And to find out requires that I cancel a companion reservation before trying to "change" my reservation to expose the TTF value. Sorry! It's too bad WN obscures the TTFs available and the payment history on a ticketed reservation.

Actually, no -- the expiration date is shown in the confirmation email for the new booking. It's just to the right of the ticket number.

dlaue Mar 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 29530207)
Actually, no -- the expiration date is shown in the confirmation email for the new booking. It's just to the right of the ticket number.

Thanks. It shows expiration 3/13/19.

ursine1 Mar 15, 2018 9:35 pm

Very interesting. So apparently there was a glitch on 3/13/18.

Anyone else have any data points?

ursine1 Mar 16, 2018 11:28 am

Another interesting observation: Checking some previous bookings today I see that, on new bookings, the expiration date is always one day earlier than one full year later, ie: booking on Jan. 15, 2018 = Jan. 14, 2019 expiration. (When TTFs are used, the expiration date is that of the TTF.)

So it's unusual that a booking made on 3/13/18 would have an expiration date of 3/13/19 instead of 3/12/19, with or without the addition of TTFs.

Calboy9903 Mar 20, 2018 4:00 am

changes to existing reservations did not get extended date but every new ticket I booked on that date had all funds extended by 1 year