Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fight over bag space in the overhead bin...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:31 pm
Formerly known as billinaz
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors

What ?

You taking things to a physical level is on you. SWA enabling the powderkeg and getting things to that point needs to be addressed as well.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Wow. Just wow.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
What ?

You taking things to a physical level is on you. SWA enabling the powderkeg and getting things to that point needs to be addressed as well.
Your claim, hypothesis, assertion, or whatever you want to call it, is that if WN doesn't enforce carry on bag size and define what they mean by an open seat, they are creating an environment that is explosive and ripe for incidents and situations such as the one you link in your OP.

However you have presented nothing to support your position. I know for me, and i think possibly other posters in this thread, that is all we are saying. Your OP provides no evidence that there is a link or even a cause and effect that failing to enforce bag size and not having a specific definition of what is an open seat will lead to fights or other criminal behavior.

Air travel in general can be stressful for many and there have been incidents on airlines other than WN. Do you at least have any data to show that there are a higher number of incidents on WN? Even if the data isn't specific to carry ons and open seating at least that would be a starting point.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by justhere
Your claim, hypothesis, assertion, or whatever you want to call it, is that if WN doesn't enforce carry on bag size and define what they mean by an open seat, they are creating an environment that is explosive and ripe for incidents and situations such as the one you link in your OP.

However you have presented nothing to support your position. I know for me, and i think possibly other posters in this thread, that is all we are saying. Your OP provides no evidence that there is a link or even a cause and effect that failing to enforce bag size and not having a specific definition of what is an open seat will lead to fights or other criminal behavior.

Air travel in general can be stressful for many and there have been incidents on airlines other than WN. Do you at least have any data to show that there are a higher number of incidents on WN? Even if the data isn't specific to carry ons and open seating at least that would be a starting point.
As if I need to point to specific posts on this forum and southwestaircommunity.com pointing out first hand experience with the fights and near fights due to the seating policy and saved, open, available seats. How many times have people said they were unable to get an airline employee to intervene in the situation due to a policy/non policy? The fact remains that this has led and will lead to physical altercations or near physical altercations? The overhead storage is just another boiling point. On the full flights when there is not going to be room for all bags, not enforcing the carry on size and having people bring on bags double the size is just another issue that has/will come up.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:42 pm

Does anyone else see the irony in this thread?
joshua362, smmrfld and SCGustafson like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:39 pm

Yes.

Sounds to me, based on the anger and frustration expressed, that the OP would be one of the first people to get into a fight on board.

justhere and smmrfld like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
As if I need to point to specific posts on this forum and southwestaircommunity.com pointing out first hand experience with the fights and near fights due to the seating policy and saved, open, available seats. How many times have people said they were unable to get an airline employee to intervene in the situation due to a policy/non policy? The fact remains that this has led and will lead to physical altercations or near physical altercations? The overhead storage is just another boiling point. On the full flights when there is not going to be room for all bags, not enforcing the carry on size and having people bring on bags double the size is just another issue that has/will come up.
First, good deflection. Make it sound like there are a plethora of posts about fights over bag sizes and open seating. However I checked southwestaircommunity and searched for "fight". Didn't care what the fight was about, just wanted to see what people were posting. Based on your claim I expected to settle down and spend hours reading.

Interestingly I did find lots of posts with the word "fight" in them. Even more interestingly, it seems that "fight" is a common misspelling for "flight". I looked through 6 pages of posts and most that had the word "fight" were really about "flights".

Maybe not so surprisingly the one post I did find about fights over seat saving was one created by none other than SpaceCoastBill. Pretty much word for word the same as you post here. You claim that open seating leads to fights. Everyone there, just like everyone here, says the same thing. Essentially, why are you so angry about the open seating policy.

All that being said, SCB, keep up the good fight. Without you, there will be no one to champion the over-sized carry on bag and seat saving fight club. You sir, are my hero. Your dedication to the subject and your unwavering commitment to get the truth out there is admirable. God's speed, my friend, God's speed.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Maybe not so surprisingly the one post I did find about fights over seat saving was one created by none other than SpaceCoastBill. Pretty much word for word the same as you post here. You claim that open seating leads to fights. Everyone there, just like everyone here, says the same thing. Essentially, why are you so angry about the open seating policy.

All that being said, SCB, keep up the good fight. Without you, there will be no one to champion the over-sized carry on bag and seat saving fight club. You sir, are my hero. Your dedication to the subject and your unwavering commitment to get the truth out there is admirable. God's speed, my friend, God's speed.
Everyone needs a hobby. Bill is no exception... His is just a little odd I must say!
smmrfld likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: United 1K, SWA RR ALP-CP, Hertz #1 Gold PC, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Flew WN Sunday MCI-ATL.

All new 737's have "Boeing Sky Interior" but Southwest told USA Today it wasn't ordering Space Bins. If they reversed course in the last 30 months, it would have made a monster marketing promo.
The OH bins on Airbus’, particularly the A319s have been one of a few pleasant changes I’ve come across after status matching and converting to fly DL as my primary this year. They are equipped with the “bookshelf” style OH bins which can fit so many more bags than the outdated style on the B737. It’s definitely a shame that WN decided against equipping their fleet with the Space Bins. Don’t mean to thread jack, but another thing that has been nice is taking flights that aren’t always booked completely solid, something that became rather unpleasant with WN.

Perhaps, another way to combat the almost constant OH bin issue on WN would be instituting some sort of, wait for it...basic economy fare (cheaper than WGA fare) which would require checking all roller bags and allowing only a single personal item, in addition to putting all basic economy flyers in the latter part of the C boarding group. Food for thought...
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Everyone needs a hobby. Bill is no exception... His is just a little odd I must say!
I too find your hobby for trolling odd.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
Yes.

Sounds to me, based on the anger and frustration expressed, that the OP would be one of the first people to get into a fight on board.

Anger? Never said anything about anger. Must be your overreaching imagination. As for the other claim, I have the occupational experience to not cause nor be the person responsible for a criminal act. However, I do have the ability to take care of someone that does.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:40 pm

Yay, you're back! It was getting boring here.
justhere likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:14 am

Anger? Never said anything about anger. Must be your overreaching imagination. As for the other claim, I have the occupational experience to not cause nor be the person responsible for a criminal act. However, I do have the ability to take care of someone that does.
Fair enough but the tone of your posts and the sentiment expressed do come across as angry. Posters have said that on both FT and the WN board. It does come across as though you take WN's open seating as something against you personally and that it's up to you to address and fix it.

Does anyone really care what someone else thinks about the open seating? Probably not. They only likely care as long as it aligns with their own opinion. The lack of support you're getting in these threads should tell you that it's not a big deal to most people around here. Sure there are posts and stories about issues with it but compared to the millions of people that board WN planes every year, it's clearly not enough of an issue for WN to change anything at this point.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Fair enough but the tone of your posts and the sentiment expressed do come across as angry. Posters have said that on both FT and the WN board. It does come across as though you take WN's open seating as something against you personally and that it's up to you to address and fix it.

Does anyone really care what someone else thinks about the open seating? Probably not. They only likely care as long as it aligns with their own opinion. The lack of support you're getting in these threads should tell you that it's not a big deal to most people around here. Sure there are posts and stories about issues with it but compared to the millions of people that board WN planes every year, it's clearly not enough of an issue for WN to change anything at this point.

As we know, tone and intonation do not carry well across typed text.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:28 pm

As we know, tone and intonation do not carry well across typed text.
Nevertheless, he persisted. Sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.