FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Law requiring WN to have parents sit with kids? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1897752-law-requiring-wn-have-parents-sit-kids.html)

toomanybooks Mar 8, 2018 1:34 pm

Law requiring WN to have parents sit with kids?

Just read about this from a couple years ago.

https://familytravel.org/congress-pa...ying-together/

Is this accurate? Is WN 100% required to seat kids with parents?

My Google skills are failing me as to whether this passed and is fully implemented, coming soon, whatever.

ursine1 Mar 8, 2018 1:58 pm

Short answer, no.

More discussion here.

N830MH Mar 8, 2018 4:22 pm

The answer is no. Whatever those kids who want to sit there. There's no law. It's their choice.

xliioper Mar 8, 2018 7:05 pm

Here's the relevant part from the 2016 FAA Reauthorization Act -- "Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation shall review and, if appropriate, establish a policy....". Note the "if appropriate" part. In the end, the transportation department didn't come up with a policy after the review period. There was a separate action by congress called the "Families Flying together Act" in 2015, but it never actually got out of the House aviation committee.

N830MH Mar 8, 2018 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 29502626)
Here's the relevant part from the 2016 FAA Reauthorization Act -- "Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation shall review and, if appropriate, establish a policy....". Note the "if appropriate" part. In the end, the transportation department didn't come up with a policy after the review period. There was a separate action by congress called the "Families Flying together Act" in 2015, but it never actually got out of the House aviation committee.

Right! They never signs into the law. They never did. They veto the bills.

AsiaTraveler Mar 10, 2018 7:17 am

I find it funny that this is coming up on the WN forum. I have found it drastically easier to get seated with my children without paying extra on WN than on any other airline I've flown since becoming a parent. The other airlines charge for so many seats that it has been challenging to find seats together.

While I can imagine a handful of scenarios that would make this hard on WN (late arriving inbound on a connection, etc), my experience is that under normal circumstances WN comes out ahead in this area.

LegalTender Mar 10, 2018 8:14 am

No airline could charge for the accommodation.

Southwest had qualified dispensation. There was no requirement to assign seats, but 13 and under's still would board with their family unit.

(a)Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment
of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation shall review and, if
appropriate, establish a policy directing all air carriers providing
scheduled passenger interstate or intrastate air transportation to
establish policies that enable a child, who is age 13 or under on the
date an applicable flight is scheduled to occur, to be seated in a seat
adjacent to the seat of an accompanying family member over the age of
13, to the maximum extent practicable and at no additional cost, except
when assignment to an adjacent seat would require an upgrade to another
cabin class or a seat with extra legroom or seat pitch for which additional payment
is normally required.
(b) Effect on Airline Boarding and Seating Policies.--When
considering any new policy under this section, the Secretary shall
consider the traditional seating and boarding policies of air carriers
providing scheduled passenger interstate or intrastate air
transportation and whether those policies generally allow families to
sit together.
(c) Notwithstanding the requirement in
subsection (a), nothing in this section may be construed to allow the
Secretary to impose a significant change in the overall seating or
boarding policy of an air carrier providing scheduled passenger
interstate or intrastate air transportation that has an open or flexible
seating policy in place that generally allows adjacent family seating as
described in subsection (a).

Whowouldanewman Mar 10, 2018 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler (Post 29507606)
I find it funny that this is coming up on the WN forum. I have found it drastically easier to get seated with my children without paying extra on WN than on any other airline I've flown since becoming a parent. The other airlines charge for so many seats that it has been challenging to find seats together.

While I can imagine a handful of scenarios that would make this hard on WN (late arriving inbound on a connection, etc), my experience is that under normal circumstances WN comes out ahead in this area.

Completely agree. I’ve never had an issue finding seats together.

bobunf Mar 11, 2018 12:14 pm

My extended family of eleven (including five girls under eight years) flew to Costa Rica and found seats together. The hapless passengers who sat with us (both coming and going) were good sports. The whole thing was quite an experience for all, but was pretty much a fun time. In part thanks to WN.