Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WNs Travel waiver limited

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

WNs Travel waiver limited

So I had my first taste of WNs Travel Waiver and boy does it suck. Most time airlines will waive the fare difference to get people off there flights and avoid having to reaccomodate too many passengers. Southwest will only waive the fare difference if it is the same fare class. My MCO-EWR flight on Wednesday night leaves me with no free changes all day Thursday and Friday. When I called today I was told that if my flight was cancelled or over an hour delayed they would waive the fare difference. Is this correct because she was very rude and it felt like she wanted me off the line
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Sounds like the representative was using the rebooking window for the last storm and not the upcoming one. Based on the Quinn notice a Wednesday flight to Newark should be free change through 3/21. I suggest calling again and requesting accommodation under the Quinn waiver. Knowing and asking what you want goes much further than asking what your options are so search and call prepared.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

I attempted to change online and it said that there was a special waiver but when I tried to change it told me sold out or not available and the waiver text said it was into the same fare class only Ironically I can change to LGA for every flight on thursday online but LGA would be a big hassle.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:46 am
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
HUCA?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by cmx
HUCA?
Yep.

Or quote the waiver information from the web site to the rep.

BUT - if the flights are FULL/SOLD OUT - even the CEO can not help.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:36 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cmx
HUCA?
Hang Up Call Again
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Ok, HUCA worked but I still think that the travel policy has restrictions on it that are more restrictive than most airlines. When the agent rebooked me she said the computer wasn't waiving the fare difference and it took her a bit to do it. This shouldn't be this hard I should be able to do it online. Unfortunately it's a 35 minute connection in FLL so odds are they won't be able to sit together being that boarding will have already started by the time they land. But better than not getting home for 3 days. Though I could think of worse places to be stuck than MCO
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
first time on WN, on WN 723 tomorrow AM LGA-ATL. Likely to be cancelled?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Jthompson4
Ok, HUCA worked but I still think that the travel policy has restrictions on it that are more restrictive than most airlines. When the agent rebooked me she said the computer wasn't waiving the fare difference and it took her a bit to do it. This shouldn't be this hard I should be able to do it online. Unfortunately it's a 35 minute connection in FLL so odds are they won't be able to sit together being that boarding will have already started by the time they land. But better than not getting home for 3 days. Though I could think of worse places to be stuck than MCO
Maybe this should be merged with the AA thread about the $200 change fee and why WN is therefore the carrier of choice for everybody.

Bottom line is that WN is WN and AA/UA/DL are AA/UA/DL. If you can find a better overall deal, you should take it.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
first time on WN, on WN 723 tomorrow AM LGA-ATL. Likely to be cancelled?
Precipitation and winds are supposed to get bad until during the day Wednesday in NY. Precip will start overnight though, so depends how comfortable WN is having the plane spend the night at LGA. I'd give you pretty good odds of your flight operating, but I'm just guessing as I am not sure how aggressive (or not aggressive) WN is about canceling.

Currently (subject to change of course) your inbound plane is tonight's WN138 HOU-LGA.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:01 pm

Tomorrow morning's MCO-EWR flight already cancelled but most other flights out of MCO to the Northeast are still scheduled per the boards in Orlando
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by devyanks
Tomorrow morning's MCO-EWR flight already cancelled but most other flights out of MCO to the Northeast are still scheduled per the boards in Orlando

Okay... does WN show the other flights cancelled?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jthompson4
Ok, HUCA worked but I still think that the travel policy has restrictions on it that are more restrictive than most airlines. When the agent rebooked me she said the computer wasn't waiving the fare difference and it took her a bit to do it. This shouldn't be this hard I should be able to do it online.
There are several limitations involved with flying Southwest. If you can't live with them it's time to fly another carrier. Seat assignments and ETOPS to Hawaii shouldn't be that hard, either, but Southwest doesn't have them today.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There are several limitations involved with flying Southwest. If you can't live with them it's time to fly another carrier. Seat assignments and ETOPS to Hawaii shouldn't be that hard, either, but Southwest doesn't have them today.
I realize that there are limitations and some great things such as no change fee and 2 free bags, I actually like Southwest and am willing to take the lack of seat assignments into account. That being said the waiver policy is not widely known and if I didn't get the luck of the HUCA by the time my flight was cancelled this morning I wouldnt have been able to get a flight until Saturday. I would say that's more than a little hiccup. Most other airlines including SPIRIT we're waiving the fare difference. So I think I have the right to give my opinion and say that their policy sucks. Now that I know that I have to take that into account especially when booking in Winter. That being said I think that Southwest does a better job and provides a better experience than even the major carriers like UA/DL/AA.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Maybe this should be merged with the AA thread about the $200 change fee and why WN is therefore the carrier of choice for everybody.

Bottom line is that WN is WN and AA/UA/DL are AA/UA/DL. If you can find a better overall deal, you should take it.
I agree the change fees on most airlines are ridiculously high and Southwest's lack of fees makes them a great deal in my mind however I would gladly pay a change fee when needed to avoid possibly getting stuck for several days. People on this board have complained about far more trivial problems than this like the expiring drink coupons, I think this rises to the level of legitimate complaint, it's not like I'm calling for a boycott or anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.