Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Drink prices just went up on WN

Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Whatever.

Still a bargain compared to others. And the wine is a bigger serving.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Meh, would rather them charge more for drinks if it still means free bags and free changes/cancelations!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Value of my coupons just increased!
synergistic likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:53 pm

When was the last time they raised prices?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:13 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Hopefully they won't change those for a while! (I could see them at some point in the future increasing it to 12 flights in order to get the coupons...)
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:10 am

Off topic, but discussed here:

The End of Free Drinks?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Old news, they're near bankruptcy, they need to find money somewhere.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Southwest A-List, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ursine1
Off topic, but discussed here:

The End of Free Drinks?
That’s not entirely off topic, in my estimation. Prior to the beginning of this year, flight attendants would actually collect payment or coupons about 50% of the time or less. At least that had been my experience—yours may have differed. So the effective average cost of a liquor drink was under $2.50.

But so far in 2018, payment or a coupon has been collected absolutely every time I’ve ordered a drink. So for me, coupled with a 100% collection rate, liquor now being priced at $7 represents nearly a tripling of the effective price. That price is still reasonable, but there’ll certainly be fewer “what the heck...I’ll order a drink” decisions in my future. I’ll use the coupons they send, maybe order a drink on longer flights, and leave it at that.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by briantroutman
That’s not entirely off topic, in my estimation. Prior to the beginning of this year, flight attendants would actually collect payment or coupons about 50% of the time or less. At least that had been my experience—yours may have differed. So the effective average cost of a liquor drink was under $2.50.

But so far in 2018, payment or a coupon has been collected absolutely every time I’ve ordered a drink. So for me, coupled with a 100% collection rate, liquor now being priced at $7 represents nearly a tripling of the effective price. That price is still reasonable, but there’ll certainly be fewer “what the heck...I’ll order a drink” decisions in my future. I’ll use the coupons they send, maybe order a drink on longer flights, and leave it at that.
Maybe they should have tried having FA's collect payment first, before raising prices. I think it's reasonable to actually collect payment for drinks (unless IRROPS). See how much more you collect and, then, raise prices $1 if necessary.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Thank goodness WN supplies "forever" coupons and we don't have to buy low value coupons to supplement them!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by briantroutman

I had two Wild Turkeys on my flight last Wednesday and the FA never collected. I had my credit card in hand, offered it to the FA, but he never had the tablet with him.

My "free drink" rate has long been around 50% - pretty common pattern that the first drink is paid, 2nd one is not. Of course I never expect it, am always grateful when it happens...figured it was just one of few lingering ways for Southwest to be "different" (in a good way).
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Thank goodness WN supplies "forever" coupons and we don't have to buy low value coupons to supplement them!
Actually I have a whole book of coupons printed without an expiration date that WN refuses to honor.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Actually I have a whole book of coupons printed without an expiration date that WN refuses to honor.
Ya know, if you've been an RR(1) member that long (and DAL can see that if they look you up), I'll bet mailing 'em all back to Gary and Co. with a note containing your RR # and saying "Soooo ... help me out here!" (paraphrased ) might get you a few current drink coupons back in return.

Worth a try, and only thing to lose is some postage.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Me too. Well, maybe like 4-5. Not sure how many were originally there. Last time I tried to use one the FA said "we haven't accepted those in years!" Then she Laughed and walked away.

Free drinks are nice but I expect to pay if I order one. It's just nicer if it's free. I'm 3/3 on Delta FAs not taking my drink chit this year. 0/4 on SW when I flew them last. As always, ymmv.

But SW has charged so much less than the other airlines it was clearly low hanging fruit for additional revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.