Companion Pass - No TSA-Pre?

Old Feb 16, 18, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Companion Pass - No TSA-Pre?

Iíve flown on five flights with a companion fare and havenít gotten TSA Pre-check. My KTN is on my RR profile and when I fly on my own (with a purchased ticket), there is no problem.

Iíve looked through the forum here, and see that some have suggested manually adding the KTN to each reservation. The problem is, my KTN is already part of the reservation (when I try to add it, it says ďOn FileĒ and is grayed out). Calls to SW have been unsuccessfulóthey see the KTN on my ticket and say thereís nothing they can do.

Is anyone else having this problem, or do you have any other suggestions as to what I can do?
Thank you!
Old Feb 17, 18, 1:56 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Haven't experienced that situation, but have experienced a possibly analogous one: for a long time (possibly close to a year?) when the Mrs. and I travelled together the kiosks at our home airport could not find the companion's reservation. There was no issue getting BPs at kiosks at other airports for return flights, and no issues getting BPs at the home airport kiosks if the companion flew alone. It all seems to have been sorted out now, though. I only mention it because there have been no other replies, and this at least shows that Companion weirdness can exist for a particular CP Holder / Companion pair without it being an issue that is widespread enough to have been discussed much or at all here on FT.
Old Feb 17, 18, 6:49 am

Are you the Companion, or the Pass Holder? I'm assuming the former, and the Pass Holder has entered your name incorrectly (has to be exact, middle name and all) when they added you as the Companion to their reservation
Old Feb 17, 18, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
Are you the Companion, or the Pass Holder? I'm assuming the former, and the Pass Holder has entered your name incorrectly (has to be exact, middle name and all) when they added you as the Companion to their reservation
I am the companion. When we set me up as a companion, we called SW and they asked for my RR number to assign me as the companion and said that my info would be pulled from my RR profile. My profile is set up correctly (first, middle, last name match Global Entry card) because I consistently receive TSA-Pre when traveling solo. Is there a way to enter in my name manually on companion tickets, instead? If so, that might help because I can try to delete and re-enter to see if that makes any difference.
Old Feb 17, 18, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ftnoob View Post
Haven't experienced that situation, but have experienced a possibly analogous one: for a long time (possibly close to a year?) when the Mrs. and I travelled together the kiosks at our home airport could not find the companion's reservation. There was no issue getting BPs at kiosks at other airports for return flights, and no issues getting BPs at the home airport kiosks if the companion flew alone. It all seems to have been sorted out now, though. I only mention it because there have been no other replies, and this at least shows that Companion weirdness can exist for a particular CP Holder / Companion pair without it being an issue that is widespread enough to have been discussed much or at all here on FT.
Thank you for responding. Yes, from looking through the companion pass threads here, it does seem like there are some quirks in the system!
Old Feb 17, 18, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is more than likely that a glitch in WN's IT architecture has mangled your name and other ID information. It's clunky and prone to many other errors. Call WN and ask them to read you what they show for your name, date of birth, and KTN for an upcoming companion ticket. Ask them to read letter-by-letter and number-by-number. Don't be put off by the "Pre-Check is not guaranteed" stuff. While that is true, it ought to be extremely rare and the differentiator should not be whether you are traveling as a companion ore on your own (unless your pass holder is a North Korean official of some kind).
Old Feb 17, 18, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by amytflyer View Post

I am the companion. When we set me up as a companion, we called SW and they asked for my RR number to assign me as the companion and said that my info would be pulled from my RR profile. My profile is set up correctly (first, middle, last name match Global Entry card) because I consistently receive TSA-Pre when traveling solo. Is there a way to enter in my name manually on companion tickets, instead? If so, that might help because I can try to delete and re-enter to see if that makes any difference.
Yes, that's how you have to do it the first time, you don't just enter the Companion's RR#, you have to key in the entire name, correctly. After the first time it pre-populates the Companion info (at least it does for my Companion)
Old Feb 17, 18, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Okay I will double check future tickets to make sure everything matches my Global Entry exactly. I was entered as a companion over the phone so maybe that has contributed to the problem.
Old Feb 17, 18, 12:59 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I do remember a problem when wife was the Companion... but after a few flights it was okay.

Now I am companion and two flights later, my KTN is there and we both got precheck.

Related note - when setting up companion fare, the system somehow set up a new RR number. I now fly under that number.
Old Feb 17, 18, 3:52 pm

I have been the "companion" for multiple years and have not had any issues with my KTN showing up. When we first got TSA Pre we called SWA and made sure that my name matched exactly to what was reflected on the TSA letter.
Old Feb 17, 18, 4:17 pm

Programs: WN A & CP, AA EXP, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Global Entry, CLEAR
You can also add the info to the PNR here:

https://www.southwest.com/flight/add...InfoEntry.html
Old Feb 19, 18, 7:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, IHG Plat
When I had problems that Southwest couldn't resolve, I sent a tweet to @ASKTSA. The responded and had me send a direct message with the info, they were able to resolve it with Southwest.
Old Feb 20, 18, 2:00 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by amytflyer View Post
Is there a way to enter in my name manually on companion tickets, instead? If so, that might help because I can try to delete and re-enter to see if that makes any difference.
Yes. On the booking screen, you can add the KTN # (or redress if needed), and an email address to send the confirmations. The companion's name will auto populate, as will the RR # assigned to the companion pass. Obviously, make sure whomever is booking the ticket types the number in correctly. Maybe even copy it from GOES if you have GE/NEXUS or whatever the PreCheck application site is called.

I think the system is auto-populating my companion's KTN # now. I don't have her's memorized or saved on any document that's readily accessible when I'm booking tickets on my iPhone or iPad, so I just leave it blank. Maybe the better way to troubleshoot is to leave the KTN # number off a reservation at booking and seeing if something shows up? Might try it with a couple full fare dummy bookings.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: