FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   A-List Status Seating -- A-57?! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1892200-list-status-seating-57-a.html)

pc95 Feb 4, 2018 8:05 am

A-List Status Seating -- A-57?!

Usually get A-27 to A-37 ---- lately been getting A-50s....what gives? Too many A-List Preferred on flight, or many folks with higher rated A-List somehow?
Of note I had my non-A-list companion getting B-20 somethings on the same ticket. I even check-in at T-24 within a sec or two still with A-List.

lougord99 Feb 4, 2018 8:56 am

The time that you check in does not affect your A-list boarding position. I often get high A's and even some low B's on business heavy flights.

synergistic Feb 4, 2018 9:43 am

I got a high B once and actually wondered if something had gone wrong. I was not the only A-Listers standing at the end of the A queue, though, so clearly there were just a lot of status holding folks on the flight. It was a California flight, so not totally unexpected.

pshuang Feb 4, 2018 9:53 am

One possible reason might be that on some of the routes you fly often, Southwest has been selling more connecting itineraries to other people. If you're flying BBB-CCC but somebody else is flying AAA-BBB-CCC, then they get checked in based on their identical-to-you A-list status before you do.

toomanybooks Feb 4, 2018 11:41 am

Originally Posted by pshuang (Post 29378203)
One possible reason might be that on some of the routes you fly often, Southwest has been selling more connecting itineraries to other people. If you're flying BBB-CCC but somebody else is flying AAA-BBB-CCC, then they get checked in based on their identical-to-you A-list status before you do.

Very often this is it.

pc95 Feb 4, 2018 11:57 am

Originally Posted by pshuang (Post 29378203)

Flight departure is 0640, I don't think its connecting from anywhere....possibly there are many business travelers....but would think they'd be taking all the A1-A15 seats first. Its just anomalous from my last 10 flights or so from same origin/destination city-pair.

mile ho Feb 4, 2018 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by pc95 (Post 29378595)
Flight departure is 0640, I don't think its connecting from anywhere....possibly there are many business travelers....but would think they'd be taking all the A1-A15 seats first. Its just anomalous from my last 10 flights or so from same origin/destination city-pair.

A1-A15 are business select only. Not even A-List Preferred get those unless they are paid for them. You were most like a very low ranked A-Lister on a flight full of business flyers who outranked you.

ryw Feb 4, 2018 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by pc95 (Post 29378595)

makes sense if it's a weekday departure and the flight is under 2 hours. Often lots of business travelers (read people with A-list or A+) will be on those early flights to make morning meetings in the arrival city (I've seen this a lot in intra-CA). 40+ A-listers in front of me has happened before. While A+ members should get better numbers than A-list, it's unclear how order is determined within those tiers, but there's been a lot of speculation here about it

NoStressHere Feb 4, 2018 4:01 pm

Folks might be able to add more comment if you gave the flight and days of week. (why are some things such a secret?)

I am guessing you might be doing San Diego-Sacramento.

FlyingJayhawk12 Feb 4, 2018 6:06 pm

In my experience, higher A boarding numbers for A-Listers is definitely common if you’re going out of an airport dominated by SW traffic or especially on business heavy flights. I see it all the time flying out of MDW, BWI, and HOU. I’m A-L+/CP, fly hundreds of SW flights every year for business and even I board as low as A-35 going out of MDW at 5:00PM on a Thursday.

hiker72 Feb 5, 2018 10:42 am

What airports are you guys flying from that would make such a high A number seem common?

My home airport is MDW, which I believe is their largest hub with quite a few business commuters, and I don't think I've ever been any higher than A-38 or so. 95% of the time I'm A-30 at the worst. This is as regular A list as of last year. For years prior to that I was ALP, and usually got A-25 as the absolute worst, and was typically A-16 to A-20.

lougord99 Feb 5, 2018 6:32 pm

I regularly fly MDW-STL and MDW-MCI and routinely get A50’s. If I am A 30 or less, I know the flight is pretty empty. I also Only book sale fares and I believe I pay some the lowest fares they offer on my routes.

willywilkes Feb 6, 2018 12:29 pm

I don't think any of us know exactly how price paid plays into either, but I am fairly confident that A-list with Anytime fare purchase will get a better position than A-list with WGA, so that can definitely be part of it.

dc2 Feb 7, 2018 2:49 pm

I wonder sometimes myself. I had a flight (out of DCA) yesterday- I don't have status and no early bird. I checked in at t-24 exactly. I had A60. DH (a-list) flying as my companion: B-12.