Switch Boarding Passes?

Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Because they want to get off the plane ASAP and this selfish person's saved middle seat was the first one available. Why punish yourself and go further back because some stranger was too cheap to pay for for A1-15 boarding?
​​​​​​I don't think that's usually the case, it's not like we sit in even the first dozen rows. Usually the person has passed up several comparable seats before deciding 'that's far enough' and asking me. The vast majority of people are happy to take a seat just a little further, and often get a better seat. I always end up comfortable when someone feels like you and sits in the middle despite my request. I mean, feel free, I won't actually stop you, but is my request really that much ruder than your insistence?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by synergistic
​​​​​​I don't think that's usually the case, it's not like we sit in even the first dozen rows. Usually the person has passed up several comparable seats before deciding 'that's far enough' and asking me. The vast majority of people are happy to take a seat just a little further, and often get a better seat. I always end up comfortable when someone feels like you and sits in the middle despite my request. I mean, feel free, I won't actually stop you, but is my request really that much ruder than your insistence?
Fortunately I've never had to sit in a middle seat on Southwest. I've always gotten a window seat, though twice it was the last window seat left (when middle seats start filling in from the front and the back).

You didn't say, but I'm going to assume that the window seat is unoccupied at the time you do this. If there are aisle or window seats further back, maybe that person doesn't want to sit further back. Maybe that person is really scared and wants to sit as close to the exit as possible. Maybe that person hates aisle seats and since all the window seats have been taken, a middle seat will do. Maybe that person hates window seats and since all the aisle seats have been taken, a middle seat will do. Whatever the reason is, move out of the way so someone else can sit down. It's called OPEN SEATING. Maybe you two would be happier flying on an airline with assigned seats. The rest of us would, one seat saver at a time.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:54 pm

For the millionth time: Southwest. Allows. Seat. Saving.

(As yet another thread devolves into an argument about seat saving.)
joshua362, justhere and figment7 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Fortunately I've never had to sit in a middle seat on Southwest. I've always gotten a window seat, though twice it was the last window seat left (when middle seats start filling in from the front and the back).

You didn't say, but I'm going to assume that the window seat is unoccupied at the time you do this. If there are aisle or window seats further back, maybe that person doesn't want to sit further back. Maybe that person is really scared and wants to sit as close to the exit as possible. Maybe that person hates aisle seats and since all the window seats have been taken, a middle seat will do. Maybe that person hates window seats and since all the aisle seats have been taken, a middle seat will do. Whatever the reason is, move out of the way so someone else can sit down. It's called OPEN SEATING. Maybe you two would be happier flying on an airline with assigned seats. The rest of us would, one seat saver at a time.
what if it's the third Tuesday of the month, it's after 11AM but before 2:47PM, Jupiter is in retrograde, Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow, and there's a German polka group at the next gate?
joshua362, wrp96 and ursine1 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ursine1
For the millionth time: Southwest. Allows. Seat. Saving.

(As yet another thread devolves into an argument about seat saving.)
Yeah, but we are talking about someone saving a middle seat this time (and someone having a problem with it!). That doesn't happen every day.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Yeah, but we are talking about someone saving a middle seat this time (and someone having a problem with it!). That doesn't happen every day.
Well, it happens more than you might think, but I am a special case. As a COS, I preboard. I generally try to find a window seat after Row 5 and I place my "Reserved Seat" document in the middle. The aisle seat is generally quickly taken. Almost every flight will involve someone asking to take the seat. A certain percentage will get huffy if I say it is saved. I have had people sit down on the card. I have had them complain to the FA. I have had them say "It is open seating and you can't save seats." I do not make a big deal of it because it is a skirmish I always win.
wrp96 and synergistic like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Well, it happens more than you might think, but I am a special case. As a COS, I preboard. I generally try to find a window seat after Row 5 and I place my "Reserved Seat" document in the middle. The aisle seat is generally quickly taken. Almost every flight will involve someone asking to take the seat. A certain percentage will get huffy if I say it is saved. I have had people sit down on the card. I have had them complain to the FA. I have had them say "It is open seating and you can't save seats." I do not make a big deal of it because it is a skirmish I always win.
What is the statement was "sorry, this seat is taken" vs "saved"? Just wondering since the "saving" thing seems to set so many people off.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
What is the statement was "sorry, this seat is taken" vs "saved"? Just wondering since the "saving" thing seems to set so many people off.
I usually say "reserved" as that is what the document says.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:14 am

This is a placard with date, flight # and passenger name?

Only the most combative and obnoxious would challenge that.

Territorial dominance usually involves splashing urine.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
This is a placard with date, flight # and passenger name?

Only the most combative and obnoxious would challenge that.

Territorial dominance usually involves splashing urine.
You forgot illiterate, blind, obtuse or oblivious.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Though you are technically correct - I would guess many would respond with "Southwest does not reserve seats". I agree with your statement, but....
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:15 pm

I think the document, on the seat, from Southwest, stating that the seat is reserved, would prove that statement wrong.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I think you should just let them know that your invisible emotional support animal is sitting in that seat.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
I think you should just let them know that your invisible emotional support animal is sitting in that seat.
Is his name Harvey?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
How would someone even sit there? Don't you have to be too big for one seat to qualify for COS in the first place?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.