Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest flying out of PAE this fall (Update: Probably not happening)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

I could not be more excited. I do not care where they go, I am on board.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...s-paine-field/
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:48 am

Not shocked at all - gotta keep up with Alaska.

My guess is 3x OAK, 1x LAS, 1x DEN
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:59 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Yes, seems like a move to keep up with Alaska on west coast routes. That's a lot of planes though. Will be curious if there's enough demand to keep up with that many flights across 3 airlines, or if there'll be too much capacity for a while. (Assuming an OAK route, I'd be interested in trying it sometime I'm going up that way!)
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:38 pm

How is public transit to PAE?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by olouie
How is public transit to PAE?
Almost non existent right now. I am assuming they will put some decent bus service in from the transit center, and Light Rail is in the planning stages to go in from SEA to there eventually, maybe, 5 years or more I believe.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
My guess is PHX, LAS, OAK.

Let the speculation begin!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
My guess is PHX, LAS, OAK.

How about SLC? Given that Delta is not among the airlines trying for PAE, and SLC is not among the destinations announced by AS, WN would likely have flight from PAE to that Delta hub to themselves! And it would especially ironic given how people in AS forum call what DL is doing at SEA "DL's war for Seattle". So it'd be funny for WN (rather than either AS or DL) to win one battle in this war by flying from PAE to a DL hub.
synergistic likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:07 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Almost non existent right now. I am assuming they will put some decent bus service in from the transit center, and Light Rail is in the planning stages to go in from SEA to there eventually, maybe, 5 years or more I believe.
New estimate 2036, before it was 2041, so 5 years sooner. Just around the corner
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
My guess is PHX, LAS, OAK

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
Not shocked at all - gotta keep up with Alaska.

My guess is 3x OAK, 1x LAS, 1x DEN

My initial thought/guess is very similar. I'd lean more towards DEN over PHX because it's a shorter stage length with almost identical connection options.You could build DEN or LAS with PHX thru service in and out of PAE. But it's Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Seat13c; Jan 26, 2018 at 6:19 am
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Faster turns
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by sdsearch
How about SLC? Given that Delta is not among the airlines trying for PAE, and SLC is not among the destinations announced by AS, WN would likely have flight from PAE to that Delta hub to themselves! And it would especially ironic given how people in AS forum call what DL is doing at SEA "DL's war for Seattle". So it'd be funny for WN (rather than either AS or DL) to win one battle in this war by flying from PAE to a DL hub.
I don't think they have enough gate. Right now, it's just only 2 gates. They had no room to build more gates. Later in the future, they will build more gates. They will bring more airlines at PAE.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I don't think they have enough gate. Right now, it's just only 2 gates. They had no room to build more gates. Later in the future, they will build more gates. They will bring more airlines at PAE.
Paradoxically, if they build too many gates, there will be a fall in traffic. With only two gates, 3 airlines have scrambled to offer as many flights as possible up to the 24 flight limit. If the airport wasn't constrained by NIMBYs and opened with 8 gates, they might have only had G4 to LAS and QX to PDX at first. Certainly, they wouldn't have attracted AS with 13 flights. Maybe they can get county approval to operate a 3rd jetway from the same terminal (situated towards to tower). If the third gate comes with an allowance to a total of 36 flights, there may be sufficient demand.

If there are 5 or 6 gates, AS would start very slowly and slowly build up.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:20 pm

PAE-OAK will definitely be added. I'm going to guess PAE-SMF will be included as well. Primarily because SMF is an important (but overlooked) WN station in California and the West Coast. Sacramento is capital to the sixth largest economy; WN dominates market share at SMF and it's greater region. WN can also offer connections in SMF like it does at OAK to So Cal and LAS. It's also shorter than PHX or DEN distance. It's a route that also will not be covered by AS.

Last edited by beyondhere; Jan 27, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Since there's a limit to 24 flights from PAE, I think the new flights will not necessarily be frequent flights to hubs but will be the 5 highest yield flights that WN can think of. Who know, you might find some oddities such as:
OAK-1, SMF-1, MDW-1, PHX-1, STL-1
or
OAK-1, BWI-1, DAL-1, LAS-1, LAX-1
joshua362 and Zmapper like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2018-...-Field-flights

Alaska is also excited to offer more options to its guests. The airline recently acquired five additional gate times from Southwest Airlines at Paine Field, which would allow Alaska to offer up to 18 daily nonstop departures in early 2019 upon receipt of required government approvals. This would mean more frequencies to several of the previously announced destinations: Las Vegas; Los Angeles; Orange County, California; Phoenix; Portland, Oregon; San Diego; San Francisco; and San Jose, California. The all-jet service would be provided by Horizon Air flying the Embraer 175 aircraft featuring first class and premium class cabins.
It seems like WN had second thoughts about PAE...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.