Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

DL's had enough of fake ESAs- let's hope WN is next!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL's had enough of fake ESAs- let's hope WN is next!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Marriott Titanium Elite, Southwest A-List, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by LegalTender
So, this is when you're not traveling with your ESA?
Correct. When I fly for work, my clients and employer don't particularly care to have a dog around and/or it would be irresponsible/against the rules to leave him at my hotel.

I'm not entirely sure why I have to explain myself to you, but since I can feel the "hur dur so you must not really need the ESA if you go without him for work travel" coming, his assigned purpose is for anger management, and yes, while I travel for work, both myself and the FAs deal with me being very angry.
Marko123 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Matchboxx
I'm A-List and usually A15-25ish. Your mileage may vary, but even with several upgrades to A1-15 and a dozen wheelchairs, I still have managed to get a front seat for my long legs. (To me, the priority boarding is less about being on the plane first, and more about getting a good seat - never had a problem with the latter).
Of course you are in a good mood. You get to board near the front.

All the angst is taking place way behind you.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I still have managed to get a front seat for my long legs.
Y'all funny. The seat pitch is just as long back there in row 23 too.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Y'all funny. The seat pitch is just as long back there in row 23 too.
The front row offers, of course, much, much more legroom than row 23.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ursine1
The front row offers, of course, much, much more legroom than row 23.
... and no easy place to put your stuff . I'm 6'3" and have plenty of room back there.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Yes, for the most part this is definitely the vibe I get from Southwest, and I'm not gonna lie - it's why I heavily support them as a customer. Rather than create conflict, unless it actually jeopardizes the safety or timeliness of the flight, they tend to just let it go. This is much better than airlines that choose to nitpick on things. Maybe other folks on FT appreciate that because they like a specific and defined airline experience that the agents enforce, but I don't. I much prefer that they just provide a good customer experience to everyone by not ruffling feathers where they needn't be ruffled.
Yeah the problem with that is in my experience, WN employees are the ones creating conflict lately. The ticket agents and pilots are great as always but I've personally seen a downward customer service spiral from gate agents and flight attendants. On the flip side over at Delta I've seen an upward trend in customer service from ALL employees. Don't know why that is.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not entirely sure why I have to explain myself to you, but since I can feel the "hur dur so you must not really need the ESA if you go without him for work travel" coming, his assigned purpose is for anger management, and yes, while I travel for work, both myself and the FAs deal with me being very angry.
Interesting. This is the first time I've ever heard someone explain why they need an ESA, and I can see how one would help here.

It seems to me that you should be in favor of tightened documentation requirements, since your need is both legitimate and legitimately prescribed by a legitimate treating physician. The situation right now is problematic because of all the cheaters. The cheaters have turned everyone hostile to ESAs and their companions, and that unfortunately includes people like yourself who is not a cheater. If the ranks of the cheaters can be thinned, it is better for everyone all around, including yourself. Yes, it means a bit more hassle for you initially but if ESA access were limited to people like yourself (and animals that are specifically trained like yours) I would think it would ultimately mean an easier time for you, your animal companion, the airlines, and everyone else on board.
photomikey and rickg523 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... and no easy place to put your stuff . I'm 6'3" and have plenty of room back there.
Sure, but that has nothing to do with your earlier incorrect statement regarding seat pitch.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP, UA 1P
Originally Posted by smmrfld
And the dogs are invariably better-dispositioned than the pax.
I've never seen a passenger take a dump on the airport carpet. I can't say the same for the Pomeranian wearing a "service dog" vest in SEA the other day.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Correct. When I fly for work, my clients and employer don't particularly care to have a dog around and/or it would be irresponsible/against the rules to leave him at my hotel.

So help us out here... When it matters to earn a living and uphold a professional reputation, you can travel and cope without Fido yet the same circumstances when traveling for leisure could invoke a rage? And a quack signed off on this? You must then be traveling with a wife and kids then. 90% of families probably think 100% of Dads have anger management issues!
photomikey likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CA1900
I've never seen a passenger take a dump on the airport carpet. I can't say the same for the Pomeranian wearing a "service dog" vest in SEA the other day.
Plenty of people out there being just as, if not more, disgusting than that. Different disgusting but disgusting nonetheless.
Originally Posted by joshua362
So help us out here... When it matters to earn a living and uphold a professional reputation, you can travel and cope without Fido yet the same circumstances when traveling for leisure could invoke a rage? And a quack signed off on this? You must then be traveling with a wife and kids then. 90% of families probably think 100% of Dads have anger management issues!
I thought about that myself and realized it doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Points to the quackery of the whole ESA thing. If you suffer from a DSM-recognized condition and require an ESA, then you require an ESA and ought to have it with you. If you do not suffer from such a condition, you do not need the ESA.

Unless some qualified physician can medically differentiate between the DSM condition in the work vs. leisure space, this moves from the "I need an ESA" to "life is more pleasant with an ESA." Lots of things in life are more pleasant one way than the other, but that isn't the medical differentiator.
joshua362, photomikey and geo979 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
Points to the quackery of the whole ESA thing. If you suffer from a DSM-recognized condition and require an ESA, then you require an ESA and ought to have it with you. If you do not suffer from such a condition, you do not need the ESA.

Unless some qualified physician can medically differentiate between the DSM condition in the work vs. leisure space, this moves from the "I need an ESA" to "life is more pleasant with an ESA." Lots of things in life are more pleasant one way than the other, but that isn't the medical differentiator.
Just so I understand, your position is that there's not much likelihood a physician can medically differentiate between the DSM condition in work vs leisure, but you can determine a diagnosis as to whether someone can benefit from an ESA? And you've determined they can only benefit if they have the ESA 100% of the time?

I guess people who get stressed at work are faking it?? Point being that someone with a legitimate need for an ESA could be in a situation where they don't have the ESA with them. Unless you are their doctor and know what's best for them, it's probably best not to try and diagnose them.

Last edited by justhere; Jan 25, 2018 at 8:52 pm
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:40 am

Haven't you people ever heard of xanax?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by justhere
Just so I understand, your position is that there's not much likelihood a physician can medically differentiate between the DSM condition in work vs leisure, but you can determine a diagnosis as to whether someone can benefit from an ESA? And you've determined they can only benefit if they have the ESA 100% of the time?

I guess people who get stressed at work are faking it?? Point being that someone with a legitimate need for an ESA could be in a situation where they don't have the ESA with them. Unless you are their doctor and know what's best for them, it's probably best not to try and diagnose them.
That is not what the poster said. He said that he does not fly with his ESA on work-related travel because he does not wish to have to deal with the animal at client locations and the like. This is a matter of personal business preference which is fine. But, it is unlikely that the poster's medical documentation only approves the animal for leisure and not work travel. That has the sound of quackery. It is simply that he chooses not to tote the animal along on business trips although he could. That has the sound of the animal not being necessary and the quack being an enabler.
joshua362 and photomikey like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.