Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The End of Free Drinks?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ursine1
FYI: The Inflight Menu is always available as a pdf download here. (Note that it's sometimes isn't updated immediately.)
Good to know, thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Yesterday, the FA tried to charge me for my first drink, in spite of it being a free drink day (St Patrick's day). He backed down when I showed him the drink menu but I found the whole thing surprising.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Was talking with the FA before my flight and mentioned that my birthday is tomorrow. Fast forward to drink service she initially takes my coupon but she remembered it was my birthday tomorrow so she handed the coupon back to me.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: TrueBlue,RapidRewards
I'm averaging 50% on free drinks without coupon on a 1 Hr route from SNA to SJC past 4 flights.

Last edited by fullcollapseca; Mar 21, 2018 at 3:13 pm Reason: wrong quantity
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Yeah, no. Every other flight at best nowadays I have to actually hand over a coupon. I'm starting to accumulate them faster than I can spend them.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Yeah, no. Every other flight at best nowadays I have to actually hand over a coupon. I'm starting to accumulate them faster than I can spend them.
If the question is "The end of Free Drinks?", and you're still getting them nearly half the time, it certainly appears they're still giving out free drinks.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:21 am

The "no" [didn't make] obvious that's what I'd meant?
ursine1 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Seems like Southwest is clamping down on the freebies.
Nah.

Last few flights, I either didn't get asked for a coupon or even if I did have to cough up one, I'd gotten as many refills as I'd wanted (on their ask).
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:44 am

On 8 recent flights, with 4 drinks purchased, 3 were ultimately charged. On 2 of them it was the very last thing the flight attendant did prior to landing was swiping my Southwest Credit Card (I would hope they would see it was a Southwest card and wave it off, but no luck).
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:44 am

My experience:

Pre-Blue Tablets: 80% free drinks

With Blue Tablets: 50% free on short flights, 0% free on long flights
LegalTender likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
With Blue Tablets: ... 0% free on long flights
... just anecdotally:

SJC-FLL-SAN, 7/'18: 0 coupons on the way there, 3 drinks. 1 coupon on the way back, 3 drinks
SJC-MDW-SJC, 9/'18: 0 coupons outbound, 4 drinks for two people. 0 coupons return, 4 drinks for two people.

I've gotten in the habit of handing out Kick-Asses before deplaning to FAs who let me drink my head off on "long"-hauls w/o even asking for coupons
steved5480 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: SWA - A-list, AA Gold, Hilton Gold
I haven't seen a free drink since the first of the year. Typically, I'm between Denver and Dallas, but also between Denver and SoCal a few times. As a side note, I almost always order doubles, but this last time I only had one coupon and just ordered a single (Jack on the rocks). I'm pretty sure they brought me a double anyway. I'm wondering if I've been wasting coupons ordering doubles?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:20 pm

Everyone here waits to be asked for payment, right? I never show a coupon 'till they request one.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Everyone here waits to be asked for payment, right? I never show a coupon 'till they request one.
Yep, always say I'll pay with cc, which now results in a return trip for the FA later, but hopefully not

edit: SMF-ATL this past SUN, the FA took the cc at the time of order
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:02 am

I also noticed recently that when ordering a mixed drink (or coffee with Bailey's), they prepared the drink themselves, instead of giving me the little liquor bottle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.